Shabazz and DeAndre | The Boneyard

Shabazz and DeAndre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
True or False: If Shabazz and DeAndre play to their absolute highest potential this season, both will be named First Team All American.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
False. Even if that happens, we don't get enough respect from the national media to get 2 All-Americans

Reaction Score
False. Shabazz has a shot, he basically has to crack the consensus top-2 guards of Marcus Smart and Russ Smith (and fight off guys like Aaron Craft or the freshman guards).

DeAndre can go nuts and average 17 and 8, but he has way more competition at forward, especially because you can pretty much pencil in Doug McDermott for one spot. Then he has to beat out a really good crop of freshman (Randle, Wiggins, Parker, Gordon) plus a bunch of other guys - Rodney Hood, CJ Fair, Kyle Anderson, McAdoo, and others. I think DeAndre will be better than a few of those guys, but not all.

Reaction Score
First Team All American? That's all Vanity BS to me like Miss America or Miss World. Nobody will remember hardly a year rolls by. I would say aim higher.
How about this for a prediction? would it be something for the fans that Shabazz and DeAndre can step up and pull off the same feat that Khalid and RIP did in 99'?
Maybe I am dreaming, but with the right amount of chemistry and support cast from this year's team, it's in the cards :D

Reaction Score
Interesting point, but I'll also say no. Even if they both put up deserving numbers, there are just too many other people in front (in the media's eyes, not mine). Also, they would probably steal votes from each other. At the same time, if we have a dominating year that directly correlates to Bazz and DD, then it'd be tough to keep both of them off any AA teams (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.). Also think from an unbiased POV that Bazz is a great pick for a dark horse Cousy candidate.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
First Team All American? That's all Vanity BS to me like Miss America or Miss World. Nobody will remember hardly a year rolls by. I would say aim higher.
How about this for a prediction? would it be something for the fans that Shabazz and DeAndre can step up and pull off the same feat that Khalid and RIP did in 99'?
Maybe I am dreaming, but with the right amount of chemistry and support cast from this year's team, it's in the cards :D

96 1st Team All-Americans were Tim Duncan, Marcus Camby (Neismith POY), Ray Allen, Kerry Kittles, and Alan Iverson. The latter 3 were also 1st Team All Big East. 4 of the 5 went on to have at more than long and serviceable NBA careers. The only reason I know that off the top of my head is because it was my Freshman year in Storrs. A lot has happened since then. Aside from Tyler Hansborough, I can't tell you for sure any other 1st team All American.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score

All they need is for one of the bigs to have a Jake Voshkul type season. The rest of the perimeter players lead by Boatright, Giffey and Calhoun are arguably better than the '99 team.

D

Deleted member 3149

More of a joke? Ben Habsbrough winning BE POY. Kid probably slept in a kemba walker jersey... Where's he playing now, Ireland?

hahah so true. At least that one makes a LITTLE bit of sense because we went 9-9 in conference. But nontheless, dumb. Jimmer actually slept in a Walker jersey.

Reaction Score
96 1st Team All-Americans were Tim Duncan, Marcus Camby (Neismith POY), Ray Allen, Kerry Kittles, and Alan Iverson. The latter 3 were also 1st Team All Big East. 4 of the 5 went on to have at more than long and serviceable NBA careers. The only reason I know that off the top of my head is because it was my Freshman year in Storrs. A lot has happened since then. Aside from Tyler Hansborough, I can't tell you for sure any other 1st team All American.

Are you familiar with the NBA all-star selection process? Do you know why Yao ming is a perennial all-star? Not a knock on him, but just saying...

The championship is fought, by sweat, blood and tears. The joy of being the last team standing and holding it is the ultimate recognition, waaaayyyyy more than the titular epithet in any scale, let alone the individual ones.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Are you familiar with the NBA all-star selection process? Do you know why Yao ming is a perennial all-star? Not a knock on him, but just saying...

The championship is fought, by sweat, blood and tears. The joy of being the last team standing and holding it is the ultimate recognition, waaaayyyyy more than the titular epithet in any scale, let alone the individual ones.
Ummm, roughly the same way every other sports' all-star team is selected?? That really wasn't my point.

In fact, what I said sort of supports your statement. I remember the 1996 AAs. I do not remember more than a small handful since. Though give me a year and I can probably tell you who won the title.

Reaction Score
All they need is for one of the bigs to have a Jake Voshkul type season. The rest of the perimeter players lead by Boatright, Giffey and Calhoun are arguably better than the '99 team.

HUH? A Jake Voskuhl type season? Jake was AMAZING that year. He did all the little things that help win championships. That is not something that is easily duplicated. AND the 99 team was absolutely loaded. Hamilton was a superstar, Khalid was a star, KFree and Jake were warriors and Ricky was the best defensive guard we have ever had, plus we had Rash Jones and Albert Mouring coming off the bench. I think you are seriously underestimating that 99 squad.

Husky25

Reaction Score
HUH? A Jake Voskuhl type season? Jake was AMAZING that year. He did all the little things that help win championships. That is not something that is easily duplicated. AND the 99 team was absolutely loaded. Hamilton was a superstar, Khalid was a star, KFree and Jake were warriors and Ricky was the best defensive guard we have ever had, plus we had Rash Jones coming off the bench. I think you are seriously underestimating that 99 squad.

As did the rest of the country. Not during the regular season so much (ranked 1 or 2 all year long), but to be almost double digit underdogs to Duke in the Championship game was asinine. Duke was a young team. only 3 of their players contributors were upper classmen and one main contributor was Corey Maggette. Jim Calhoun said on CenterStage that he knew that UConn was the better team, in no small part due to their experience.

Reaction Score
Its hard to imagine Napier having an even better season, if he does I don't see another guard matching his production. the more healthy he is the more of a game changer he could be defensively. 50/40/90 ? he might get to the line too much to shoot 90%, the other two are attainable.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
HUH? A Jake Voskuhl type season? Jake was AMAZING that year. He did all the little things that help win championships. That is not something that is easily duplicated. AND the 99 team was absolutely loaded. Hamilton was a superstar, Khalid was a star, KFree and Jake were warriors and Ricky was the best defensive guard we have ever had, plus we had Rash Jones and Albert Mouring coming off the bench. I think you are seriously underestimating that 99 squad.

As tough minded a team as any, ever.

On the thread topic, seems like Shabazz has a better shot. Big TV games can also have a disproportionate impact.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
More of a joke? Ben Habsbrough winning BE POY. Kid probably slept in a kemba walker jersey... Where's he playing now, Ireland?
When Ben Hansbrough goes to sleep he wear's a Kemba Walker jersey; it's the only way he wakes up a winner.

Reaction Score
False. Shabazz has a shot, he basically has to crack the consensus top-2 guards of Marcus Smart and Russ Smith (and fight off guys like Aaron Craft or the freshman guards).

DeAndre can go nuts and average 17 and 8, but he has way more competition at forward, especially because you can pretty much pencil in Doug McDermott for one spot. Then he has to beat out a really good crop of freshman (Randle, Wiggins, Parker, Gordon) plus a bunch of other guys - Rodney Hood, CJ Fair, Kyle Anderson, McAdoo, and others. I think DeAndre will be better than a few of those guys, but not all.
If our center can box out this year DD will own the defensive bosrds
He could average 17-10 . He is the second coming of the worm.
If he averages a double and we make a run both players are a possibility.

Reaction Score
True or False: If Shabazz and DeAndre play to their absolute highest potential this season, both will play for the eventual national champions?

TRUE

Reaction Score
This has to be a team of 5 or 6 players playing up to their potential or exceeding it to have a crack at the NC. I don't see individual honors meaning much to either of these guys. Unless UConn shows out they won't be satisfied. The team has something to prove and must be of one mind and effort to succeed.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score

Oh its on! First, how do you underestimate a NC team that went 34-2. Exalting this team is far from underestimating the '99 team. That being said, your critique of my post (#9) where I am replying to post #4, in which HailUconn states that if Deandre/Shabazz have a Rip/Khalid season we can win the NC is a little harsh. I think if Deandre and Shabazz have that type of season, the key ingredient to a NC is the 5 spot.

In '99 Voskuhl averaged 21.3 mpg, 6.4 rpg, 5.5 ppg, 1.5 bpg and played inspired interior defense guarding the lane like a dog guarding a pile of bacon :). If Olander or Nolan can give us that type of season (not inconceivable) with solid bench support, we could get a Voskuhl type season at the 5.

I think Deandre plays Freeman's position (12.2 ppg, 7.3 rpg in '99) and has the potential to be better than Freeman at offense and rebounding, but probably won't ever be as good a defender though he's not bad. Shabazz is better than Khalid (13.3 ppg, 3.9 apg in '99) and could have a Hamiltonesqe season although he probably won't match his point totals. While Moore may have been the best defensive UConn guard in the history of the program Boatright is no slouch and will score a lot more points and assists than Moore did in '99 (6.8 ppg, 3.6 apg). As for Mouring and Jones, Mouring as a Soph. averaged 7.1 ppg that year and Jones, although the Sr. Captain that year, only played 10 mpg and averaged 3.5 ppg, unlike in '97 where he average 10+ ppg. Kromah could singlehandedly give us that type of scoring off the bench. Finally, Rip played the 3 that year and was unstoppable. Calhoun and Giffey, while not Rip, will hold down that position by committee and could give us 20+ ppg and 10+ rpg as a unit. If we get Facey eligible and he provides a spark off the bench that's another plus.

Accordingly, I think that we could have a '99 caliber season provided KO gets these guys to play defense like that '99 team, who always could get key stops. Again, the biggest question mark is the 5 spot, which only has to be as good as Voskuhl was in '99 to give us a solid shot at a run to the NC.

So, in conclusion - take that Huskybass.

Reaction Score
Oh its on! First, how do you underestimate a NC team that went 34-2. Exalting this team is far from underestimating the '99 team. That being said, your critique of my post (#9) where I am replying to post #4, in which HailUconn states that if Deandre/Shabazz have a Rip/Khalid season we can win the NC is a little harsh. I think if Deandre and Shabazz have that type of season, the key ingredient to a NC is the 5 spot.

In '99 Voskuhl averaged 21.3 mpg, 6.4 rpg, 5.5 ppg, 1.5 bpg and played inspired interior defense guarding the lane like a dog guarding a pile of bacon :). If Olander or Nolan can give us that type of season (not inconceivable) with solid bench support, we could get a Voskuhl type season at the 5.

I think Deandre plays Freeman's position (12.2 ppg, 7.3 rpg in '99) and has the potential to be better than Freeman at offense and rebounding, but probably won't ever be as good a defender though he's not bad. Shabazz is better than Khalid (13.3 ppg, 3.9 apg in '99) and could have a Hamiltonesqe season although he probably won't match his point totals. While Moore may have been the best defensive UConn guard in the history of the program Boatright is no slouch and will score a lot more points and assists than Moore did in '99 (6.8 ppg, 3.6 apg). As for Mouring and Jones, Mouring as a Soph. averaged 7.1 ppg that year and Jones, although the Sr. Captain that year, only played 10 mpg and averaged 3.5 ppg, unlike in '97 where he average 10+ ppg. Kromah could singlehandedly give us that type of scoring off the bench. Finally, Rip played the 3 that year and was unstoppable. Calhoun and Giffey, while not Rip, will hold down that position by committee and could give us 20+ ppg and 10+ rpg as a unit. If we get Facey eligible and he provides a spark off the bench that's another plus.

Accordingly, I think that we could have a '99 caliber season provided KO gets these guys to play defense like that '99 team, who always could get key stops. Again, the biggest question mark is the 5 spot, which only has to be as good as Voskuhl was in '99 to give us a solid shot at a run to the NC.

So, in conclusion - take that Huskybass.

Please don't compare Ricky Moore and Rash Jones to Boatright and Kromah by using numbers. Basketball teams need some players to produce numbers, but they don't need all players to produce numbers, and neither Boatright nor Kromah is anywhere near as helpful to a team winning games and championships as Moore and Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom