Somewhat OT - UMASS starts cancelling OOC games | The Boneyard

Somewhat OT - UMASS starts cancelling OOC games

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While it may not be possible due to Army's recent conference affiliation, I would like to see if we could pick up a couple of the games with Army that UMass cancelled.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
While it may not be possible due to Army's recent conference affiliation, I would like to see if we could pick up a couple of the games with Army that UMass cancelled.
Army will not schedule us. They have two open games a year and they will use them to schedule an FCS team and low-end ACC or Big Ten team.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Not interested in playing Troy or UMass.

Reaction Score
Why do you say that? I am not debating or being adversarial. I am genuinely asking. With UConn being an independent for the time being I would think they need to get whoever they can get in the G5 or P-whatever the number is now. It's not like UConn Football is good enough to think playing a team in the divisions is beneath them.

Reaction Score
Why do you say that? I am not debating or being adversarial. I am genuinely asking. With UConn being an independent for the time being I would think they need to get whoever they can get in the G5 or P-whatever the number is now. It's not like UConn Football is good enough to think playing a team in the divisions is beneath them.

Agreed. We are not in a position to dictate ANYTHING in football. We have to play (and hopefully beat) the teams in our orbit before we move up.

Reaction Score
Shizzle, I understand your sentiment, BUT:
1. As an independent with a horrendous track history in the last decade, UConn has to schedule the best available matchups.
2. Troy, App State, & their ilk would have beaten UConn handily in their post-Fiesta bowl incarnation.
3. Which would you rather watch in the immediate future? Scheduled games where the Huskies have a fighting chance to win or a beat down a la the last Michigan game? The Huskies have to gain credibility in the won-loss column & beating the likes on Troy, UMass, etc. on a consistent basis is a means to do so. The Huskies are building to make themselves a more attractive option in any future conference realignment, & winning records matter,

shizzle787

Reaction Score
That's just a dumb sentiment... You build up to it. You challenge lesser teams and best them first and when you're doing that regularly then you step up the level of opponents.
With the transfer portal, you don’t need to do that. As long as we make bowl games, I would rather lose to UNC than Troy.

Reaction Score
To be the best you need to at least attempt to play the best.
Okay Ric Flair.

Excited Ric Flair GIF

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
To be the best you need to at least attempt to play the best.
to be the best you need to win more than 8 games in a season, and the last time that happened was when dubya was president

Reaction Score
Don’t really care about umess, but near brain death may be required to not understand mutual benefits exist in scheduling the nearest FBS team. Particularly a late season game for soon to be 1 of only 2 independents.

As for Troy, other G5s exist in UConn’s targeted recruiting regions, in areas with more Connecticut alumni and other UConn fans, e.g., potentially relocated Nutmeggers, etc. However, Troy may be relatively close for some players’ FL and GA parents, friends, etc. If the dates make sense for both schools, it won’t be surprising for a game to be scheduled with the Troy whatevers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Okay Ric Flair.

Excited Ric Flair GIF
Lol, you say that like it's a bad thing. After all Dan Hurley just made an appearance on at WWF event.

For what it's worth, I get what Shizzle is saying. You want to associate yourself with where you want to be, not with those you're trying to separate from. That said, I also get the point that getting blasted by better teams isn't the best marketing and is downright unpleasant to sit and watch. I don't think the answer is an either or approach. You need a smart mix.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think I would literally die.
Maybe not, but you're pretty much guaranteed to break or tear something on the first play or two.

Reaction Score
Lol, you say that like it's a bad thing. After all Dan Hurley just made an appearance on at WWF event.

For what it's worth, I get what Shizzle is saying. You want to associate yourself with where you want to be, not with those you're trying to separate from. That said, I also get the point that getting blasted by better teams isn't the best marketing and is downright unpleasant to sit and watch. I don't think the answer is an either or approach. You need a smart mix.
It was just a jab at how he wrote that. The next line should have been, "Dusty Rhodes, Friday night at the Omni in Atlanta, it's me and you buddy!".

Reaction Score
Shizzle, I understand your sentiment, BUT:
1. As an independent with a horrendous track history in the last decade, UConn has to schedule the best available matchups.
2. Troy, App State, & their ilk would have beaten UConn handily in their post-Fiesta bowl incarnation.
3. Which would you rather watch in the immediate future? Scheduled games where the Huskies have a fighting chance to win or a beat down a la the last Michigan game? The Huskies have to gain credibility in the won-loss column & beating the likes on Troy, UMass, etc. on a consistent basis is a means to do so. The Huskies are building to make themselves a more attractive option in any future conference realignment, & winning records matter,
Winning records matter a lot especially considering they will increase fan attendance for home games. That will increase revenue via gate receipts but also it can create a loud atmosphere which will look and sound good on TV and those optics matter a lot in conference realignment.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Army will not schedule us. They have two open games a year and they will use them to schedule an FCS team and low-end ACC or Big Ten team.
And which of those two categories did the UMass games (which UMass cancelled) fall?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom