So Azzi Just Put This Up | Page 6 | The Boneyard

So Azzi Just Put This Up

Reaction Score
No.
In '16-'17 you had 6"5" Natalie Butler coming off the bench to help match up against larger teams like Texas, Maryland, Oregon & Baylor
In '17-'18 you had 6'6" Azura Stevens coming off the bench to help match up against teams like ND (2X) & South Carolina.
In '18-'19 you had 6'5" ONO coming off the bench to matchup against teams like ND.
In '19-20 the tallest player coming off the UCONN bench was 6'1" Aubrey and you replaced two starters Napheesa & KLS with players (Megan and Anna) that were both shorter.

BTW Oregon 19-20 was not remotely the same team as the 16-17 version-namely Boley & Sabally

Your responses get weaker. And do you suppose there was a reason they came off the bench to spell a 5'11" center instead of starting? :rolleyes: I guess the answer this year is obvious. Using your theory, Geno needs to just start with both ONO and Gabriel on the bench. Right? With them coming off the bench UConn will be bigger and better? LOL

Here's Butler's vital contributions in 2017

Baylor - 20min 3pt 6rb

MD - 14min 4pt 4rb

S Car - 7min 2pt 1rb

Oregon- 10min 5pt 8rbs

- note that the Oregon game was a blowout and Butler got all her numbers in the 4th period in garbage time. Again the key was just as you said, start the 5'11" Williams and bring your 6'5" size in off the bench, right? Isn't that what you said was the key to UConn overcoming a massive height disadvantage in 2017 & 2018?

As far as Oregon, If I'm not mistaken they were a final four team in 2017 so your attempt to diminish their 2017 team is silly. 2017 was a FF year. 2020 sadly was not. UConn has entered the NCAA's as an undefeated and No 1 team and lost. 2008 comes to mind.

And just to add some more spice to this disagreement look at the loss to Miss St. in 2017. Collier & Williams combined for 32 pts, 16 rebounds and 6 blocks. McCowan & Richardson combined for 32 pts, 15 rebounds & 1 (that's 1) block. That game was lost out on the perimeter, not with superior size. If UConn's 6'5" Butler had contributed more than goose eggs in that game UConn would have won.

I'm not even going to look at Stevens' games. Your incorrect assessment of Butler's contributions is enough to put your "bench" theory to bed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Your responses get weaker. And do you suppose there was a reason they came off the bench to spell a 5'11" center instead of starting? :rolleyes: I guess the answer this year is obvious. Using your theory, Geno needs to just start with both ONO and Gabriel on the bench. Right? With them coming off the bench UConn will be bigger and better? LOL

Here's Butler's vital contributions in 2017

Baylor - 20min 3pt 6rb

MD - 14min 4pt 4rb

S Car - 7min 2pt 1rb

Oregon- 10min 5pt 8rbs

- note that the Oregon game was a blowout and Butler got all her numbers in the 4th period in garbage time. Again the key was just as you said, start the 5'11" Williams and bring your 6'5" size in off the bench, right? Isn't that what you said was the key to UConn overcoming a massive height disadvantage in 2017 & 2018?

As far as Oregon, If I'm not mistaken they were a final four team in 2017 so your attempt to diminish their 2017 team is silly. 2017 was a FF year. 2020 sadly was not. UConn has entered the NCAA's as an undefeated and No 1 team and lost. 2008 comes to mind.

And just to add some more spice to this disagreement look at the loss to Miss St. in 2017. Collier & Williams combined for 32 pts, 16 rebounds and 6 blocks. McCowan & Richardson combined for 32 pts, 15 rebounds & 1 (that's 1) block. That game was lost out on the perimeter, not with superior size. If UConn's 6'5" Butler had contributed more than goose eggs in that game UConn would have won.

I'm not even going to look at Stevens' games. Your incorrect assessment of Butler's contributions is enough to put your "bench" theory to bed.
Your responses become more absurd and you forgot Natalie contribution in the Texas game. The Key word there is contribution as in in 2019-20 there was no player to give such contributions.
BTW Oregon could not have been a FF four team, they would have to have beaten UCONN to achieve that.
Azura had 19Points and 8 rebounds in her final game at UCONN playing 28 Mins.
Reductio ad absurdum!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been wondering whether any of you have information about what other schools may be in the running. I know she has checked out Notre Dame, but beyond that I have not a clue. Since she has chosen to wait, what variables are left for her to ponder in making a decision other than summer time transfers (a stretch as a variable). Is her deciding variable the question of does she want to follow Paige or maybe that is a stumbling block for her yes to UConn? Does she feel the tug of wanting to play closer to home, and what would that portend?

Possible reasons for not committing early?

She stated in one interview that she had a tough time making decisions.

There's no need to commit early because she knows there's a spot for her on any virtually every team in the country whenever she wants.

Why commit when your coach of choice is about 65 and you can't be sure he'll be around in a year and a half.

Reaction Score
Your responses become more absurd and you forgot Natalie contribution in the Texas game. The Key word there is contribution as in in 2019-20 there was no player to give such contributions.
BTW Oregon could not hve been a FF four team, they would have to have beaten UCONN to achieve that-Reductio ad absurdum

Butler's contributions in the Texas Game? I can see now that her 4pts & 4rbs were the key to the victory. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: In fact Butler's contribution in the Texas game was so enormous that Geno played her 8 mins in their next game against ND, where she scored zero points and had 4 boards in 8 mins.

And yes, I miss-read the Oregon game as a FF game. But at least they made it to the EE, something we can only speculate about this year's Oregon team achieving.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Umm the last 3 classes-

2020- 6'2 Aaliyah Edwards, 6'5 Piath Gabriel
2021- 6'5 Amari DeBerry
2022- 6'4 Isuneh Ice Brady

Is it me or has there been a decline in the number of posts lamenting/suggesting that we need more height? Height is definitely on the way with more to come. What a refreshing and relaxing thought that is. :)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Butler's contributions in the Texas Game? I can see now that her 4pts & 4rbs were the key to the victory. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: In fact Butler's contribution in the Texas game was so enormous that Geno played her 8 mins in their next game against ND, where she scored zero points and had 4 boards in 8 mins.

And yes, I miss-read the Oregon game as a FF game. But at least they made it to the EE, something we can only speculate about this year's Oregon team achieving.
You tend to mis-read a lot. You also continue to poo poo Natalie Butler's contributions. Bench players are rarely the key to victory, in that Texas game Natalie was needed and Geno played her 26 Mins. I'll ask you this question: was there a post bench player on the 2019-20 UCONN team that would have gotten more minutes vs ND in which Natalie got 8 Mins?

Reaction Score
You tend to mis-read a lot. You also continue to poo poo Natalie Butler's contributions. Bench players are rarely the key to victory, in that Texas game Natalie was needed and Geno played her 26 Mins. I'll ask you this question: was there a post bench player on the 2019-20 UCONN team that would have gotten more minutes vs ND in which Natalie got 8 Mins?

So now you are inventing hypothetical situations to support your POV?

I'm off this merry-go-round. ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So now you are inventing hypothetical situations to support your POV?

I'm off this merry-go-round. ;)
I 'll take that as a no. You participation is greatly appreciated.

Reaction Score
They probably told Paige to spend as much time with Azzi now because she won't be spending much time with her in college, seeing how they will be at different schools:(.
Probably for sure maybe I guess I’m assuming I really don’t know “they” told her anything at all but probably lol.

Reaction Score
My guess is that if Fudd didn't have a hoop in her back yard Bueckers would be in Minn.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My guess is that if Fudd didn't have a hoop in her back yard Bueckers would be in Minn.
There’s a video out there of Azzi practicing a shooting drill on her own, at what looks like a local playground. With all playgrounds closed in the DC metro area, I do suspect that the basketball playing Fudds have a very nice half court? in their back yard.

As I’ve said before, if I lived nearby, to get my “live sports” fix I would set up a lawn chair to watch Azzi and Paige go after each other every day.

Reaction Score
There’s a video out there of Azzi practicing a shooting drill on her own, at what looks like a local playground. With all playgrounds closed in the DC metro area, I do suspect that the basketball playing Fudds have a very nice half court? in their back yard.

As I’ve said before, if I lived nearby, to get my “live sports” fix I would set up a lawn chair to watch Azzi and Paige go after each other every day.

In an interview Fudd said that she had a hoop and that the lanes and the arc were carefully measured.

And I agree about the lawn chair. :)

Reaction Score
A question.
I know the foul line is 15' but 15' measured from where? The backboard, the center of the hoop, the front edge of the hoop, the baseline? I never thought of it before. Anyone?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I do view downturns as inevitable because not every recruit is going to work out. The length of the particular down turn I view as taking too long to correct. Molly Bent and Kyla Irwin are tremendous young ladies that represented UCONN on the court and in the class room in an exemplary manner. However, it should not have taken until the Fall of 2019 to figure out that Kyla cannot be the the starting PF and Molly cannot be the third guard in the rotation if UCONN was to have a contending National Championship team.
Post player successfully recruited from HS by UCONN since Kyla Irwin=2 ONO & Paith.
Part of this confuses me a little bit. When I pointed a finger at the Walker class for being all similar, were not you the one that qualified my accusation by pointing out all the posts that were misses? That means there are other reasons besides a coaching staff taking too long to "figure out" Kyla cannot be the starting PF. If we go backwards from the classes we have the Boston miss. That's not inability to "figure out." Then we have ONO and the Collier miss. That's not inability to "figure out." Then we have the Walker class, for which I already was on board for being critical and you ironically convinced me to take a broader look. Then we have the Cox miss (weren't there others as well). That's not inability to "figure out." Then we have the Boykin transfer and the Camara miss (though Camara transferred in injured). In either case that is not inability to "figure out." Then we have the Nurse class, which is similar to the Walker class. I can't recall what misses there were that year, if any. Then the one person Chong class. Deficient, yes, but I doubt that was due to not figuring out a big would be nice to have in that class. Did not we miss out on Wilson and Turner during that time frame? Then before that you have Stewart, et al, so no point in going back any further. Then you have the transfers of Butler, Stevens and Adebayo, which I would attribute to the coaching staff indeed able to "figure out" that they need more bigs than they were getting with their normal recruiting. Since Stewart's class there has been six posts (seven with Irwin) and at least five misses out of seven classes for a roster that has never been full since the Taurasi years.

As for whether it is taking too long, we've gone through four year downturns before, all previous ones worse than this one. But even if we do not win a championship next year, it's due to factors other than we have a coaching staff that cannot "figure out" we need post players. I really do not think you seriously mean that as the fly in the ointment.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw some pics and one or two videos. It looks as if the Fudd's live on a corner and they installed a basket on the street and carefully measured the arc and free throw line. I wonder how level the street is, though. Azzi talks about the basket and their parents' work on the lines.

The videos of Azzi shooting alone outside and the 3-on-3 game look as if they found a court in a park or possibly a private yard. I don't believe the family has a court in their yard, but they do have a fire pit. ;)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Possible reasons for not committing early?

She stated in one interview that she had a tough time making decisions.

There's no need to commit early because she knows there's a spot for her on any virtually every team in the country whenever she wants.

Why commit when your coach of choice is about 65 and you can't be sure he'll be around in a year and a half.
The way things are today, no commit is sure their coach will be around in a year and a half. However, concerning Fudd, she should commit early because that would please the Boneyard. Is there any reason more important than that? :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Part of this confuses me a little bit. When I pointed a finger at the Walker class for being all similar, were not you the one that qualified my accusation by pointing out all the posts that were misses? That means there are other reasons besides a coaching staff taking too long to "figure out" Kyla cannot be the starting PF. If we go backwards from the classes we have the Boston miss. That's not inability to "figure out." Then we have ONO and the Collier miss. That's not inability to "figure out." Then we have the Walker class, for which I already was on board for being critical and you ironically convinced me to take a broader look. Then we have the Cox miss (weren't there others as well). That's not inability to "figure out." Then we have the Boykin transfer and the Camara miss (though Camara transferred in injured). In either case that is not inability to "figure out." Then we have the Nurse class, which is similar to the Walker class. I can't recall what misses there were that year, if any. Then the one person Chong class. Deficient, yes, but I doubt that was due to not figuring out a big would be nice to have in that class. Did not we miss out on Wilson and Turner during that time frame? Then before that you have Stewart, et al, so no point in going back any further. Then you have the transfers of Butler, Stevens and Adebayo, which I would attribute to the coaching staff indeed able to "figure out" that they need more bigs than they were getting with their normal recruiting. Since Stewart's class there has been six posts (seven with Irwin) and at least five misses out of seven classes for a roster that has never been full since the Taurasi years.

As for whether it is taking too long, we've gone through four year downturns before, all previous ones worse than this one. But even if we do not win a championship next year, it's due to factors other than we have a coaching staff that cannot "figure out" we need post players. I really do not think you seriously mean that as the fly in the ointment.
Figure out was clearly the wrong expression as I'm sure Geno and the staff had that figured out long before any of us did. The recruiting post misses have been well documented so no need to repeat those. I have championed the effort by the staff to sign a post player, and have been critical of results. Geno and the staff has been involved with every notable big since Griner was in HS. To use a baseball analogy : I'm not parked where @Charliebball is/was but perhaps it is time to tweak the recruiting philosophy. UCONN should continue to swing for the home runs at the post position like Cox,Brown, Wilson, and Boston. The roster size would still allow you to add a doubles hitter or a utility guy (aka contributors) at least every other class. Right now I think we have talked ourselves into believing we have a HR hitter in the post. I'm rather tepid on that proposition. I'm equally tepid that we have post contributors in this 2020 or coming in 2021. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Figure out was clearly the wrong expression as I'm sure Geno and the staff had that figured out long before any of us did. The recruiting post misses have been well documented so no need to repeat those. I have championed the effort by the staff to sign a post player, and have been critical of results. Geno and the staff has been involved with every notable big since Griner was in HS. To use a baseball analogy : I'm not parked where @Charliebball is/was but perhaps it is time to tweak the recruiting philosophy. UCONN should continue to swing for the home runs at the post position like Cox,Brown, Wilson, and Boston. The roster size would still allow you to add a doubles hitter or a utility guy (aka contributors) at least every other class. Right now I think we have talked ourselves into believing we have a HR hitter in the post. I'm rather tepid on that proposition. I'm equally tepid that we have post contributors in this 2020 or coming in 2021. Time will tell.

Coco I'm glad you have begun to see the light...........best is best but good is..........well................good...........;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So here is a little reminder of the thread topic:

I suppose it wandered starting with something like ... we don't need another guard, we need a "real big".

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For most schools she wouldn't be "another guard" but rather the school's GOAT.
Azzi could well be the GOAT for a lot of schools. If she comes to UConn, Azzi will certainly be a great player, but she may not be the best player on the team..... :cool:

Reaction Score
Azzi could well be the GOAT for a lot of schools. If she comes to UConn, Azzi will certainly be a great player, but she may not be the best player on the team..... :cool:

There aren't many HS players that even get a "may be" comment. The fact that UConn has one and perhaps, if the stars and planets align, another, is a good reason for me to renew my season ticket, even if next season is problematic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom