Shout out to Ice | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Shout out to Ice

Reaction Score
You must not have been watching closely. Edwards and Ice have been on the court together a number of times this season.
Very often, most notably in the Texas game where she started alongside AE and Geno has since said was a "mistake" to pair them together at that time. Essentially, Ice was not yet ready, but boy is she now!!!!

Reaction Score
You do realize that Eugene O’Neill’s tragic play about a group of alcoholics who are going nowhere, ends with the following soliloquy:

“Be God, there’s no hope! I’ll never be a success in the grandstand-or anywhere else! Life is too much for me! I’ll be a weak fool looking with pity at the two sides of everything til the day I die!” :(
Yes, I knew, and I took some poetic license in a new context... THE ICE WOMEN COMETH ... COMING TO PRIME TIME
this March (AND APRIL!). The new play is a happy sequel. Also, BTY, I used to work in P-town, MA. HOME of
"battling" Norman Mailer and the Pulitzer Prize Winner, Mary Oliver.. "Alas, poor Mary, I knew her". Act V.
We Boneyarders have diverse backgrounds! Cheers! Let the games begin! Z

Reaction Score
The coaches deserve little to no credit for the way Ice played this weekend. Fate dealt UConn a hand that required the coaches to replace a player and she was the only option available. If they had decided to go with her and she did what she did then I would say the coaches made a great move but that is not what happened. Geno is a great X and O coach but if a player doesn't practice the way he likes or makes a mistake in a game he has zero patience. He called the plays but I give 100% of the credit to Ice on what she proved this weekend.

To be clear this is not a knock on Geno, he is a great coach, to me the best in WCBB history. My point is he has a way that has always worked and he will never deviate from that unless he is forced to. The second point and just as important is every girl on UConn roster would be a key player on any other team in the Big East Conference so no fan should be surprised at how good they look when they get quality minutes without playing with fear of making a mistake.
Wow interesting take
What’s really good about going and seeing a game live is that you could actually watch a player and not the ball
Let me to point out the following improvements
In ice Brady’s game

-she stopped reaching constantly and learned to keep hands straight up avoiding fouls
-on pick and roll
She stopped completely hedging( except one time and Geno went crazy) and getting caught out of position

Instead of getting caught playing behind player who was posting she worked hard to keep fronting the player and not allowing the pass to the post
In short she did her work the whole posession

Made a post move with a reverse pivot
Which she did not do earlier in the season

Made ball fakes to draw fouls which again she was unable to do earlier in the season

When doubled in the post she was passed to the opposite side
Didn’t happen earlier in the season

I could go on

THIS IMPROVEMENT IS FROM COACHING!!!!!

Imho ice is a very skilled,exceptionally strong player but does not have the “explosion “
And quickness of elite athletic players
Her size and skill was more than enough in
High school
To be successful on the college level she needed
To improve her skills work harder and be coached
Losing a year and being forced to play major minutes before she was ready hurt her confidence
The combination of her hard work and COACHING
Was on display in the tournament

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow interesting take
What’s really good about going and seeing a game live is that you could actually watch a player and not the ball
Let me to point out the following improvements
In ice Brady’s game

-she stopped reaching constantly and learned to keep hands straight up avoiding fouls
-on pick and roll
She stopped completely hedging( except one time and Geno went crazy) and getting caught out of position

Instead of getting caught playing behind player who was posting she worked hard to keep fronting the player and not allowing the pass to the post
In short she did her work the whole posession

Made a post move with a reverse pivot
Which she did not do earlier in the season

Made ball fakes to draw fouls which again she was unable to do earlier in the season

When doubled in the post she was passed to the opposite side
Didn’t happen earlier in the season

I could go on

THIS IMPROVEMENT IS FROM COACHING!!!!!

Imho ice is a very skilled,exceptionally strong player but does not have the “explosion “
And quickness of elite athletic players
Her size and skill was more than enough in
High school
To be successful on the college level she needed
To improve her skills work harder and be coached
Losing a year and being forced to play major minutes before she was ready hurt her confidence
The combination of her hard work and COACHING
Was on display in the tournament
Nice analysis. But there is something else. After watching Ice in HS I described her as a left handed Morgan Tuck with a greater skill set. I was particularly focused on her smooth shooting stroke, all the way out to the arc. Ice has a wonderful shot. She doesn’t yet have the confidence to fire away, but that will come. When it does come, Ice will open up the court for her teammates, because teams will have to guard her at the 3-pt line.

Reaction Score
Nice analysis. But there is something else. After watching Ice in HS I described her as a left handed Morgan Tuck with a greater skill set. I was particularly focused on her smooth shooting stroke, all the way out to the arc. Ice has a wonderful shot. She doesn’t yet have the confidence to fire away, but that will come. When it does come, Ice will open up the court for her teammates, because teams will have to guard her at the 3-pt line.
Yes, she does seem to have good form
From foul
Line and with jump shot
I suspect lack of confidence has been a problem
Making the jump shot from the circle and the 3 on a good percentage would be the key
To getting to the next level

Reaction Score
Qadance may become a brilliant player. She is already performing well on defense ( the better she " understands " it, the more effective she has become ), and she has been a solid rebounder ( jumps well; has long arms, is strong). Her shooting is still not " scary good," but it is clear the potential is there. She is athletic, as you can see by her defense and when she has to work on a fast break, or under the hoop. She does need to improve her ball handling skills and ball security. When she puts the ball on the floor, it is often an adventure. And she tends to telegraph her passes a bit. But her passes are usually so crisp that they are successfully competed. I also think she is "wirey" strong....even though a bit more muscle would be welcomed on her frame. The more she plays, and the more comfort she has with her teammates on the court, the better she will become. And, importantly, the better decisions she will make. There are not many games left this season for that to happen, but every exposure helps. Particularly in the Big Dance. We are fortunate that she came to UCONN. And this almost didn't happen, correct?
One thing I’m looking forward to in reference to Q, is that she is going to be able to spend an entire season learning from the player she most closely resembles. I believe she will benefit from this in a big way and that she will eventually be a star for us.

Reaction Score
One of the things in the Georgetown game that went totally unnoticed by the announcers was how active her hands were. She was tipping balls that led to steals, of course that doesn't show up in the stats.
Yes it does: the player who tips the ball loose gets credit for the steal if a teammate gets the ball. Brady had four steals in the three-game tournament.

Reaction Score
The balls that Ice tipped, were not balls she was going to control. They were too far away from her body to secure. Not only did Ice tipping those balls give her teammates the opportunity to secure the basketball, but she also had the presence of mind to tip the balls away from the basket.
The best rebounders rarely tip the ball out. If Ice could get enough on the ball to tip it out 10 or 15 feet, it's likely she had enough of the ball to fight for it and grab it. If she was able to tip it out 10 or 15 feet, I don't think the opposition was in a real good position to control the rebound either.

Often, not all the time, tipping it out is an easy, lazy way to rebound. If the other player has 2 hands on the ball and the only thing you can do is bang it out of there, OK fine. Otherwise, not so good.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The best rebounders rarely tip the ball out. If Ice could get enough on the ball to tip it out 10 or 15 feet, it's likely she had enough of the ball to fight for it and grab it. If she was able to tip it out 10 or 15 feet, I don't think the opposition was in a real good position to control the rebound either.
Ice tipped the ball by reaching over shorter players in most cases. She could have banged bodies with the opponent to try to grab the ball but could not afford to get into foul trouble. Instead, she tipped the balls in the direction of her teammates

Reaction Score

Often, not all the time, tipping it out is an easy, lazy way to rebound. If the other player has 2 hands on the ball and the only thing you can do is bang it out of there, OK fine. Otherwise, not so good.
In Ice's defense, I don't believe she was being lazy in going after the rebounds. Instead I believe she was being smart and conscientious in tipping the ball to her teammates, knowing full well that the slightest infraction would probably gain her a foul call. She knew she had to stay in the game because there was no one else to play her position consistently, even though Paige was the "floating center" at times. In my opinion, Ice did exactly what she needed to do to help win the games. She grew up quickly in these last three days, and hopefully will improve next year. Good job Ice!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
@EricLA, thanks for starting this. Having a confident Ice has the potential to change how deep we go in the tourney - we haven't had 2 bigs on the court at the same time at all this season never mind confidently subbing one in and out. It gives us potential for an entirely new look offensively and defensively.
I believe that Ice and AE started against Texas, Ice didn't do so well. I think after the BE Tournament she has a chance to help UConn get #12.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score

Id have to disagree with this statement bcus if she was in position to use 2 hands to grab the rebound she would but if she isn't thn tapping to the ball out makes it an 50-50 chance tht ur teammates can snare the rebound, if the opponent has 2 hands and you try to tie up or fight for the rebound chances are there's gonna be a foul called, and with her lower number of fouls lately I'd say it's a good strategy on her part and probably has been taught by the coaches to do it, I like it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom