So are these the growing pains? | The Boneyard

So are these the growing pains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Before the season started most of us thought it would take some time for this team to gel because there were so many new pieces to integrate. So is it any surprise that they lost to two very good teams this early in the season? And both losses were by only 3 points. It's unfortunate that they had to play these teams so early in the season but I'm still bullish on this team. Let's see where they are around the end of January.

Probably already covered in a bunch of threads here, but what things need to happen for this team to play like a top team the latter half of the season?

- Hamilton needs to be that alpha dog?
- Adams needs to become the lead point guard?
- Defend the three better?
- Rebound more consistently?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I think it is growing pains. There is no way to create a team that functions really well together in a couple of months. This team will have some weak spots like all teams, but hopefully will get better and better moving forward. Playing Syracuse this early was a different challenge and we did not do too well attacking the zone. I suspect that Jalen needs to gradually get starters minutes as we need a real point guard running the show, not DHam. I can seem him playing with Sterling or Rodney, but I like the idea of Jalen and Sterling together in crunch-time. Rodney has shown some good improvement, but really needs to slow down a little to the point where he is in control and not shooting forward like a rocket. With Rodney, his play seems to be all about staying calm and confident, but he is not the person we want making the critical pass. I really liked seeing Shonn show some fire in the second half. He has to play more like Freeman/Adrien.

Reaction Score
I'm just scratching my head at the posters who are writing off a kid who's gotten it done at a high level for four years on the basis of one game. I expect it from the usual suspects but not some of you ...

I wouldn't write him off, but he was pretty bad during the last two. He more than anyone seemed satisfied to pass it around the perimeter of the Syracuse zone before settling for a contested three. I'm not sure he attempted to get the ball to the center of the zone once.

Reaction Score
Things will gel when they learn to trust each other more. Believing your teammate will score or get a big rebound will let others relax and concentrate on doing their job. There was too much one on one yesterday.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I was a little nervous going into this tournament. It seems like UConn always has a tough time when there is a big step up in competition after being used to playing cupcakes. Back when we were in the Big East, I remember getting blown out by Marquette in 2006 in our BE opener, then they lost their BE opener in 07,09,10,11, and 13.

Reaction Score
Growing pains don't usually apply to teams that start four upperclassmen. They look like a team that was patched together at the last minute because, well, they were.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Defense, defend the 3. The rest will come from that.

Seth Greenberg said after the game that the defense can't be attached to the offense.... the defense can't start playing well when the offense is in a groove. The defense has to be there consistently. That said I totally agree with upstater.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yes and no. Yes in getting Adams, Enoch, Gibbs, and Miller acclimated to the step up in competition. In Gibbs case, playing with players equal to or better then him in talent. Yes, in defining the roles and rotation of players. We know, but how long will Ollie channel his inner Jurgen Klinsmann until he goes with what works.

No, in the sense that this is not a consistent outside shooting team. A lot of guys can make 3's, but none can be counted on to hit them at a particular moment. They are all very streaky shooters. No, in the sense that our defense isn't as good as it has been in the past. No, in the sense that our shot selection is poor. Guys go for the easy way out and have no problem heaving up low percentage shots.

There is lot of talent on this team but no one guy outside maybe Hamilton that can carry it on demand. They are good but there is no Kemba, Bazz, Rip, BG on this team.

Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg said after the game that the defense can't be attached to the offense.... the defense can't start playing well when the offense is in a groove. The defense has to be there consistently. That said I totally agree with upstater.

Since the game is played by young kids, who are human beings, it stands to reason that they panic on offense because they've let the opposition move through them like a sieve. When you're down 14 because of poor defense, the fact of the score is going to carry over. Not to mention you'll have no fast breaks when you're constantly picking the ball out of the net, which maybe the biggest factor of all which ties defense to offense. DEFENSE = FAST BREAK.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm just scratching my head at the posters who are writing off a kid who's gotten it done at a high level for four years on the basis of one game. I expect it from the usual suspects but not some of you ...

Well, at various recent points, Gibbs, Brimah, and Purvis have been written off by a significant number of people here.

The takeaway is that UCONN should just start 3 guys (Jalen/Hamilton/Miller) and take their chances with that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wouldn't write him off, but he was pretty bad during the last two. He more than anyone seemed satisfied to pass it around the perimeter of the Syracuse zone before settling for a contested three. I'm not sure he attempted to get the ball to the center of the zone once.

Didn't help that a newly formed team had only a couple hours to prepare for the Syracuse zone.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you were responding to my post but I didn't say that. I was throwing out ideas I've seen people post to have a discussion. I have a question mark after all my discussion suggestions.

But I do think it's reasonable to discuss whether Gibbs is better off the ball than on it. We've had plenty of great point guards who helped the team more sometimes when they were off the ball. Kemba comes to mind. I'm not saying that's an answer but it can be discussed without someone else saying you're being too negative about the team. I guess it's all in the delivery.

Reaction Score
After easily handling Michigan and coming out strong against Cuse I convinced myself we were beyond the growing pains. Now Michigan has a lot of problems themselves but are they really that inferior? Levert is one of the best players in the country. I think the lack of rest and preparation time between games had more to do with it than apparent. Probably a big proponent as to why Ollie kept rotating the bench. Coming in as a 3 pt shooting team we only hit one 3 against Gonzaga. Seriously? Once we went cold we were passing decent looks up and driving to the hoop. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but just entirely different play.

Reaction Score
2 things we really need to do better: rebound and defend the 3. If we defended the 3, we could have been Battle 4 Atlantis champs.

Reaction Score
Growing pains? Nah we are still in the womb or incubator (if you will). December is the growing pains month.

Reaction Score
Not sure if you were responding to my post but I didn't say that. I was throwing out ideas I've seen people post to have a discussion. I have a question mark after all my discussion suggestions.

But I do think it's reasonable to discuss whether Gibbs is better off the ball than on it. We've had plenty of great point guards who helped the team more sometimes when they were off the ball. Kemba comes to mind. I'm not saying that's an answer but it can be discussed without someone else saying you're being too negative about the team. I guess it's all in the delivery.
“Jalen was great but he’s got to play this way because I can’t play Sterling 35 minutes,” Ollie said. “I need to get him off the ball a little bit so we can get him some easy looks and save his legs.”

Well there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99