Silver lining | The Boneyard

Silver lining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
????

One of these conferences have to EVENTUALLY take Uconn, right?

It will be worth the wait??

Right??

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Who says anyone HAS to take UConn? What'll happen to them if they don't?

doomed.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
On the bright side, I just saved 15% on auto insurance by switching to Geico.....

I'm pissed. All the talk about the ACC being concerned with academics is a crock, they have Miami as a member for christsakes and now Louisville.

AD Manuel is a Michigan grad, right? Clearly, he has an affinity for the Big 10 and is holding out hope of an invite that will never come. Meanwhile the Big East is crumbling around us. Seriously, Tulane and East Carolina, is that where we're at now?

Also, I heard on Boomer and Carton on FAN this morning, a suggestion that the Big East be renamed the Big Country Conference. The comment got a big laugh from all. I should have copyrighted that because that was something I posted ages ago on the 'Yard.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, I just saved 15% on auto insurance by switching to Geico.....

I'm pissed. All the talk about the ACC being concerned with academics is a crock, they have Miami as a member for christsakes and now Louisville.

AD Manuel is a Michigan grad, right? Clearly, he has an affinity for the Big 10 and is holding out hope of an invite that will never come. Meanwhile the Big East is crumbling around us. Seiously, Tulane and East Carolina, is that where we're at now?

Also, I heard on Boomer and Carton on FAN this morning, a suggestion that the Big East be renamed the Big Country Conference. The comment got a big laugh from all. I should have copyrighted that because that was something I posted ages ago on the 'Yard.

The Big East is done, gone, and buried as presently constituted. It is a fallacy at the moment. It can, and should, survive as a basketball primary conference, consisting of the likes of Gtown, St. John's, Nova, Providence, Depaul, Marquette, Seton Hall...maybe adding teams like GW and Xavier, among others.

Still have to hold out hope more expansion for the big conferences does come, and eventually, Uconn is picked up....because right now???? they are in no man's land.

caw

Reaction Score
Honestly, the B1G is ideal, but probably a pipe dream.

I don't know how much this hurts UConn basketball. If Memphis, PC, Georgetown, etc. can continue to recruit highly ranked players, UConn should be able to do at least as well. College basketball has always been about the coaches, so that is more in the hands of Ollie than anything.

UConn football will be hurt by this, but then again, it's not like UConn football was ever a top tier program.

A lot will depend on the outcome of the Maryland buyout. If it stays at 50 Million or close to that, then UConn may be stuck for awhile. If it's lower, then it will depend on who jumps where.

Reaction Score
Honestly, the B1G is ideal, but probably a pipe dream.

I don't know how much this hurts UConn basketball. If Memphis, PC, Georgetown, etc. can continue to recruit highly ranked players, UConn should be able to do at least as well. College basketball has always been about the coaches, so that is more in the hands of Ollie than anything.

UConn football will be hurt by this, but then again, it's not like UConn football was ever a top tier program.

A lot will depend on the outcome of the Maryland buyout. If it stays at 50 Million or close to that, then UConn may be stuck for awhile. If it's lower, then it will depend on who jumps where.

Big 12 and sec expansion is coming, eventually. Never know, maybe the big 10 eventually adds 2 more as well. This will take awhile, but if Uconn can get over the hump and turn around the academic and ncaa issues, they will be an attractive pick up for some conference. Of course, it REALLY would help if the football program could turn the corner....

Reactions: caw

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If the catholic schools split off, would love to join them in basketball only. No point in holding out hope for a BCS conference at this point. If we can't beat out Louisville for a spot, then we're not beating out anyone.

Reaction Score
There's no such thing as a "basketball only" membership in a conference.

Reaction Score
I think he meant everything but football. Since the ACC is uneven in basketball and other sports, UConn in all sports but football and let football be independent. I would love that.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily true. Actually our chances look awful right now. If FSU does decide to leave the ACC then they're almost certain to take South Florida to maintain a Florida market presence. If Clemson also leaves it'll be between UConn, Cincy, and probably Navy, and there's no guarantee we win that battle.

We might just be stuck for a good long while.

Realistically not getting in this time could have put us on the path to being a mid-major school.

Reaction Score
I think he meant everything but football. Since the ACC is uneven in basketball and other sports, UConn in all sports but football and let football be independent. I would love that.

You're probably right, on second read. Not like soccer and softball conferences are on everyone's minds. Apologies, Rico.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only silver lining I see is my seat location improving.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
There is not enough lipstick to put on this pig to make it better. It is a crap sandwich that UConn was served by the ACC now three times. My hope is that FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC in the near future.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Was at lunch today with a bunch a friends. One, a solid UConn guy whose son graduated from FSU is convinced that FSU is anxious to jump. What that would mean for UConnwho knows. Another friend whose daughter was a manager for the SU basketball team a while back totally hates whats happening and he has zero UConn ties other than living in the state.

I think somehow D1 sports, at least the BSC conferences,, should be declared professional, because their thirst for money is totally wrecking the rivalries and fun of the games. I hope they use the TV revenues to reduce tuition instead of buying new helmets every year. The only reason I hope UConn survives this okay is because of the significant investment in sports buildings starting about 10 years ago. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter if a school can be a national D1 champion.

My name for this new league is the Big Blob. BTW, I think anyone who points to a GTown on a Villanova as being successful in the league without a football team is looking at a league that had Syracuse, Pitt, Ville, and throw in WVU as draws for hoops talent. We'll see, won't we. We better sign Ollie now before he decides he doesn't want the new league and UConn is left with assistants from Slippery Rock to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom