Silver: Eight Years of Offensive Struggles | The Boneyard

Silver: Eight Years of Offensive Struggles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HeresyYG.jpg

Reaction Score
Just don't feign outrage when this thread devolves into what both you and I know it will devolve into.

Will deleting my stamp stop it? :p

Facts... we don't need no stinking facts.

It is amazing (and mind boggling) when you look @ it. Need to rip out DNA and start over - to do that requires a few more years of pain that we can least afford.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
We used to have a good running game. Even though we did not put up big yards, we still won 7-9 games a season and went to bowls.

Under Pasqualoni we don't get the yards, the wins, or the bowls.

How are those facts looking?

I will leave it up to you guys decide.

Reaction Score
We used to have a good running game. Even though we did not put up big yards, we still won 7-9 games a season and went to bowls.

Under Pasqualoni we don't get the yards, the wins, or the bowls.

How are those facts looking?

I will leave it up to you guys decide.

I miss the Bowls... didn't matter where they were.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Premise: You can't reliably recruit top QB's and WR's to a northern school in a mid-major conference.

Action: You don't base your offense and hopes of success on a high scoring passing attack.

Premise: It is much easier to find productive RB's and bulk up OL-men.

Action: Do that instead.

Premise: You can't win games by only running the ball.

Action: Run the ball and develop enough of a passing game to keep defenses honest and move the chains without turning the ball over.

Which plan are we following?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Premise: You can't reliably recruit top QB's and WR's to a northern school in a mid-major conference.

Action: You don't base your offense and hopes of success on a high scoring passing attack.

Action: Run the ball and develop enough of a passing game to keep defenses honest and move the chains without turning the ball over.

Great post.

But as far as I can tell, the plan is to get to third down on every posession:)

pj

Reaction Score

That's the Randy Edsall strategy and the consensus here was that it topped out when it lucked into a Fiesta Bowl appearance. If we want to show that we can compete with the top 5 football conferences, we have to show that we're able to build a well rounded team.

Did Jim Calhoun aim for mediocrity? Why should UConn football? I personally would rather we aim for excellence and figure out how to reach it.

Reaction Score
Interesting analysis since 2005, which doesn't show Orlovsky's last year. UConn had more passing yardage, but rushing yardage wasn't almost half of the average and turnover margin was much worse than average. But, I think the offense that was to risky (and too predictable, especially on first down) combined with a defense that took too many risks resulted in a poor season.

The turnover margin is somewhat misleading. Even though UConn had a ton of talent on defense last year, Brown's defense did not force turnovers. UConn's defense had 6 interceptions and 6 fumble recoveries, which ranked 113 in the NCAA. Brown's defense was fun to watch, but it did not force turnovers and it was vulnerable to the big play.

For a better season, it seems pretty straightforward: Improve play calling so passing can be more successful. Establish the run. Refocus the defense on stopping the big play.

Reaction Score
That's the Randy Edsall strategy and the consensus here was that it topped out when it lucked into a Fiesta Bowl appearance. If we want to show that we can compete with the top 5 football conferences, we have to show that we're able to build a well rounded team.

Did Jim Calhoun aim for mediocrity? Why should UConn football? I personally would rather we aim for excellence and figure out how to reach it.

Again though - bad timing for us as a program. I 100% agree we need to rip out program DNA and start over with a new organism. Problem is (in my mind) that even with a brillant mind, that takes time and the pain (results short term) will be debilitating. I pray TJW has a partial solution.

Reaction Score
Nothing really new here, other than reading between the lines I see a bit of "well their offense sucked under Randy too." When you're running the ball well and not turning it over that does put a lot of lipstick in the pig. Speaking of that, remember how Silver conveniently (for him) couched the Weist hiring ---- as if PP just decided completely on his own to bring in a new OC.

After a second straight season of an offense that was ranked in the bottom 15 in total production, UConn head coach Paul Pasqualoni moved his long-time assistant George DeLeone off the offensive coordinator rotation and brought in the energetic Weist, who was a wide receivers coach at Cincinnati and was also and experienced offensive coordinator having served at Western Kentucky.

I'd like to hear what the logistics of the play calling will be this fall. Who is in the booth (remember TJ was on field for spring game w/headset, GDL on field without one), who has veto power, can QB audible, etc. Nine years ago Syracuse student paper didn't have that much trouble digging up similar info

Reaction Score
There is a third way.

You actually spend the money and hire coaches that bring cutting edge football ability. If you believe the assumption that we'll never be able to recruit the blue chips then you mitigate that by bringing the very very best.

Keep these three things in mind:

1. The fanbase isn't as "built" as we want or need it. In order to do that you have to entertain. That means offense, so you bring in the best offensive coaching.

2. Assume that these coaches will move on to bigger things after achieving some success. This reality should be embraced. Their success will demonstrate that great things can be done here. It will be easier to lure in the next crew. Cincy demonstrates this every three years.

3. Everyone here agrees that the AAC is not where we want to be. The best way to get out is dominate it.

Under Pasqualoni, we will never dominate this conference. WE ARE WASTING OUR TIME. And a great man once said, "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Reaction Score
Again though - bad timing for us as a program. I 100% agree we need to rip out program DNA and start over with a new organism. Problem is (in my mind) that even with a brillant mind, that takes time and the pain (results short term) will be debilitating. I pray TJW has a partial solution.

Now is not the time for partial solutions and half measures. You just don't get it.

Reaction Score
Now is not the time for partial solutions and half measures. You just don't get it.

Zoo - I think it's time you put me on ignore! Have a rational discussion or mutherflucking ignore me!

duckyou.jpg

Reaction Score
Zoo - I think it's time you put me on ignore! Have a rational discussion or mutherflucking ignore me!

I am having a rational discussion. You support half measures. The rest of us don't. You're wrong in every possible aspect.

Reaction Score

Not to bust your bubble but northern Illinois Toledo. Western Michigan concinnati all had very good passing attacks why can't we.

Reaction Score
Will deleting my stamp stop it? :p

Facts... we don't need no stinking facts.

It is amazing (and mind boggling) when you look @ it. Need to rip out DNA and start over - to do that requires a few more years of pain that we can least afford.

Well, you are presenting statistics as facts and we all know what statistics can be.

Let's face it. Have you ever seen a worse UConn offense than we have had the last 2 years? I mean honestly. The only thing close were the 05 & 06 years. That's without looking at any statistics.

In my opinion (Loop will love this), the problems are more nuanced than simply presenting offensive numbers from the last 8 years. It's amazing to me what happened when we had either a highly competent QB (Orlovsky) or an explosive WR (Easley). Where I think GDL failed the most is trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. He tried to do too much, too fast with personnel that frankly was not equipped or able to do what they were asking them to do.

This team was a bowl team the last 2 years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

QB play and the defense where never up to par and we still EARNED a BCS bowl. With last years defense and a better QB we could have beaten OU.

And it's not Randy Edsall's strategy. It's been around a lot longer than him.

Reaction Score
I am having a rational discussion. You support half measures. The rest of us don't. You're wrong in every possible aspect.

Did I not post this above? "I 100% agree we need to rip out program DNA and start over with a new organism."?

Do you read before developing the attack - "You just don't get it" "You're wrong in every possible aspect"??

It's become a sport for you...

Reaction Score
I just found the analysis interesting. The turnover margin really is shocking.

Some of it is on the coaches, who put us into a scheme which took more chances we weren't ready to take, etc. And opened us up.

Some of it is just dropped picks. I don't know of any statistical way to prove it, but the number of times I saw Sio bobble or drop a pick was mind-blowing. A few of those come our way, who knows. Football is a game of momentum. A few good things happen, the kids start believing a little more, you never know.

However, I definitely think there's something to be said for getting away from power running and opening us up to the higher risks of turnovers. Throwing picks in the opponent's end zone is a pretty good way to demoralize your team.

Fundamentally, of course, it all devolves back into the same idea... if the O-line plays well, we play well. Whether it's talent or scheme or a combination of both, well, we've had that argument 30 or 40 times and it's only early May, so.

Reaction Score
Well, you are presenting statistics as facts and we all know what statistics can be.

Let's face it. Have you ever seen a worse UConn offense than we have had the last 2 years? I mean honestly. The only thing close were the 05 & 06 years. That's without looking at any statistics.

In my opinion (Loop will love this), the problems are more nuanced than simply presenting offensive numbers from the last 8 years. It's amazing to me what happened when we had either a highly competent QB (Orlovsky) or an explosive WR (Easley). Where I think GDL failed the most is trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. He tried to do too much, too fast with personnel that frankly was not equipped or able to do what they were asking them to do.

This team was a bowl team the last 2 years.

Agree - it's the reasons "why" that we miss on (some - not all). GDL was wrong choice as OC. I've said it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom