Shooting from INSIDE the arc | The Boneyard

Shooting from INSIDE the arc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Armed with an excel spreadsheet, I crunched numbers this morning, after once again watching KLS make shots from inside the three-point line look easy. I know that you get 3 points for a 3 pointer, which is a nice bonus, but look at what happens to shooting % if you look at just the 2-point shots. KLS shoots 72%! She should step inside the line more often.

Stewie 62.5%
Mo 64.0%
Tuck 56.0%
KLS 72.0%
Gabby 63.9%
Kia 51.7%
Butler 58.4%
Napheesa 54.2%
Chong 48.3%
Eck 61.1%
Tierney 50.0%
Pulido 28.6%

Reaction Score
Armed with an excel spreadsheet, I crunched numbers this morning, after once again watching KLS make shots from inside the three-point line look easy. I know that you get 3 points for a 3 pointer, which is a nice bonus, but look at what happens to shooting % if you look at just the 2-point shots. KLS shoots 72%! She should step inside the line more often.

Stewie 62.5%
Mo 64.0%
Tuck 56.0%
KLS 72.0%
Gabby 63.9%
Kia 51.7%
Butler 58.4%
Napheesa 54.2%
Chong 48.3%
Eck 61.1%
Tierney 50.0%
Pulido 28.6%

Not that it makes any difference to the stat, but I would be willing to guess that at least 75% of those KLS 2-pt shot are lay up.

Reaction Score
With KLS I suspect it's a rhythm effect. That one or few little steps gets her into her rhythm as opposed to standing still, receiving the ball and then tossing up the 3-pointer.

Reaction Score
Not that it makes any difference to the stat, but I would be willing to guess that at least 75% of those KLS 2-pt shot are lay up.

ya, she is not just taking a step inside the line and hitting 75% of her shots.

Reaction Score

Stewie 62.5%
Mo 64.0%
Tuck 56.0%
KLS 72.0%
Gabby 63.9%
Kia 51.7%
Butler 58.4%
Napheesa 54.2%
Chong 48.3%
Eck 61.1%
Tierney 50.0%
Pulido 28.6%

Sure she should take a few more two's but defiantly do NOT take away the 3's. In her last 13 games she is shooting 37-75 from 3. That is an EFG% of 74%. And do your statistics show with her hot shooting the lanes she may now have opened up further just by her presence regarding hit or miss?

Do you believe Geno when he says his team needed 3point shooting?

KLS's 3pt shooting is now near equal to KML's 3pt% comparing frosh vs frosh. KML is arguably the greatest overall shooter from three than can score in NCAA History. If not one maybe two or three. KLS can rival that. You want to take that away in which you'll close the lane more for other UCONN players?

When UCONN play's a team that is on fire, don't you say "sooner or later they will start to miss?" Secondly, some 3pt shooters take very few shots per game. KLS takes very few two's. DO you really expect that her 2 point shot to be consistently at 72% the more she takes? Two point shots will probably be more contested right? With the 2 point shot unless it is a layup she probably can't set her legs up as much unless she is inside, right?

Isn't it harder to double-team a three point shooter than a two point shooter. If she is double teamed as a two point shooter, is it better she passes the ball BACK outside to a lesser shooter or if she just takes the three? OFC passing to the open man is ideal but going forward in her soph, jr and sr years - she is going to be more often than not the leading scorer, right? And not all of Stewie's, Maya's, DT's shots were uncontested. With the three, there is less chance of defensive traffic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I'll take that bet. An open 3-pointer is better than any other shot besides a lay-up.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Sure she should take a few more two's but defiantly do NOT take away the 3's. In her last 13 games she is shooting 37-75 from 3. That is an EFG% of 74%. And do your statistics show with her hot shooting the lanes she may now have opened up further just by her presence regarding hit or miss?

When UCONN play's a team that is on fire, don't you say "sooner or later they will start to miss?" Secondly, some 3pt shooters take very few shots per game. KLS takes very few two's. DO you really expect that her 2 point shot to be consistently at 72% the more she takes? Two point shots will probably be more contested right? With the 2 point shot unless it is a layup she probably can't set her legs up as much unless she is inside, right?

Isn't it harder to double-team a three point shooter than a two point shooter. If she is double teamed as a two point shooter, is it better she passes the ball BACK outside to a lesser shooter or if she just takes the three? OFC passing to the open man is ideal but going forward in her soph, jr and sr years - she is going to be more often than not the leading scorer, right? And not all of Stewie's, Maya's, DT's shots were uncontested. With the three, there is less chance of defensive traffic.

Theoretically it should be harder to double team and guard a 3 pt shooter , but the way the mind set is these days kids don't think about the mid range shots as much. Taking them OR defending them. In many instances they think that dribble to the basket is heading for an attempted layup or kick back out for 3. I especially love it when Lou & Stewie fake the 3 and dribble in to take that mid range shot. SO often they are wide open because kids aren't in tune with guarding it. Especially when you can stop and pop like those two can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom