SI Article: Replacing Napier | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SI Article: Replacing Napier

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I agree that KO will build this team better than JC rebuilt the 2012 team post-Kemba. And I agree that Boatright will be an asset in doing so. But replacing as much production as UConn must replace is always going to be a challenge. Take away all of those late shock clock three's and step back two's from Napier, and last year's offense starts to look like a disaster. Ollie will need to be at his best to get the Huskies offense into gear. I do expect their defense to be lethal no matter what, though, with Boat up top and Brimah/Nolan in the middle.

If you gave Calhoun a senior point guard in 2012, that probably would have been a pretty good team.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I know it won't be a popular response, but I think we'll also see a better performance from the sidelines from KO than we saw from JC that year. One week you would have Bazz taking shots at guys in the press, the next week AO calling the guards selfish, then taking shots at JC on twitter, that type of stuff needed to be nipped in the bud from start and that starts at the top. All of the things KO did to improve team chemistry like bringing in the sports psychologist to work with team was in direct response to all of the nonsense that went on during that season.

Again, much easier to deliver the right response from the sidelines when a senior (vs a soph) PG is receiving and filtering for the rest of the team. Leadership is everything and that 2012 team was leaderless.

This season is going to much different than 2012. Much tighter crew too.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How is anyone supposed to know without any games played yet? Before last season nobody knew that DeAndre or Niels would be the knockdown 3 point shooters they turned out to be, Niels shot 29% from 3 the previous year and was hesitant to pull the trigger, DeAndre shot 30%, they bumped those numbers up to 48% and 41% respectively last season. When we start seeing games played and see how guys fit into the offense and what kind of shooters we have, then we'll have an answer.

To add to that, Purvis shot 38.5% from 3 at NC State. With a year and a half off to work on his shot, I'm pretty confident he'll be over 40%.

Reaction Score
Bazz has 2 BECAUSE of Kemba.
Bazz has 1 because of Kemba and 1 because of Boat. We can go back and forth and they are pretty much equal but for me it's Bazz at number 1. I have no argument with those who have Kemba there. Lost in all this is that we have had Kemba, Bazz and now Boat in a row, amazing, and JA coming on board!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Bazz has 1 because of Kemba and 1 because of Boat.

You know what I was referring to. Kemba Walker was the NPOY 2011 in most rational observers minds, if you take into account complete game ability. Boat was sensational on D and an integral part of the team but he wasn't even the best player on his own team.

I was merely speaking about who was the heart and soul and engine of the team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that there's a pretty good argument that, without 2011 Kemba, 2014 Bazz might not have existed. Don't under estimate the value of Kemba as a leadership role model. I know Bazz doesn't.

Reaction Score
I guess we'll find out if Glenn Miller's Steve Nash drill really works or it was just a one time deal with a specific group of players. I think our uncanny foul shooting percentage -- especially late game foul shots -- was at least as important, and maybe more so, as our three point shooting.

Our FT shooting was a big big reason we won it all last season. Look at how it completely killed UK as it took away late game following completely and forced them to put up a bunch of desperate shots. If we defend and hit our foul shots like we did in march and april we will be fine because the rest will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
I feel like, "Kemba or Bazz?" is a question that you could ask any group of Husky fans in the world and start an endless conversation.

Kemba is by far the better natural athlete, but in a way that makes what Shabazz did and does even more impressive because he isn't as gifted athletically, but still had the drive and the smarts to manufacture wins

C

Chief00

I respect Boat staying 4 years and his significant improvement in certain areas. I will you will also see TSam coming off the bench and leading the team. Still trying to get a read on Sam Jr - he is very mature for a Freshman.

Reaction Score
bazz,kemba,oakgarden, ripaamin led to this:

blue bloody buddies1)UCONN, navy blue & white 358mil endow
2)dook prussian blue 6bil
3)ky blue and white 915mil
4)ncarolina; carolina blue and white 2.4bil
5)ks blue and crimson 1.23bil
6)ucla true blue and gold 2.8bil
7)yale blue and white $23.9 billion!!! doze guyz dont need hoop w's to qualify

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
bazz,kemba,oakgarden, ripaamin led to this:

blue bloody buddies1)UCONN, navy blue & white 358mil endow
2)dook prussian blue 6bil
3)ky blue and white 915mil
4)ncarolina; carolina blue and white 2.4bil
5)ks blue and crimson 1.23bil
6)ucla true blue and gold 2.8bil
7)yale blue and white $23.9 billion!!! doze guyz dont need hoop w's to qualify
Wat8.jpg

Reaction Score
http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ies-shabazz-napier-ryan-boatright-kevin-ollie

Good piece on replacing our fearless leader...it's not about one person stepping up but a team effort all way down from our coaches to the last player on our bench.

I'm not as worried about everybody stepping up their on court production to compensate for the losses of Bazz, DD & Niels as I am about the leadership and accountability carrying over.

Everybody is looking to Boat to be that guy and I think he certainly is in great position to take advantage of this great opportunity to show us how good he can be, but KO will need to continue to find a way to draw the best out of his team which has a new makeup

Huge huge void no doubt but I think this team is more athletic and deeper than last year's. It looks like Brimah will be improved, hopefully Nolan and Calhoun too. We'll see what Facey and Hamilton can do? I think we will be a better rebounding team which will make us a better running team and translate to easier baskets. This would lessen the dependency on someone having to bail us out at end of shot clock situations. Napier was the best pick and roll player in the country last year so concerns are valid as to how Boatright will handle that and who will step in to make the 3s that Giffey and Daniels did on the pick and pop. I thnk KO pushes the tempo with this team and I really hope Boat does not become a TO machine. IMO this could be the most athletic team we have ever had, we have some freakish athletes in Boatright, Brimah, Purvis and Hamilton maybe Facey too.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
I don't know if UConn has lost anything yet. They haven't played yet. Nolan may be able to make a lay up and rebound better. Brimah may stay out of foul trouble and hit the jumper.
Tsam and Omar may have consistent jumpers. Cassell can be the guy who always gets his own shot like his dad. Hamilton may be like Rip. Can't see all of these guys having bad years. Can't see UConn not getting a bid in the NCAA, not getting to the conference final. Even if Boat faulters, TSam, Cassell and the Ferrari may still be one of the bet backcourts in the country. UConn's true ace is Ollie.
He gets guys do things that are needed to win. He will find five to seven guys who will play winning basketball especially in league play. Pro scout thinks three kids are NBA prospects. This means he expects UConn to be around on the 2nd weekend of tourney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom