Some X’s and O’s stuff | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some X’s and O’s stuff

Reaction Score
He's also entertaining. Watching him have to be warned by a ref not to push his players into their positions was funny. Sixth man on the court. Passionate. Similar to Mulkey but without the major controversy.
During the Calhoun era UConn played for about 8 to 10 seconds 6 on 5 and quickly got the extra guy off the court before the refs could notice. The announcers were having great fun with this. If you only watch WCBB, the men's game can be entertaining too.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The many faces of Dan Hurley

C032BD03-98C2-48A3-AE77-53729E2E742B.jpeg

Reaction Score
During the Calhoun era UConn played for about 8 to 10 seconds 6 on 5 and quickly got the extra guy off the court before the refs could notice. The announcers were having great fun with this. If you only watch WCBB, the men's game can be entertaining too.
I do watch the men’s game?

Reaction Score
I do watch the men’s game?
Fan, I wasn't meaning to imply otherwise. It's just that your 6th man comment reminded me of the time UConn accidentally had 6 guys on the court. I wouldn't want to be the guy who was wrong in Calhoun's Lockeroom. Both Dan and Geno are downright sedate compared to Jim Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Fan, I wasn't meaning to imply otherwise. It's just that your 6th man comment reminded me of the time UConn accidentally had 6 guys on the court. I wouldn't want to be the guy who was wrong in Calhoun's Lockeroom. Both Dan and Geno are downright sedate compared to Jim Calhoun.
Ah gotcha.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. When Geno had full teams with healthy bodies, his offense ran much the same way with a finite number of basic sets but with players jointly reading the defense and running variations depending upon what the defense was giving up or taking away. Tweaks were done based upon who was on the floor. His teams ran stuff just as complicated as Danny’s schemes. Unfortunately, with the Women’s teams injury situation over the last several years and with the need to play freshman and newcomers, Geno was forced to simplify the playbook, so the parallels to the Men’s team are better remembered by folks who remember watching the 90 and 111 game winning streaks (nearly all of which were by double digits.)
Agree to disagree.

Per the video I posted prior, I've never seen an offense, men or women, elementary school to pros, in my lifetime, run so many eclectic secondary, and teritary screening set rotations, off-ball, on-ball, replete with fake screens to back door, etc.. To wit, Donny Marshall on the live broadcast mischaractierized a play as "improvisation" where the bloke on the video proved him wrong, with examples. Be interesting to look at the ball possession per offensive set metric, with which UConn led the country.

Either way, aligned to this thread, for me, the men's game under Danny Hurley, is much-watch-TV. Bloke's a unicorn, UConn is incredibly blessed to have him, as they also are with Auriemma and Dailey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom