So how many more wins like this will convince Manuel to extend KO's Contract? | The Boneyard

So how many more wins like this will convince Manuel to extend KO's Contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's just one game. KO might just lead this team to a surprisingly good season, but unless Manuel extends his contract, the impact on recruiting could hurt the talent level that KO has to work with assuming he gets an extension.

Maybe a few more big wins like this, uncommitted recruits won't care if he has the extension or not. Maybe they'll throw cation to the wind and commit. As bad as it sounds, I'd love to see KO call XRM and any other recruits that decided to go elsewhere and ask them if they're sure they don't want to come here. Yeah, very uncool and KO would never do it, but I'm just feeling sayin'...

Reaction Score
If we are 6-0 before the NC State game WArde should pull the trigger then for sure.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not many. Never thought it would take the whole season. But I think he will want to get into BE play. Ollie looks good over on the bench.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

C

Chief00

Warde let his ego get in the way.....I hope he finds a quick exit plan from that decision. My sense is KO resents him.......and now Warde is dwarfed by his standing.

Reaction Score
Warde let his ego get in the way.....I hope he finds a quick exit plan from that decision. My sense is KO resents him.......and now Warde is dwarfed by his standing.

You know this how? You know what he was thinking? You know what Herbst said to him? You know what the board of directors said to him? Some of you people just like to say the same thing over and over again for no apparent reason.

Reaction Score

I did laugh in that KO article in the Post about KO turning down Warde's invitation to watch a UConn football game with him in the AD box. I know KO said his son had a football game, but I can imagine him getting that invite and then in his head saying "the duck outta here..."

C

Chief00

You know this how? You know what he was thinking? You know what Herbst said to him? You know what the board of directors said to him? Some of you people just like to say the same thing over and over again for no apparent reason.
Yes I do.

Reaction Score
I doubt that KO resents Manuel. But I do agree that WM let his ego get in the way.

If it wasn't for the impact on recruiting, I would be okay with WM's decision. I've said all along I believe KO will be a successful coach and if I was WM I would have giving him a long term deal regardless of his lack of HC experience. So far he's 1-0 overall, 1-0 against top 20 teams and undefeated.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yes I do.
Like you knew Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was going to be the next great UConn player!

Do you have any comments about Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's current suspension? Obviously the kid got his drug habits from Dyson! How come you were so quiet about all the chemistry issues with Jamal Coombs-McDaniel and AO with the team and said nada about their attitude problems with JC?

No offense but you got high getting a bunch of Boneyarders to grab pitchforks against a player that scowled and therefore was never going to be liked by the masses. I'm hoping the majority of them see through you now!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
One thing I love about Ollie is that he coaches on the court during practice. He can still ball and actually shows the guys what to do by showing them himself instead of just telling them. That's a huge plus for a coach and should make a great impression on recruits. Also, he really interacts with the players during games and even talks up the players on the bench, keeping them involved in the game. The players seemed to really focus on what he was telling them.

Reaction Score
... I do agree that WM let his ego get in the way.
"You know this how? You know what he was thinking?" ;) (just bustin' 'em) Good win; made it even better after waking up early for the game and following it up with an unanticipated gridiron win.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure why this is so hard to grasp - you don't simply hand over a program like UConn's to a guy with no experience. That applies even if your hall of fame coach tries to tie your hands by retiring in September to force your hand.

It's not good for Ollie either - if he's forced onto the AD, it's just not going to work long-term. That's taking the escalator, not the stairs. If he earns the gig, better for everyone.

Jeff Hathaway isn't here anymore - the days of staring down the athletic director are over.

Reaction Score
Ollie needs to win at least one Big East game before Manuel gives him an extension.

Reaction Score
Not sure why this is so hard to grasp - you don't simply hand over a program like UConn's to a guy with no experience. That applies even if your hall of fame coach tries to tie your hands by retiring in September to force your hand.

It's not good for Ollie either - if he's forced onto the AD, it's just not going to work long-term. That's taking the escalator, not the stairs. If he earns the gig, better for everyone.

Jeff Hathaway isn't here anymore - the days of staring down the athletic director are over.

This

Reaction Score
Ollie needs to win at least one Big East game before Manuel gives him an extension.

That seems like a completely arbitrary notion. He's the right guy, players love him, and he showed tonight he knows what he is doing during the game.

Or, we can wait until we beat DePaul in february. YIKES

Reaction Score

I get where you are coming from, but I feel JC has earned the right to choose his successor. Obviously he knows his basketball.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It was a great win, but it was one game. Remember WVU football and Bill Stewart? Stewart basically landed a contract off a 1-game tryout. He was enthusiastic, players loved him, WVU guy, lots of coaching experience including some HC experience. The kneejerk reaction was wrong. I'd rather lose a recruit than end up with a guy who Pasqualoni's the BBall program. Give KO the full season to prove his mettle. I think he'll come through.

Reaction Score
That seems like a completely arbitrary notion. He's the right guy, players love him, and he showed tonight he knows what he is doing during the game.

Or, we can wait until we beat DePaul in february. YIKES

I'm not saying he needs "X" number of BE wins. I'm just saying we waited this long to extend him, whats a another month or two?

Reaction Score
This needs to be taken care of ASAP. Read the Andy Katz article and you see that Susan Herbst loves Ollie. Warde screwed up and he should take corrective action immediately.

This all worked out well for Ollie because now he can squeeze the school for more money but Warde is on the other end looking foolish.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It should be obvious to all. I have no doubt he will earn the job. But he needs to be deserving of the job, not just a hand picked nepotistic hire. I'm sure he understands this, after all he's not used to being handed anything without earning it. I think the only people complaining are here. Even the fact that he's been given this chance is something KO should be thankful for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak