Source: UCONN to ACC possibly by Tuesday... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Source: UCONN to ACC possibly by Tuesday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Be prepared to bend over for Raleigh ,Durham a few times a season entering the ACC. Theres a reason why dookies go right from league championships to the end of the bench in the NBA ,and its the style of play.Ive lived in NC for 10 years and get tired of seeing dook get every flippin call known to man and have the tarholes cheat in every way possible and have it hidden.It might be the best of the 2 evils,but to be blunt ,have loved UCONN b ball all my life,but football..eh not so much and having PP at the helm doesnt show any steps towards progress

Yeah, this is what concerns me as well. At least in the Big 10, the games seem to be called evenly. Also, the Big 10 seems to have more staying power and a better financial situation. The only thing the ACC buys us is more exposure in areas rich with basketball recruits and also football recruits. But, when was the last time a team from the ACC other than UNC or Duke won a national championship? Not sure if we would get buried in the ACC like all of the other teams do for some reason.

I can't believe the Big 10 would want Rutgers over us. Why? Because they belong to some bogus academic association? Really?!?!?

Reaction Score
Look at it this way. UConn has always played a finesse brand of ball. We've been hammered by BE refereeing against the likes of Pitt and Marquette and such. This is one of the reason why UConn has middling records in the BE and then excels in the NCAA tourney.

I expect UConn would be hosed in the ACC, if invited. But then again, watching DeJuan Blair and his bulldozer routine wasn't fun either.
Not following this when the league has Pitt leaving and then we are following them into uncharted waters.Also dont buy the officiating reference as we are talking multiple national championships,unless you havent seen the exact opposite of Blair in dooks flopping act

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah, this is what concerns me as well. At least in the Big 10, the games seem to be called evenly. Also, the Big 10 seems to have more staying power and a better financial situation. The only thing the ACC buys us is more exposure in areas rich with basketball recruits and also football recruits. But, when was the last time a team from the ACC other than UNC or Duke won a national championship? Not sure if we would get buried in the ACC like all of the other teams do for some reason.

I can't believe the Big 10 would want Rutgers over us. Why? Because they belong to some bogus academic association? Really?!?!?
Maryland 2002 with Juan Dixon.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Look at it this way. UConn has always played a finesse brand of ball. We've been hammered by BE refereeing against the likes of Pitt and Marquette and such. This is one of the reason why UConn has middling records in the BE and then excels in the NCAA tourney.

I expect UConn would be hosed in the ACC, if invited. But then again, watching DeJuan Blair and his bulldozer routine wasn't fun either.

I get what you're saying but I don't totally agree. We found ourselves in numerous "rock fights" and while sometimes we got out-toughed (like Blair vs Thabeet), nobody could ever say we didn't hold our own. Like you said, it has toughened us up when we go out of conference.

I wouldn't say we've been a finesse program just because we've had good athletes. We play tough defense -- we always are in the national leaders in blocks and DFG%. You don't do that by being a finesse team.

Husky25

Reaction Score

You can say the same thing about the Old Big East too. When was the last time a team from the [Big East] other than [Cuse-2003] or [UConn-1999, 2004, 2011] won a national championship? The answer is 1985 with 'Nova.

Husky25

Reaction Score

Stop watching tape of the 2010-2011 season. UConn has not always played finesse basketball. There have bean outright battles with Pitt, GTown and 'Cuse.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying but I don't totally agree. We found ourselves in numerous "rock fights" and while sometimes we got out-toughed (like Blair vs Thabeet), nobody could ever say we didn't hold our own. Like you said, it has toughened us up when we go out of conference.

I wouldn't say we've been a finesse program just because we've had good athletes. We play tough defense -- we always are in the national leaders in blocks and DFG%. You don't do that by being a finesse team.

It's not question of defense for me. It's a question of mauling the opponent. UConn doesn't do that.

Reaction Score
Stop watching tape of the 2010-2011 season. UConn has not always played finesse basketball. There have bean outright battles with Pitt, GTown and 'Cuse.

It hasn't been one season. Hate to break this to you. This is UConn's MO for 20 years. You're confusing bear-wrassling with tough defense. There's a difference.

Reaction Score
This is the first time that I actually believe it is going to happen. If we go to the ACC it would be great if filled out our schedule by playing some BE schools like Nova, Gtown, St. Johns.

Reaction Score

Big10 is worse in reffing than the ACC.

Reaction Score
Not following this when the league has Pitt leaving and then we are following them into uncharted waters.Also dont buy the officiating reference as we are talking multiple national championships,unless you havent seen the exact opposite of Blair in dooks flopping act

I didn't say UConn struggled against Pitt. I said the refs allowed Pitt to maul UConn. Reffing in the NCAA tourney is different than reffing in the BE. UConn excels in the tourney. Pitt is about to experience a lot of agitation at the hands of ACC refs.

Reaction Score
I didn't say UConn struggled against Pitt. I said the refs allowed Pitt to maul UConn. Reffing in the NCAA tourney is different than reffing in the BE. UConn excels in the tourney. Pitt is about to experience a lot of agitation at the hands of ACC refs.
Everyone experiences agitation when it comes to unc and dook in ACC..Take a look at last seasons ACC tourny when NC State gets shafted by refs and Carolina rolls on

Reaction Score
Everyone experiences agitation when it comes to unc and dook in ACC..Take a look at last seasons ACC tourny when NC State gets shafted by refs and Carolina rolls on

Yes, I know. That's acknowledged. If you think the ACC refs are going to take to Pitt's brand of ball against, say, Clemson, I think you'll be surprised.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It hasn't been one season. Hate to break this to you. This is UConn's MO for 20 years. You're confusing bear-wrassling with tough defense. There's a difference.

You and I have very different definitions of a finesse team. UConn has certainly had finesse players, but there is just no way I can agree that the team as a whole was finesse. If anything, I think Calhoun had very balanced teams, with players able to bang bodies with the likes of Pitt, Cuse, and Gtown (Think Kevin Freeman, Kirk King, Travis Knight, Big E, etc.) but also to run and gun with Texas, Duke, and Kentucky (Ray, Rip, Ben G, et al.). You can't win 7 Big East Tournaments and 3 NC, by being finesse.

Reaction Score
My point is UCONN is taking their strong point ,bball and having it diluted by officiating,changing the programs structure .Im pretty familiar with how the refs call the game in ACC living here 15 years.

Reaction Score
You and I have very different definitions of a finesse team. UConn has certainly had finesse players, but there is just no way I can agree that the team as a whole was finesse. If anything, I think Calhoun had very balanced teams, with players able to bang bodies with the likes of Pitt, Cuse, and Gtown (Think Kevin Freeman, Kirk King, Travis Knight, Big E, etc.) but also to run and gun with Texas, Duke, and Kentucky (Ray, Rip, Ben G, et al.). You can't win 7 Big East Tournaments and 3 NC, by being finesse.

This is what I mean. You think Freeman and Travis Knight and Josh Boone and the like have been throwing weight around? No, they've been like Dennis Rodman. They play proper. What you get with some of these other schools is totally different.

Reaction Score
My point is UCONN is taking their strong point ,bball and having it diluted by officiating,changing the programs structure .Im pretty familiar with how the refs call the game in ACC living here 15 years.

I think it will be enhanced by officiating, even if that means annual WTH games against UNC and Duke (which won't happen, by the way, not in a 14-16 team league).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Actually Boone was a guy who I thought played with more finesse than necessary (He, along with Hilton Armstrong, irratated me in the Elite 8 game vs GMU). He is not in the same category as Freeman.

I was about to mention Saunders, but playing dirty is not the same as playing hard...:)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And this is the thing I most dread about getting in bed with lung cancer.

Reaction Score

pasqualoni will be gone within a year (maybe 2 if were unlucky), one good coach makes all the difference.
this will be fixed very soon.
back when i lived in gville, ecu went through 4 bad coaches in 4 years. it can happen.

Reaction Score
same to ya amigo...actually ecu is in the exact opposite position,decent fb program but horrendous bb program and facility.Being out of state its difficult to keep the pulse on the fb program,but I just cant see putting a retread tire/coach on your car and tell people you are getting ready to race it.

sorry.
above i quoted the wrong post.

take my comments, and apply them to this post :)

Reaction Score
in reading the GTech, NCState, etc boards, nobody seems to want UCONN. Want Louisville or no one. UCONN is seen as adding no value. Just passing along info.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
in reading the GTech, NCState, etc boards, nobody seems to want UCONN. Want Louisville or no one. UCONN is seen as adding no value. Just passing along info.

Because football brings revenue. Basketball does not.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
And UConn lost is HOF bb coach. Louisville still has its HOF bb coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom