SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 48 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
image.jpg
my current facial expression

Reaction Score
From my memory, Ashmeade was a huge get at the time as he was the first 4* ish recruit to commit to us. No one expected that we would add player after player after that. Rudy was considered the jewel of the class until Donyell came along. I think Rudy was ranked #19 at one point.
My recollection was Donyell #8, Fair top 50, Rudy top 100, and Ashmeade somewhere around 50 to 75. But, here's a video TCF posted that can help.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Huge get -- we needed a shooter. He'll complement the more dribble-drive oriented guys quite nicely.

That comment about being a "pure basketball school" though...
Finish the sentence ......stings but couldn't be any more true.

Reaction Score
Question, Donyell Marshal as he came to UCONN was a shooter and I'm a believer that shooting is in the DNA. Was ranked higher than Jackson in the top 10, slightly taller, both bean poles. Is there any comparison here?

Reaction Score
Question, Donyell Marshal as he came to UCONN was a shooter and I'm a believer that shooting is in the DNA. Was ranked higher than Jackson in the top 10, slightly taller, both bean poles. Is there any comparison here?

No comparison, if you're bound to the UConn bubble Durham is the better comparison to Donyell.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
This is great news! Welcome to the UConn family, Vance.

Always felt he was the better fit between him and Gabriel. At least that's how I now remember it. My reality is likely different from those who remember otherwise. ;) Now I'll go and eat my pound of crow.

It was interesting what Eric Bossi said on one of the National Recruiting Board forums about Jackson. It was as follows:

I think that Jackson has a long way to go defensively and I think that he's much more of a stretch four than a small forward as initially thought. Scores points and has shooting range, but I'm not sure how much of the way he does things will translate to the college game. Learning to play in a true college system is going to be an adjustment and I think the speed of the game is going to be something that will take some getting used to.

From all accounts, he's one of the better shooters in this class. He might be a tad light on the athletic side of things which would make defending his position a challenge, but as many have pointed out, Shad fit this very description and more than made up for his struggles on the defensive end of things with some big time Winning Time Daggers.

I'm excited to see how Vance develops over his time here in Storrs.

Again, Welcome to Husky Nation!!!!
Glad to hear you aren't on suicide watch as we all had feared after this announcement.

Reaction Score

Love this pickup! We needed quality bodies as we are losing our srs. and probably RP, AB and DH. This is a great get and is really showing that kids are connecting with KO even if they are across the country. Love that KO is our coach! Now hopefully he gets Diallo to reclassify and commit to us and we would be all set for next year pretty much. Go UCONN!!!

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Question, Donyell Marshal as he came to UCONN was a shooter...
Neither Marshall came to UConn known as a shooter. Both worked themselves into serviceable floor-stretchers, but were elite in other areas.

Jackson's only elite skill (at this point) is his shooting. Needs to improve in every other facet of his game (though I think his passing is very, very good).

Best comparison is a larger 'Shad, but even that's not quite right. More like a combo of 'Shad and a rich-man's Tolksdorf.

Reaction Score
Finish the sentence .stings but couldn't be any more true.

Let's just say that perception of UConn as a "pure basketball school" doesn't help in today's football-drives-the-bus-in-CR climate.

Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
Let's just say that perception of UConn as a "pure basketball school" doesn't help in today's football-drives-the-bus-in-CR climate.

Then it's up to football to start winning games. Tomorrow is one we need to win. I'll be there for it. I wish I was able to be at Gampel tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom