Shout out to Ice | The Boneyard

Shout out to Ice

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats again to Ice, and the rest of the team, for overcoming the loss of Liya midway thru the PC game in the 1st round.

Ice played 23 minutes in that game and had 4 fouls. Against Marquette, she played 40 minutes with 2 fouls, and against Georgetown, she played 40 minutes with 1 foul. And it's not like her defense or production dropped off while "avoiding" fouls. Just a tremendous 3 game series for her.

It's been awesome, as a neighbor of hers in San Diego, and having seen her several times in high school, to see her blossom into the player I knew/hoped she could be. I'm not saying she will average 12 and 8 every game, but for her to step up after Aaliyah's nose injury, and play 40 minutes in each subsequent game, speaks volumes to how much she's grown in confidence, and embraced the role the team needed from her.

I think she grew up a LOT right in front of our eyes - necessity is the mother of invention for sure. And Geno's comments about her - along the lines of "we always knew she had it in her, it was just her having the confidence to go out and play that way". Not an exact quote, but a theme he echoed several times in the post game interviews.

Over the 3 games for the BET, Ice averaged...
  • 34 minutes per game
  • 10.3 points per game
  • 5.3 rebounds per game
  • 1.3 assists per game
  • 1.3 steals per game
  • 1 block per game
  • 2.3 fouls per game
And those numbers are skewed down a bit as she played 23 minutes in the 1st round since Aaliyah was there for over half the game. Congrats again to the team, but shout out to Ice for her all around great performance. It was a thrill to watch!! :D

Reaction Score
Ice T Nod GIF by Law & Order

Reaction Score
One of the things in the Georgetown game that went totally unnoticed by the announcers was how active her hands were. She was tipping balls that led to steals, of course that doesn't show up in the stats.

She also had showed good strong hands on rebounds and handling tough passes where defenders were trying to steal the ball. I think that is a part of her game that drew criticism on the BY, but she had shown awesome improvement in that regard.

Reaction Score
One of the things in the Georgetown game that went totally unnoticed by the announcers was how active her hands were. She was tipping balls that led to steals, of course that doesn't show up in the stats.

She also had showed good strong hands on rebounds and handling tough passes where defenders were trying to steal the ball. I think that is a part of her game that drew criticism on the BY, but she had shown awesome improvement in that regard.
I agree. Her hands always appeared to be weak but she was just the opposite against Marquette and Georgetown. She played like she had been starting all year.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
@EricLA, thanks for starting this. Having a confident Ice has the potential to change how deep we go in the tourney - we haven't had 2 bigs on the court at the same time at all this season never mind confidently subbing one in and out. It gives us potential for an entirely new look offensively and defensively.

Reaction Score
She was awesome this tournament. One thing I’ve noticed since Aubrey’s injury is the second we go to the bench our play drops off. It’s really encouraging that with Ice in the lineup, the quality of play was still really high. She fit in pretty seamlessly and stepped up in a huge way. It will be crucial that she maintains this level in the NCAA Tournament so that we can legitimately rotate players and protect against foul trouble.

I did however notice that when Q subbed in, our flow went out the window, and Georgetown went on a run. When her defense catches up to her shooting ability she’ll be a really solid option.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Congrats again to Ice, and the rest of the team, for overcoming the loss of Liya midway thru the PC game in the 1st round.

Ice played 23 minutes in that game and had 4 fouls. Against Marquette, she played 40 minutes with 2 fouls, and against Georgetown, she played 40 minutes with 1 foul. And it's not like her defense or production dropped off while "avoiding" fouls. Just a tremendous 3 game series for her.

It's been awesome, as a neighbor of hers in San Diego, and having seen her several times in high school, to see her blossom into the player I knew/hoped she could be. I'm not saying she will average 12 and 8 every game, but for her to step up after Aaliyah's nose injury, and play 40 minutes in each subsequent game, speaks volumes to how much she's grown in confidence, and embraced the role the team needed from her.

I think she grew up a LOT right in front of our eyes - necessity is the mother of invention for sure. And Geno's comments about her - along the lines of "we always knew she had it in her, it was just her having the confidence to go out and play that way". Not an exact quote, but a theme he echoed several times in the post game interviews.

• 34 minutes per game
  • 10.3 points per game
  • 5.3 rebounds per game
  • 1.3 assists per game
  • 1.3 steals per game
  • 1 block per game
  • 2.3 fouls per game
And those numbers are skewed down a bit as she played 23 minutes in the 1st round since Aaliyah was there for over half the game. Congrats again to the team, but shout out to Ice for her all around great performance. It was a thrill to watch!! :D
You nailed it! Thank you for this thread FOR her.

When it was apparent she would start and play ALOT Sunday, I was very concerned. She shut me up and did it again last night. Thank you Ice!!!!!!!!!!!

Her team mates also helped her confidence, as the games progressed and she carried her "weight" like she had been starter all season.

Reaction Score
I agree. Her hands always appeared to be weak but she was just the opposite against Marquette and Georgetown. She played like she had been starting all year.
Agreed..
I believe that her weak hands have been a product of her "weak confidence".
During this tournament, and hopefully going forward, she is now playing/ reacting as opposed to thinking.
Whatever the case, I am thrilled for Ice and her teammates and coaches.
Her new-found self-confidence should be paying huge dividends!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That was a BIG game improvement. She deserves the accolades. Cutting off opposing drives to the basket, setting screens, passing, off ball movement, and free throws were top quality. She stepped up big time.

The only negative for her is that Geno will demand more from her in practices.

Reaction Score
It looks like someone taught or showed her how to play with "soft hands". When you have "hard hands" the ball bounces off them. Also showed her how to have her hands in the right position to NOT foul but to bother the other team. She looked ready to catch passes and tips too. Something you just have to work on in practice so you can use it in a game.
I think she grew up a lot when forced to. Just exactly what she needed.

Reaction Score
I was pleasantly surprised when Ice was able to play 40 mins without foul trouble against Marquette, but totally thrilled when she was able to repeat that against Gtown. Her scoring in Q1 got us going, got Gtown in some foul trouble, and her rebounding and blocks complemented our defensive dominance. I can't wait to see what she does in the NCAAT and next year.

Reaction Score

• 34 minutes per game
  • 10.3 points per game
  • 5.3 rebounds per game
  • 1.3 assists per game
  • 1.3 steals per game
  • 1 block per game
  • 2.3 fouls per game
If you watched her in high school, you know that the best part of her game has yet to be seen and that's her mid-range jump shot........I believe that she should be averaging 14-16 points per game if she gets consistent playing time.......her former high school opponent Brea Cunningham who was also highly ranked is averaging 7.8 points in 21.5 minutes per game at Arizona so it's not always easy to impress early on.....

Reaction Score
With 3:35 left in the 3rd, Nika got whistled for a foul. She wanted to argue with the ref until Ice reached around her shoulder and pulled her into a huddle. Even the floor general needs a nudge from a teammate every once in a while. It’s a little thing but it shows that there won’t be a leadership vacuum next season.

Reaction Score
I like others' watched tape of Ice in HS. One of the reasons I thought she would thrive here is as others have said is her elbow jumper. One of the reasons that she hasn't been able to demonstrate that ability is she hasn't shown like Aaliyah the quick first step and take off to the hoop. She has three more years to improve and she has a bright future as our power forward/center.

Reaction Score
A couple of things about Ice. I don't think she ever really had "bad hands". I think she was just surprised by many passes and especially unused to the zip put on the ball by our brilliant passers like Nika and Paige. Once she got used to the pace of play and the fact that she ALWAYS had to be ready to receive the pass, she improved a lot. The other key for her has been learning that she is bigger and badder than almost everyone on the court and how she can use that body to get open shots, gather rebounds and defend the basket.

Reaction Score
Also, credit to the coaching. They had Ice playing a very different defense than how Aaliyah plays. It was pretty much a one woman zone in the paint for her, not much chasing her player all over the court. I think that helped her a lot. When she got late in the games with no foul trouble, they turned her loose a bit.

Reaction Score
She turned the corner and flipped a switch. Defensively I don't know how she could have played better, she got deflections, steals and I'm not as concerned if Aaliyah declares for the draft because from what I saw, she operates best when she's the only post. She also kept her fouls low and she just looked like a UConn post player.

When she finds the confidence to consistently take her trademark mid-range jumper UConn will soar to huge heights.

Reaction Score
She was awesome this tournament. One thing I’ve noticed since Aubrey’s injury is the second we go to the bench our play drops off. It’s really encouraging that with Ice in the lineup, the quality of play was still really high. She fit in pretty seamlessly and stepped up in a huge way. It will be crucial that she maintains this level in the NCAA Tournament so that we can legitimately rotate players and protect against foul trouble.

I did however notice that when Q subbed in, our flow went out the window, and Georgetown went on a run. When her defense catches up to her shooting ability she’ll be a really solid option.
I don't have access to the +/- data. Qadence scored 9 points in 17 minutes. Only one starter scored at a higher pace points/minute.

Reaction Score
As many others have said before, her progress now is because she has almost a full year of practice and play on the college level. She had a major knee injury also and now she’s picking up where she needs to be. It took her some time to develop the confidence and get rid of the doubts. That probably came from getting stronger and more fit. Ice looks much stronger and leaner than she did in December. She put the work in. She has a beautiful shooting form also, textbook form.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
@EricLA, thanks for starting this. Having a confident Ice has the potential to change how deep we go in the tourney - we haven't had 2 bigs on the court at the same time at all this season never mind confidently subbing one in and out. It gives us potential for an entirely new look offensively and defensively.
You must not have been watching closely. Edwards and Ice have been on the court together a number of times this season.

Reaction Score

"Q" has a very nice upside!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom