So, Every Starting Spot Is Open | The Boneyard

So, Every Starting Spot Is Open

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If Karaban stays in the draft, 5 open spots.

Out of the returnees, Johnson, Diarra, Stewart and Ball are definitely starters or high minute rotation players.

None of them are guaranteed studs or a given as a starter or scoring 15 ppg.

Almost everyone thinks Stewart most easily makes the leap but it's a big unknown.

Gonna be a fun ride next season. Best part is we know the staff has made this work twice already.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Samson or Reed is penciled in. Hell or Stewart for that matter. McNeeley could come in a hypothetically beat him out

That'a a good point in Stewart. We will be deep at the 3/4 if we have a rotation of AK, Stewart and McNeely.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Think Diarra, Alex, and Stewart are locks. Ball will compete with whoever we bring in for the other starting wing spot. Reed and Johnson will split the minutes at the 5, so I'll assume Johnson starts game 1 for seniority sake.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Tough, honest conversations are taking place right now. Visits will be scheduled. Then the actual roster will be put in place. That picture of Hurley laying on the floor was more about having to have tough, awkward conversations with kids you just brought in

Reaction Score
My best guess at the rotation is Diarra, Nowell, Ball, Stewart, McNeely, Karaban, Samson, Reed.

Reaction Score
My hope and expectation is:

Diarra/Nowell
Ball/Hausen
McNeely/Stewart
Karaban/Stewart/Abraham
Reed/Johnson

"How can you have Ball starting, but Stewart on the bench?!" Relax, Stewart will still play 25 mpg. And Ball just doesn't have that much competition at that guard spot, and I doubt Nowell starts.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Reed and Stewart are likely penciled in. AK if he comes back.
I can see McNeeley starting over Stewart at the 3 if AK comes back. I’m in the minority here but I thought Stewart was the least consistent of the rotation, not a very efficient player, whereas McNeeley was the most efficient player on the best team in high school ball.

Reaction Score
I can see McNeeley starting over Stewart at the 3 if AK comes back. I’m in the minority here but I thought Stewart was the least consistent of the rotation, not a very efficient player, whereas McNeeley was the most efficient player on the best team in high school ball.

Stewart was pretty good in high school too. It always makes me laugh when people compare a kid’s high school performance to a freshman playing in the big east.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
If Karaban stays in the draft, 5 open spots.

Out of the returnees, Johnson, Diarra, Stewart and Ball are definitely starters or high minute rotation players.

None of them are guaranteed studs or a given as a starter or scoring 15 ppg.

Almost everyone thinks Stewart most easily makes the leap but it's a big unknown.

Gonna be a fun ride next season. Best part is we know the staff has made this work twice already.
I for one can’t wait to see how next season plays out!! I would love to see our starting 5 move to the NBA.

Reaction Score
Stewart was pretty good in high school too. It always makes me laugh when people compare a kid’s high school performance to a freshman playing in the big east.
No matter how many times it’s proven wrong people just keep doing it. Cuse board is doing it right now because they basically pushed Maliq Brown out so some guy who’s ranked 17 in the 247 composite could start. I’m assuming they had to guarantee that in order for him to commit. They all know this guy is going to be way better than Brown, who was all ACC defense this year as an sophomore, was their only good player, and who is probably going to transfer to Duke and start. So funny.

Reaction Score
I hope Jayden Ross gives us something.

He has potential if he puts in the work. 6'7'' with athleticism and the ability to shoot the 3.

He showed some flashes last season.

Reaction Score
Wher
My hope and expectation is:

Diarra/Nowell
Ball/Hausen
McNeely/Stewart
Karaban/Stewart/Abraham
Reed/Johnson

"How can you have Ball starting, but Stewart on the bench?!" Relax, Stewart will still play 25 mpg. And Ball just doesn't have that much competition at that guard spot, and I doubt Nowell starts.
e is Ross?

Reaction Score
No matter how many times it’s proven wrong people just keep doing it. Cuse board is doing it right now because they basically pushed Maliq Brown out so some guy who’s ranked 17 in the 247 composite could start. I’m assuming they had to guarantee that in order for him to commit. They all know this guy is going to be way better than Brown, who was all ACC defense this year as an sophomore, was their only good player, and who is probably going to transfer to Duke and start. So funny.
Absolutely kills me too. Brown is a big part of why Duke is losing its 5 star forwards. Derkack will handily outperform most 5 stars next year :(

Reaction Score

To be fair, Montverde would probably beat 5-10 of the teams we play in a given year and Stewart's high school team was a hair better than the CIAC.

But you are correct. Of McNeely commits to Storrs I expect he amd Stewart will have a battle in practice for minutes

Reaction Score
By now we all can agree that surprising levels of development of our kids and our team are a given, a product of the program, not "wow did we get lucky" stuff. Given our current roster(no Karaban)and applying expected levels of development, I think Hurley can still make the statement, "You should have gotten us then, we ain't coming back to you."

Praying for McNeeley, Traore and a shooter. At that point...fuggedaboudit! Very exciting.

Reaction Score
For change of pace lineup scenario. Small Ball with Karaban/Stewart/McNeeley all on the floor at the same time with our guards would be awesome based on matchups. Not for long durations-Just for short durations of spurtability. Just got to get everyone on board and signed up.

Reaction Score
Reed at the 1,
Samson at the 2,
Stewart at the 3,
Ball at the 4,
Hass at the 5.

Bet they can win their first 4 with that confusing lineup.
Reed at the 1 and Samson at the 2 is one massive backcourt....I just hope they both are working on their handle and their jumpers

Reaction Score
I have seen McNeely play. Does he have enough foot speed to steal a few minutes at the 2?
We know (or least we think we do) that Stewart will get time at the 3 and 4.
We know who the centers are but I think who starts will be determined during practice.
Hass will start with Nowell in the apprenticeship role, but most likely getting some good minutes.
Ball, Ross, and Abraham will all have a chance to earn minutes. I really hope Ball and Ross stick and continue to work hard. They both have incredible athleticism for their size. Ball looked like to me that he really needed to progress on the defensive side. Ross looked like he needed to gets strong, but both statements can be made of so many freshman.
There are still some players to ad, and they could be incredibly deep again. There's a whole bunch of 'ifs' but that's what Hurley and Co. get paid for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom