Shocked this has not been made into an huge issue.... | The Boneyard

Shocked this has not been made into an huge issue....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am just shocked that we have not heard anything negative about how all four teams are coached by males. This was an issue a number of years ago. In fact many believed that they would put all the male coaches into one region to pick them off easier...
Any thoughts on this?

Reaction Score
I am just shocked that we have not heard anything negative about how all four teams are coached by males. This was an issue a number of years ago. In fact many believed that they would put all the male coaches into one region to pick them off easier...
Any thoughts on this?
Why don't you pose that question to Dan Shaughnesey :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on this?
They just never imagined those bozos would actually win their brackets! They already had the seats reserved for Dawn, Muffet, and Kim, and if worst came to worst and a two seed won one or two of the regions it was likely going to be Brenda or Charli!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Define "negative."

The numbers show that the number of females coaching women's basketball is less than it has been. Many reasons - most which have been discussed ad nauseum. Some in the sport are concerned. No obvious "solutions."

I don't mind so much - do want to folks to question the reasons behind the trend and see if there's anything that can be done to support women entering the professions. I also want then to enter the general athletic profession.

As for "plotting" against the men - I always enjoyed that paranoid through line. Poor babies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Define "negative."

The numbers show that the number of females coaching women's basketball is less than it has been. Many reasons - most which have been discussed ad nauseum. Some in the sport are concerned. No obvious "solutions."

I don't mind so much - do want to folks to question the reasons behind the trend and see if there's anything that can be done to support women entering the professions. I also want then to enter the general athletic profession.

As for "plotting" against the men - I always enjoyed that paranoid through line. Poor babies.

Geno has always had female assistant coaches, so he is doing his part to develop female head coaches. All teams in the final four have at least one female assistant coach, and Washington's Mike Neighbors has three female assistants, including Morgan Valley.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on this?

We're all caught up in this Dan Shaughnesey thing. What gender the coaches are is not nearly important as ripping Shaughnessey a new one.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Define "negative."

I agree 100% with your comments. The one aspect of the increase in men's coaches in the women's game that has always concerned me has been when essentially "failed" men's coaches get a women's coaching job over presumably qualified women and even men from within the women's game.

As to the gender of the coaches in the final four - is there really a reason it matters?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno had an interesting slant on this - he said a lot of the good young women coaches' first hire is a male assistant, they have a lot of success and the women move up, and the male assistants get hired either to replace them or to take over at some other mid major.
I do think men coaching women tend to hire female assistants at the college level and women do seem to like to add a male assistant - they are one step removed from in loco parentis with 18 year old college kids, so having that female/male combined authority may be more comforting to recruits - there are different issues that both boys and girls will be more comfortable dealing with either their father or mother about, and I think the same hold true in their transition to adulthood.
The issue is of course that the male sports are almost a closed shop, though a few enlighten coaches are finding that having a female assistant is a positive and brings something different to the table.

Reaction Score
Here's an interesting article.
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...ge-coaches-plummeted-since-title-ix/23889831/

"Since Title IX, however, the percentage of women coaches at the college level has dropped precipitously. Forty-three years ago, 90 percent of all women's teams were coached by women, according to Acosta and Carpenter's Women in Intercollegiate Sport study. Today, that number is 40 percent, according to NCAA Research."

If I'm an AD I pick a coach that's best for the University and the team, i.e. one with a proven track record. I don't care about gender.

Reaction Score
Good for us! There are certain refs that seem to favor female coaches or, to put it another way, hate male coaches. We are on an even playing field this time.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Did you notice that the majority of "Officials" sitting at the front table at Bridgeport were male? about seventy per cent. Why shouldn't that be more equal as well?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Did you notice that the majority of "Officials" sitting at the front table at Bridgeport were male? about seventy per cent. Why shouldn't that be more equal as well?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good for us! There are certain refs that seem to favor female coaches or, to put it another way, hate male coaches. We are on an even playing field this time.
I'm not sure Kim, Dawn,Brenda or Muffett would agree with you on this, and neither do I. I think you have incompetence across both genders for referees and very little competence overall-hate towards male coaches seems a little too conspiratorial.
I did not notice, how does that compare to the the overall pool of officials to be selected from? If someone manipulated the ratio to be different for Bridgeport I would have a hard time with that.

Reaction Score
The article in today's NY Times mentions this too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree 100% with your comments. The one aspect of the increase in men's coaches in the women's game that has always concerned me has been when essentially "failed" men's coaches get a women's coaching job over presumably qualified women and even men from within the women's game.

As to the gender of the coaches in the final four - is there really a reason it matters?
I don't know, I kind a like our "failed men's coach."

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Kim, Dawn,Brenda or Muffett would agree with you on this, and neither do I. I think you have incompetence across both genders for referees and very little competence overall-hate towards male coaches seems a little too conspiratorial.

I'm sure they would disagree. I don't care. I also don't care if people want to dismiss this as conspiratorial.

I know this, every time in the past where it seemed like we were on the short end of a big foul or FTA differential or when it seemed like they let our opponent manhandle our team and called us for touch fouls, there were always certain refs on the floor. Sure, they are incompetent too but that doesn't mean they can't also be biased.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score

Your last line says it all! I think many people just sit around all day searching for items which might cause a controversy. if you like the sport, just watch it and enjoy it.....and, by the way, why do so many women coaches wear high heels on a basketball court??

Reaction Score
Over the years, the NCAA has set up the brackets so the top male coaches would knock each other out of the tourny. Ask Andy Landers how much he was screwed by playing us almost every year or Mitchell with Kentucky. They are sexist when it comes to male coaches.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Or Aston this year - did he like getting Uconn for the second year in a row - the NCAAs really screwed him over! What, Aston is a woman ... oh ... Never mind!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I'm sure they would disagree. I don't care. I also don't care if people want to dismiss this as conspiratorial.

I know this, every time in the past where it seemed like we were on the short end of a big foul or FTA differential or when it seemed like they let our opponent manhandle our team and called us for touch fouls, there were always certain refs on the floor. Sure, they are incompetent too but that doesn't mean they can't also be biased.
Had to give you a like, just for "conspiratorial".

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Any thoughts on this?
Who cares? Next year Brenda Frese is going to show us all how easy it is to win a championship when you get the best players. Something Walz couldn't do getting two years with the best.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Had to give you a like, just for "conspiratorial".
The I'm going to claim plagiarism because I used it first.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Your hyperbole is overwhelming. When was UCONN on the short end of a "big" foul or FTA differential?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I would like to know if there were more women fans or more male fans in Bridgeport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom