So what UConn did the first two times didn't work out so well, what do they do different this time? | The Boneyard

So what UConn did the first two times didn't work out so well, what do they do different this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First off, I love our team. They are gritty. They have some players with elite skills. But they have some glaring deficiencies that makes them match up poorly against UL. I'm just not sure any adjustment can make up for these things. I'm not saying we can't beat them. IMO, to do so, Russ Smith needs to have a bad game or get into foul trouble, spending a lot of time on the bench, and it sure would help if Harrell, who simply has abused all our bigs, find his *ss on the bench for long stretches as well. I think our team D can slow Smith some if we can limit UL's transition game, but I'm not sure we have any answers for Harrell to move him off the blocks once he gets the ball close to the basket. The key here will be to play denial defense, limiting his touches down low. If they need to double him once he gets the ball, I'm not sure that would help stop him in the first place, but will make us vulnerable on the perimeter for kick out Js or drives, which won't turn out well for our team.

This is one of those match-ups that I don't know which is more problematic, UConn stopping or slowing UL's offense or UConn scoring against their match-up zone.

Although I don't want our Huskies to try to run with UL, there is one adjustment that KO made in the second half against UC, that I'd like to see him right from the tip. I was screaming late in the first half during the chat for UConn to look for early offense in the half-court. What I mean by this is attack the basket before their half-court D is set. This is different than unstructured transition offense, but getting down the court quickly where the guards immediately attacking the paint before the half-court D sets up. Kemba was the best I've ever seen at running behind an opposing big who was trying to get into his half-court defensive position, using him as a moving screen on his way to the basket. How this differs from all out transition hoops, is your not trying to beat the other team down the floor, but instead try to make your scoring decision before they set their D. And making sure you don't over-commit too many people close to the basket, where you leave too many opposing players behind you, and be prone to odd number run outs going the other direction. KO executed this perfectly in the 2nd half against UC. They began to attacked the paint immediately, not waiting to set up their half-court offense. Late in the game when they were up, they begin to run off some clock and they struggled again to get good shots, but there comes a time in the game when you want to do that. I just don't like to see them stop attacking unless you're under the 2:00 to 2:30 mark and are up by no less than 3 possessions. It's amazing how many opportunities a team will have to score even under 2 minutes to go. Maybe the stats tell a different story, but I bet taking good early shots has a better outcome than running 30 seconds and not scoring because you got a crappy look or no look at all. Of course, taking quick bad shots is clearly not the way to go.

So against UL, I'd attack early at the beginning of the game and hope to get an early lead. Slow it down at times to change the pace if UL gets some transition offense off this, so that they don't go on a roll.

On D, I'm not sure what they can do differently, other than try to keep it as much as possible to a half-court game. Strange to think that this is how a UConn team should play, but UL demolishes teams that try to run with them. I guess as noted above, deny Harrell or try to push him as far away from the basket without fouling. The problem with fronting, is if a perimeter shot goes up, he'll have inside position and will kill us on the glass if the shot is missed. The other is use tough perimeter help defense using the guards and wing more than the bigs if all possible but rarely leave Smith unguarded. Make others beat us, but UL has plenty of weapons, such as Hancock, if he's left open or gets hot can destroy you like Giffey has been doing throughout the season, especially lately.

Reaction Score
I think we need to implement some of that 99 championship defense on Harrell, like we did to Brand....Harrell is not as good as Brand, but we are not as good down low as that Uconn team all around...although Brimah, is getting better every game.

Reaction Score
When Louisville is in man, I want to see UConn eliminate the ball screen with the big. UConn's guards are so small that when Louisville blitzes that screen, the ball handler cannot see over the larger players to get the ball to an open player, and there are plenty of open players while Louisville is rotating. I'd rather use small and/or wing players to set that screen.

When Louisville is in zone, I would hope that they begin to use the pull up in the paint and also, leave someone on the baseline to catch a feed when the help steps up.

Defensively, I want more physicality, though given the lack of depth, this could be an issue if the fouls pile up. Louisville only shoots 66% from the line, nothing clean and easy.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
They need to stay in the game mentally and not play timidly. Nolan needs to forget about the whistles and go full force on rebounding and shot-blocking attempts.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I want to see UCONN foul HARD early in the game. Louisville had a good time showboating late in the last game. I want someone expendable (Olander?) to knock a driving Card to his backside about 2 rows deep. We played way too soft in the last game and I want Louisville to know that we're friggin' UCONN and this is the postseason. They need to know that last week's game (and last weeks opponent) is ancient history.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

EXACTLY. We will be playing in a road environment and I want everyone in that arena to know that there is a difference between playing a regular season UCONN team and a postseason UCONN team.

Reaction Score
It's not about X's and O's. It's about having the mental and physical toughness to compete with them and withstand the adversity and pressure.

I'm not a big body language guy but like the last game, we may know early on how it will go simply by their body language.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
All we need are balls. The rest is window dressing.

Sr-Testiculo-3.jpg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The absolute number one thing UConn needs to do is GET BACK ON DEFENSE. If we contain their transition offense, then I think it's going to be a close game. If not, it's going to be very hard to avoid getting blown out.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I like DM's suggestion. Generating open looks for Giffeye / DD has been hard with UL's length and disruptive ability in the halfcourt, and this also affects rebounding, obviously. Hope Amida can continue to make blocks on the defensive end, he needs to avoid quick fouls early in the first half. And everybody has to just hustle to loose balls, as always.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I want to see UCONN foul HARD early in the game. Louisville had a good time showboating late in the last game. I want someone expendable (Olander?) to knock a driving Card to his backside about 2 rows deep. We played way too soft in the last game and I want Louisville to know that we're friggin' UCONN and this is the postseason. They need to know that last week's game (and last weeks opponent) is ancient history.
yeah!

Reaction Score
We have no shot unless we are MUCH better against the press than we were last night. This team is brutal against the press right now - their plan of attack always seems to be to inbound the ball into the corner, which is something you learn around fifth grade not to do. It's baffling. Boatright and Napier also seem to have a tough time getting separation away from the ball when they're being face guarded.

The other problem is obviously the match-up zone. It's basically a zone with extremely aggressive hedging principles against Napier and Boatright, and it just seems to stifle us every time.

There are no secrets here. Louisville has played us the exact same way dating back to the second half of our first game with them Kemba's final year.

Reaction Score
I like your thinking.

Reaction Score
We need to hope for a tight whistle and Boat needs to continue to drive and kick. Daniels needs to step up big time and score from the high post. You beat the zone from the middle - I hope we don't see more high ball screens vs. the zone. Our 2011 team was either lucky or very good at getting the oppositions mismatch player into foul trouble. We had no one to D up Kawhi or DWilliams. Daniels needs to get Harrell into foul trouble.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I think we need to implement some of that 99 championship defense on Harrell, like we did to Brand....Harrell is not as good as Brand, but we are not as good down low as that Uconn team all around...although Brimah, is getting better every game.

That was my first thought as well.

Personally, I think showing a couple of different rosters might be helpful. I wouldn't mind seeing more minutes with a three-guard offense, utilizing Samuel to crash the lane and draw fouls while UL is concentrating on Bazz & Boat. And when TS isn't on the floor, B&B need to ensure Giff gets open looks from the corners.

Ultimately, Brimah is the one who could be the game changer. Ville always seemed to have issue with Thabeet. Not saying I expect that from Brimah, but if he can channel his inner Thabeet, that would be huge.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Would be nice if we overloaded the zone a bit more - - have 4 or maybe even all 5 players on one side of the court. Might be able to expose some mismatches that way.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ultimately, Brimah is the one who could be the game changer. Ville always seemed to have issue with Thabeet. Not saying I expect that from Brimah, but if he can channel his inner Thabeet, that would be huge.

Trouble is, I feel like Harrell is to Brimah what Dejuan Blair was to Thabeet. That said...

APBrimah.jpg

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Agreed.

images

Reaction Score
In the middle of the 2nd half last night, Ollie implored Bazz and Boat to attack the basket quickly without all the foreplay that allowed UC's (and previously, Ville's) guards to trap and harass them on the perimeter. I thought this was the turning point in the game. We began attacking the lane, drawing fouls, getting second chance baskets, and being generally disruptive.

Prior to that Bazz would try to stage the offense from above the circle, with most of the movement and passing going to the wings. This allowed the defense multiple double team and triple team opportunities on each possession. Our offense was getting killed until we shifted to a fast attack, down the middle penetration that let our guards go against the Bearcats bigs, freeing our bigs to cleanup the misses and keep the ball alive . It was a game changer, and I think it's what we need to do against Louis V.

Reaction Score
I just think we should cut to the chase and just spike their damn gatorade.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Take Smith out with a strategically placed knee to the nads during the tip-off.

Reaction Score
Monitoring the minutes of Boatright and Napier is crucial. Louisville plays such a frenetic style that those two are going to wear down if Ollie doesn't get them breathers every once in a while. Preferably, those two should play no more than 35 minutes, 36 at the most. Samuel better be ready.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
First off, I love our team. They are gritty. They have some players with elite skills. But they have some glaring deficiencies that makes them match up poorly against UL. I'm just not sure any adjustment can make up for these things. I'm not saying we can't beat them. IMO, to do so, Russ Smith needs to have a bad game or get into foul trouble, spending a lot of time on the bench, and it sure would help if Harrell, who simply has abused all our bigs, find his *ss on the bench for long stretches as well. I think our team D can slow Smith some if we can limit UL's transition game, but I'm not sure we have any answers for Harrell to move him off the blocks once he gets the ball close to the basket. The key here will be to play denial defense, limiting his touches down low. If they need to double him once he gets the ball, I'm not sure that would help stop him in the first place, but will make us vulnerable on the perimeter for kick out Js or drives, which won't turn out well for our team.

This is one of those match-ups that I don't know which is more problematic, UConn stopping or slowing UL's offense or UConn scoring against their match-up zone.

Although I don't want our Huskies to try to run with UL, there is one adjustment that KO made in the second half against UC, that I'd like to see him right from the tip. I was screaming late in the first half during the chat for UConn to look for early offense in the half-court. What I mean by this is attack the basket before their half-court D is set. This is different than unstructured transition offense, but getting down the court quickly where the guards immediately attacking the paint before the half-court D sets up. Kemba was the best I've ever seen at running behind an opposing big who was trying to get into his half-court defensive position, using him as a moving screen on his way to the basket. How this differs from all out transition hoops, is your not trying to beat the other team down the floor, but instead try to make your scoring decision before they set their D. And making sure you don't over-commit too many people close to the basket, where you leave too many opposing players behind you, and be prone to odd number run outs going the other direction. KO executed this perfectly in the 2nd half against UC. They began to attacked the paint immediately, not waiting to set up their half-court offense. Late in the game when they were up, they begin to run off some clock and they struggled again to get good shots, but there comes a time in the game when you want to do that. I just don't like to see them stop attacking unless you're under the 2:00 to 2:30 mark and are up by no less than 3 possessions. It's amazing how many opportunities a team will have to score even under 2 minutes to go. Maybe the stats tell a different story, but I bet taking good early shots has a better outcome than running 30 seconds and not scoring because you got a crappy look or no look at all. Of course, taking quick bad shots is clearly not the way to go.

So against UL, I'd attack early at the beginning of the game and hope to get an early lead. Slow it down at times to change the pace if UL gets some transition offense off this, so that they don't go on a roll.

On D, I'm not sure what they can do differently, other than try to keep it as much as possible to a half-court game. Strange to think that this is how a UConn team should play, but UL demolishes teams that try to run with them. I guess as noted above, deny Harrell or try to push him as far away from the basket without fouling. The problem with fronting, is if a perimeter shot goes up, he'll have inside position and will kill us on the glass if the shot is missed. The other is use tough perimeter help defense using the guards and wing more than the bigs if all possible but rarely leave Smith unguarded. Make others beat us, but UL has plenty of weapons, such as Hancock, if he's left open or gets hot can destroy you like Giffey has been doing throughout the season, especially lately.
Start Omar, did you see the assist to Neils he put up against UC? A beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom