Shabazz !!!! | The Boneyard

Shabazz !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just a great progression for SN from freshman year. I wonder what last year's team would have done if he was healthy last season and the NCAA didn't mess with RB.

Reaction Score
8 rebounds, 4 steals, 7 assists with 0 turnovers, and 16 points. OK he was 5-13 but missed two layups.

Bazz could be National Player of the Year next year. If not AP then Naismith. If not Naismith then Wooden Award. If not Wooden Award then NABC Player of the Year. If not NABC then Oscar Robertson Award if they still have that 1.

Reaction Score
Will be our best guard ever (collegiately speaking) after next year. Kemba, Calhoun, Ricky, Hobbs and Ollie.... could he have had any better mentors? You can see Coach is attached to him.

Blew a couple of ESPN layups but with that lead it was playground time and it didn't matter. Kid can play low key, flashy, mistake free, anyway you want to win. Thats because he's a Champion and knows what to do.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Also, he hit two free throws that basically sealed a national championship. He could go 0 for his next thousand and that would still be true.

Reaction Score
He's definitely playing much more controlled, intelligent basketball this year. Last year he was out of control too frequently. Boatright looks like he can be the next Kemba Walker. If Shabazz and Boatright don't leave (which they shouldn't), between the 2 of them, Daniels and Calhoun (who needs to work on his ball handling skills desperately) we will be back in the top 10 and title contention next season. They will be the deadliest backcourt in the country. Wolfe is looking more solid and will grow next year as well. We just need 1 more big and we can be back at it. I would love at shot at this Kentucky team that is being glorified before even getting to school because they have every recruit possible.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
8 rebounds, 4 steals, 7 assists with 0 turnovers, and 16 points. OK he was 5-13 but missed two layups.
I forgot the shot he took which essentially was a bounce off the backboard to Wolf. He reduced his shooting percentage, but gave the team another offensive rebound!:) Shot was deliberate.

Reaction Score
I think he was slighted in the "Steals" category. Seems like he had more than 4.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think he was slighted in the "Steals" category. Seems like he had more than 4.
Some of Bazz's steals didn't even look like steals. More like he let the guy go by him and just put his hand where the ball was coming up on the dribble as he started to accelerate down court. Ended up looking more like a hand off on the weave than a steal.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Bazz has taken WAY more heat than he has deserved over the past year or so.

Last year he had some sophomore bumps in the road, but you can't blame the disappointing year on him. He was playing through injury most of the year.
He stuck with the program through thick and thin in the off-season, even after Calhoun left (its obvious he and Calhoun have a special relationship).

Bazz has impressed the hell out of me this year. He does EVERYTHING that the team needs from him. He can handle the ball really well and create his own shot. If they need him to be a scorer, he turns it on. If he needs to be a distributor, he does it. The team has been having issues grabbing rebounds lately, he's been doing that too! He can stuff the stat sheet in many different ways. I criticized his defense a lot last year -- too often he let his man get by him so that he could attempt a steal (although I believe people underestimate how much his injuries last year affected him in this respect). He seems to have improved on that this year and is playing great team defense.

His attitude on the court is more impressive as well. He doesn't get too high or too low with his emotions. He's stoic. He's been the Yin to Boatright's Yang. Last year I saw a frustrated Bazz complaining too much on the court. None of that this year.

Every now and then Bazz will throw up an ill-advised shot early in the shot-clock... but the kid is a leader of the team and we can cut him slack. He's also earned the green light on those types of shots because he's shown the ability to hit those tough shots from time to time.

Also, as someone stated earlier in the thread, Bazz is a champion. He hit those FTs vs UK and Calimari's scum team to seal a spot in the championship game. He's one of my favorite Huskies, and it's really been a pleasure to watch the kid mature year-to-year.

Really excited about next year if everyone stays, which I anticipate they all will.

caw

Reaction Score
He still complains a bit, but it's much more muted. He has been fantastic all year.

Reaction Score
Bazz is playing his way into the NBA. He will be a capable backup for years

Reaction Score
I think what we are seeing from Shabazz is someone with both the desire and the will to work to succeed. He takes basketball seriously, and clearly works at the game, and what he does at the game shows what he does between games (and seasons) I think. He's earned respect.

Reaction Score
His defense and energy have been a lot better this year than last year, looks a lot more like he did as a freshman (in a good way).
I kind of wonder how bad his foot injury effected him from a conditioning and rhythm standpoint going into last year.

Reaction Score
Hopefully by the end of his senior campaign we can place him in the husky of honor.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Foot injury was serious enough to require surgery. Kid played through pain all season without making excuses. I agree with baldinghusky, Shabazz takes the game seriously. Between going out all season with pain and watching the other captain trying to be popular instead of developing or getting others to develop it was a tough season for Shabazz. I think he wanted to give JC another NC.

This team could have come out without energy after last game. It didn't because this team is composed of players who want to strive for excellence. Last years team was submarined.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hopefully by the end of his senior campaign we can place him in the husky of honor.

Only if he wins next season. I think if we go 16-14, he doesn't get it. But I don't want to jinx anything or anybody. Let Shabazz keep playing and he'll be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyClifton

Top Bottom