So the State of Connecticut goes into a bar.... | The Boneyard

So the State of Connecticut goes into a bar....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Yeah, pretty much.

http://www.tickld.com/x/the-50-states-of-america-if-they-were-actually-people-in-a-bar

"Connecticut is a rich white woman sipping a martini and silently judging all the other states."
I am sick of this stereotype of Connecticut as a white WASP state. CT has a higher percentage of Italian Americans than both New York and New Jersey. It is also one of the most Catholic states. As far as CT judging other states. I have never heard much if any state pride in Connecticut. People from New Jersey and New York have much more pride and look down on others.
A better description would be:
Connecticut is the insecure person at the bar awkwardly making fun of himself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itali...es_with_over_10.25_people_of_Italian_ancestry

Reaction Score
I am sick of this stereotype of Connecticut as a white WASP state. CT has a higher percentage of Italian Americans than both New York and New Jersey. It is also one of the most Catholic states. As far as CT judging other states. I have never heard much if any state pride in Connecticut. People from New Jersey and New York have much more pride and look down on others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itali...es_with_over_10.25_people_of_Italian_ancestry

Lighten up Francis, it's meant to be humorous.

Reaction Score

really guy

Reaction Score

That is the perception of CT. to outsiders. People seem to think Connecticut is all white, rich and waspy. Connecticut also has by far the highest percentage of Puerto Rican people out of any state in the country, if you told this to someone out of state they would call bull. I just had a buddy the other day say he was stuck on business in Stamford and he was shocked there were lots of people speaking Spanish and there were Barrios.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Cute idea, not executed all that well. Connecticut is probably one of the more flattering characterizations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whether you like the generally untrue WASP stereotypes or not, we sound much better than other states. We could be, for instance, riding alligators while drinking moonshine on the way to a Publix grocery store.

In a college basketball-related setting I'll take the martini chick any time. "That's cute, you won a couple championships 50 years ago? well we have 4 since 1999, NBD."

Reaction Score

Do Catholics and Italians have a rule against drinking martinis, looking down on people, or being white?

I bet a lot of them would be shocked to find that out. I know a lot of Catholics and Italians particularly good at the last two.

Reaction Score
Do Catholics and Italians have a rule against drinking martinis, looking down on people, or being white?

I bet a lot of them would be shocked to find that out. I know a lot of Catholics and Italians particularly good at the last two.
He's referring to the stereotype that Connecticut is all WASP's straight off the Mayflower. Most people would be very surprised to learn CT. has the highest percentage of Italians and Puerto Ricans.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
No offense to John but that article was one dumb comedy bit.

Reaction Score
He's referring to the stereotype that Connecticut is all WASP's straight off the Mayflower. Most people would be very surprised to learn CT. has the highest percentage of Italians and Puerto Ricans.
And Jamaicans, and some of the highest income gaps in the country, and a capital with one of the worst murder rates in the country this year, but you're missing my point.

Nothing about "white", "martinis" or "judgemental" is unique to WASPs. So his faux outrage about some stereotype about nutmeggers and the lack of reverence toward Catholics and Italians from a joke is really stupid. There's nothing about that punchline that precludes it from being applicable to white Catholics or Italian Americans. The Puerto Ricans, by the way, are probably laughing at how true that joke is, not feigning anger at being left out.

Reaction Score
And Jamaicans, and some of the highest income gaps in the country, and a capital with one of the worst murder rates in the country this year, but you're missing my point.

Nothing about "white", "martinis" or "judgemental" is unique to WASPs. So his faux outrage about some stereotype about nutmeggers and the lack of reverence toward Catholics and Italians from a joke is really stupid.
I hear you but people stereotype and my guess is the guy who put together this stupid list wasn't thinking of a judgmental rich Italian woman sipping a martini, he mentions Italians in neighboring states and they seem to fit the stereotypes we always see associated with Italians.

Reaction Score
you're gonna have to show the numbers

Reaction Score
you're gonna have to show the numbers
The highest percentage of Italians is always between Connecticut and Rhode Island at around 19%, I think Rhode Island may have had the highest percentage last year. The New Haven-Milford metro area is highest concentration of Italians in the country. Connecticut has the highest concentration of Puerto Ricans with 7.1%, NY is next with 5.5% of the population. There is a reason Bradley is always running direct flights to and from San Juan, PR.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard is the best - this goes from what could be a real great discussion about where all these 3rdbass's are drinking the martini's (New Thread: Best 3rdbass Bars) to how many Italian and Puerto Ricans are int he state.

Yikes:eek:

Reaction Score
The highest percentage of Italians is always between Connecticut and Rhode Island at around 19%, I think Rhode Island may have had the highest percentage last year. The New Haven-Milford metro area is highest concentration of Italians in the country. Connecticut has the highest concentration of Puerto Ricans with 7.1%, NY is next with 5.5% of the population. There is a reason Bradley is always running direct flights to and from San Juan, PR.

Doesn't Puerto Rico have the highest percentage of Puerto Ricans in the US? :)

Reaction Score
The Boneyard is the best - this goes from what could be a real great discussion about where all these 3rdbass's are drinking the martini's (New Thread: Best 3rdbass Bars) to how many Italian and Puerto Ricans are int he state.

Yikes:eek:

where are the 3rdbass bars?

Reaction Score
where are the 3rdbass bars?

Actually just found a new one I think and it was only lunch time. Brio at the West Farms Mall had a few that over the bartender dude, all rich shopping, regular bar 3rdbass's . Have to go in at happy hour and check it out (for fun of course) as the bartender said it's usually pretty good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom