Some random thoughts....Gampel, rules experiment, etc.... | The Boneyard

Some random thoughts....Gampel, rules experiment, etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
So I took the wife and 3 of her friends to see UConn play Vangard and was surprised to see how run down Gampel's dome looks. The dome needs a lot of work. Its almost embarrassing.

Why the subdued lighting in the stands? I didn't like the look in person and the stream made it look too blue. I felt like I was at the circus and not a basketball game.

Not a fan of the 10 minute quarters but I could get use to it, I guess......what I could NOT get use to is the need to play music after EVERY DEAD BALL!!!! THAT I found quite annoying......that person just made my "Ball Peen Hammer" list.......

There is something wrong when parking is almost as much as a ticket. Sign said $12 for parking but only paid $8, ticket was $10.......wrong, very wrong.....

Larger lanes .....I like.....men's size bball I like.....24 shot clock, I like......8 sec back court, don't like, 10 sec is plenty.....10 minuet quarters, like I said before, not a fan but get use to it.

More pep band than music after every dead ball................

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I guess.what I could NOT get use to is the need to play music after EVERY DEAD BALL!!!! THAT I found quite annoying.that person just made my "Ball Peen Hammer" list...
More pep band than music after every dead ball......

Sounds like you went to a LOUD MUSIC CONCERT and occasionally a basketball fame broke out. :confused:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Larger lanes .....I like.....men's size bball I like.....24 shot clock, I like.8 sec back court, don't like, 10 sec is plenty.....10 minuet quarters, like I said before, not a fan but get use to it.

Like and Agree

Reaction Score
Why the subdued lighting in the stands? I didn't like the look in person and the stream made it look too blue. I felt like I was at the circus and not a basketball game.

That's actually the default for many / most arenas. Look no further than the XL center. The upper levels are not lit there. Madison Square Garden, same thing. I know when I attended Virginia Tech, at Cassell Coliseum, same thing. The completely illuminated arena at Gampel was fairly unique.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why the subdued lighting in the stands?
Could it be because...

The dome needs a lot of work. Its almost embarrassing...

FYI - Dome repair and improving access to the roof is scheduled for 2016. I know that a new concourse will be added as well, but I don't recall if that was scheduled for 2016.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually like the 4 quarters, though it does take a little adjustment - with fewer media stops and coaches saving their TOs the game action actually feels longer.
I can see the advantage to a smaller/lighter ball for women, but the men's ball just bounces differently on the rim and backboard - it 'looks' heavier when it hits and almost sits on the rim for a second - definitely like that action more than the women's ball and I think it does make for better shooting, especially on layups. One suspects there should be a way to make a women's ball less bouncy even if you keep it the same size and weight.

The 24/8 seconds does push the pace, not sure it makes much difference except when a team presses full court - something to get used to but not that noticeable in most games because most shots are taken in a 24 second window.
I had thought they were also going to be using the 18 sec reset after an offensive rebound but they used the 24 reset. I wouldn't mind the shorter reset - again, usually doesn't make a difference, but ... It would make a difference in the last five minutes of a relatively tight game where an offensive rebound for the leading time bleeds another half minute from the clock.

On the ball - I wonder if the large number of steals off the dribble in this game was partly a result of the slower return off the floor of the men's ball, allowing quick hands a split second more time to intercept it?

It is a little difficult to make any real pronouncements based on the complete mismatch in talent in this game. I really hope the committee does implement at least some of these rules for the WNIT as that should be much tighter competition and could give a better read.

Last thought - the wider lane should make free throw rebounding more competitive, as it gives the offensive player more room to work against the inside position of the defender - hard to see in this game again because of the height/talent disparity.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you went to a LOUD MUSIC CONCERT and occasionally a basketball fame broke out. :confused:
It is the signs (sounds) of the times. Everything is about "marketing a product". Have you noticed the loudness and number of TV commercials? The Pep Band has a function at games. But after every dead ball is a bit much. Some quiet time that allow fans to talk game should not be over-rated. Oh how I long for the old Field house. (not really).

Reaction Score
I actually like the 4 quarters, though it does take a little adjustment - with fewer media stops and coaches saving their TOs the game action actually feels longer.
I can see the advantage to a smaller/lighter ball for women, but the men's ball just bounces differently on the rim and backboard - it 'looks' heavier when it hits and almost sits on the rim for a second - definitely like that action more than the women's ball and I think it does make for better shooting, especially on layups. One suspects there should be a way to make a women's ball less bouncy even if you keep it the same size and weight.

The 24/8 seconds does push the pace, not sure it makes much difference except when a team presses full court - something to get used to but not that noticeable in most games because most shots are taken in a 24 second window.
I had thought they were also going to be using the 18 sec reset after an offensive rebound but they used the 24 reset. I wouldn't mind the shorter reset - again, usually doesn't make a difference, but ... It would make a difference in the last five minutes of a relatively tight game where an offensive rebound for the leading time bleeds another half minute from the clock.

On the ball - I wonder if the large number of steals off the dribble in this game was partly a result of the slower return off the floor of the men's ball, allowing quick hands a split second more time to intercept it?

It is a little difficult to make any real pronouncements based on the complete mismatch in talent in this game. I really hope the committee does implement at least some of these rules for the WNIT as that should be much tighter competition and could give a better read.

Last thought - the wider lane should make free throw rebounding more competitive, as it gives the offensive player more room to work against the inside position of the defender - hard to see in this game again because of the height/talent disparity.

I read Jeff Jacobs column about the Vanguard game and "rule changes therein". He quoted Geno often and every "innovation" put into the Vanguard game apparently is currently used in FIBA sanctioned BB. So, if our kids are going to compete in FIBA games--they should be ready to play them. Also Geno said (in my words) that learning all these changes may be an effort it won't take long to do. Look at the first half and second half 3 ball shooting percentages. Uconn learned quickly.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I read Jeff Jacobs column about the Vanguard game and "rule changes therein". He quoted Geno often and every "innovation" put into the Vanguard game apparently is currently used in FIBA sanctioned BB. So, if our kids are going to compete in FIBA games--they should be ready to play them. Also Geno said (in my words) that learning all these changes may be an effort it won't take long to do. Look at the first half and second half 3 ball shooting percentages. Uconn learned quickly.
The only non-FIBA item is the ball - the women's Fiba ball is #6 and not the #7. I had thought the international ball was bigger and the spec may be slightly different, but it is essentially the same as the NCAA women's ball.

Reaction Score
So I took the wife and 3 of her friends to see UConn play Vangard and was surprised to see how run down Gampel's dome looks. The dome needs a lot of work. Its almost embarrassing.

Not a fan of the 10 minute quarters but I could get use to it, I guess.what I could NOT get use to is the need to play music after EVERY DEAD BALL!!!! THAT I found quite annoying.that person just made my "Ball Peen Hammer" list..

There is something wrong when parking is almost as much as a ticket. Sign said $12 for parking but only paid $8, ticket was $10..wrong, very wrong.....

Larger lanes .....I like.....men's size bball I like.....24 shot clock, I like.8 sec back court, don't like, 10 sec is plenty.....10 minuet quarters, like I said before, not a fan but get use to it.

More pep band than music after every dead ball......
I agree with you. I like the quarters because it takes away one mandaroty timeout in each half. I don't know when the constant loud music started at these events, but none of us that go to the games like it. It is just as bad at The CT Sun games. The subsued lighting in the arena is new this year.

Reaction Score
The only non-FIBA item is the ball - the women's Fiba ball is #6 and not the #7. I had thought the international ball was bigger and the spec may be slightly different, but it is essentially the same as the NCAA women's ball.
Thank you, I'm not much on the size of anything so I wasn't aware of the numbers associated with WBB's. Thanks.
I was just semi-quoting (usually that mean's lying) the Jacob article quoting Geno. I try not to miss speak or miss write but I sometimes lose thoughts from reading to writing. Thanks Point of my previous posting is;
what I thought was a bad idea I now get why it's a good idea.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Could it be because...

FYI - Dome repair and improving access to the roof is scheduled for 2016. I know that a new concourse will be added as well, but I don't recall if that was scheduled for 2016.
The lights are pointed at the dome and not the floor.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
It is the signs (sounds) of the times. Everything is about "marketing a product". Have you noticed the loudness and number of TV commercials? The Pep Band has a function at games. But after every dead ball is a bit much. Some quiet time that allow fans to talk game should not be over-rated. Oh how I long for the old Field house. (not really).

:( I didn't mean say have the Pep band play after every dead ball. Like you I would rather talk with friends than have to listen to music (not good music at that)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting deflating the ball a little? :eek:
I'm fine with the size being smaller, but I agree on the less bouncy. There are times when on a missed three it bounces around like a beach ball. Note the high frequency of mis-timed jumps on a rebound in WBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom