Some Numbers on Recruiting | The Boneyard

Some Numbers on Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of course this is not the most positive thing to dwell on, but its something that I was interested in looking into. Of the 142 committed recruits from the ESPN100 of the 2013 and 2014 classes, these are the conferences they are headed to.

ACC - 19% (27)
SEC - 18% (26)
BIG: - 13% (19)
NBE - 13% (19)
BXII - 9% (13)
PAC - 8% (11)
AAC - 7% (10)

2% was lost in the round of decimals so that the average 'yarder wouldn't have a problem reading this, so 89% of top recruits are headed to those 7 conferences. If you take the Big East as it was constructed last season, it would be bringing in 29 ESPN100 players, good for 20%. ACC would lose about 7 committed players, making the old BE the best collector of talent. So instead of being in a conference that would attract 1 in 5 top 100 recruits, UConn is now in a conference that attracts 1 in 14. In even happier news, despite having its hands tied last recruiting season and only having one committed 2014 player, UConn is responsible for 20% of the AAC's incoming top 100 players.

Happy Sunday morning!

Reaction Score
Based on all the conference realignment stuff I don't care too much about the conference anymore. If the AAC has ten kids in the top 100 them hopefully Uconn has 7 of them! We have to look at things like we are Gonzaga or Butler now except a much better pedigree.

Reaction Score
As long as UConn continues to bring in 4 and 5 star players that's fine by me. I never rooted for other schools in our conference anyway

Reaction Score
As long as UConn continues to bring in 4 and 5 star players that's fine by me. I never rooted for other schools in our conference anyway

At one time I did root for our 'partners' but no more.

Reaction Score
Hey some of those nbe might have committed before the BE breakdown

Reaction Score
Based on all the conference realignment stuff I don't care too much about the conference anymore. If the AAC has ten kids in the top 100 them hopefully Uconn has 7 of them! We have to look at things like we are Gonzaga or Butler now except a much better pedigree.

We are not Butler. At all. ever.

Reaction Score
I still root for our conference because I do not want the AAC to be UCONN and no one else. Ie we use to say the ACC was UNC and Duke and no one else. When that happens your record is questioned, your RPI rating is lowere and that usually affects your seeding. I also want to see the conference put as many teams into the NCAA tour. so that UCONN earns credits/$ that help the AD dept.. A lot of reasons to care about how your conference is doing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I still root for our conference because I do not want the AAC to be UCONN and no one else. Ie we use to say the ACC was UNC and Duke and no one else. When that happens your record is questioned, your RPI rating is lowere and that usually affects your seeding. I also want to see the conference put as many teams into the NCAA tour. so that UCONN earns credits/$ that help the AD dept.. A lot of reasons to care about how your conference is doing.
I'm with you! Great points. But I won't look back at the AAC for one nanosecond when UConn gets to the B!G. Or if UConn gets to the ACC I'll hold my nose but still won't look back! Will always look back to the original BE!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Of course this is not the most positive thing to dwell on, but its something that I was interested in looking into. Of the 142 committed recruits from the ESPN100 of the 2013 and 2014 classes, these are the conferences they are headed to.

ACC - 19% (27)
SEC - 18% (26)
BIG: - 13% (19)
NBE - 13% (19)
BXII - 9% (13)
PAC - 8% (11)
AAC - 7% (10)

2% was lost in the round of decimals so that the average 'yarder wouldn't have a problem reading this, so 89% of top recruits are headed to those 7 conferences. If you take the Big East as it was constructed last season, it would be bringing in 29 ESPN100 players, good for 20%. ACC would lose about 7 committed players, making the old BE the best collector of talent. So instead of being in a conference that would attract 1 in 5 top 100 recruits, UConn is now in a conference that attracts 1 in 14. In even happier news, despite having its hands tied last recruiting season and only having one committed 2014 player, UConn is responsible for 20% of the AAC's incoming top 100 players.

Happy Sunday morning!
Thanks for the workup. I'm not as gloomy about those numbers. I want UConn to belong to a strong conference for all the points mcs333 makes. A better way of evaluating things is distribution of better players per team. The numbers you throw out bias conferences with more teams against conferences with less teams. We can argue that a 16 team conference splitting 16 top 100 players is the same as a ten team conference getting 10 top players.

Reaction Score
I still root for our conference because I do not want the AAC to be UCONN and no one else....

Memphis, Temple and Cinci aren't going anywhere. They're all solid third-tier majors with good history - both recent and long-standing - that will make the tourney year after year and occasionally make a run to the Elite 8.

The two Flordia teams are aggressive up-and-comers, while Houston is a sleeper who could reach that third tier with Memphis, Temple and Cinci if they put together a good recruiting class or two.

In other words, the AAC is fine. Our guys (and gals) will get to wear the bull's eye game after game, which will only help come tournament time.

K

Kemballin'

As long as kids keep looking at our school and not our conference I think we're good to go. Being in a great conference and playing against great competition in the BE was an upside, I'll admit that, but every great program has to come from somewhere, and we have a few great up-and-coming teams in this conference.

If we can get enough good out-of-conference games, I think we can continue to get good recruits and maintain elite status.

Reaction Score
As long as kids keep looking at our school and not our conference I think we're good to go. Being in a great conference and playing against great competition in the BE was an upside, I'll admit that, but every great program has to come from somewhere, and we have a few great up-and-coming teams in this conference.

If we can get enough good out-of-conference games, I think we can continue to get good recruits and maintain elite status.
This is what we have to hope for in no man's land especially when nothing is likely to happen conference wise for a long time. Not as worried anout this year as maybe 2 down the road. We need a high quality big man to stop the bleeding and keep the conference thing from being a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom