SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This thread has turned crazy.
At least I'm posting about Jackson, unlike 50% of the recruiting posts that are about Pizza and completely other topics. :)

I'll put an end to this as far as my involvement with this topic. Just suprised that people have had such an issue with this and not just looked at it as a healthy debate/discussion.

I don't know, do some think that Jackson might read this forum and decide not to come because of this. That would be nuts, and not saying people are thinking such. Or maybe they feel I'm messing with all the good feelings of an impending commitment. He's going to decide based on his visit and interaction with the coaching staff, the players and his family.

Anyhow, I'm done with jumping in on this one any further.

Reaction Score
The reaction is basically because you are being a buzzkill. We have an awesome recruit on campus who is supposedly very into Uconn. You are discussing holding out for a different awesome player that is supposedly giving Uconn very little consideration.

Reaction Score
The reaction is basically because you are being a buzzkill. We have an awesome recruit on campus who is supposedly very into Uconn. You are discussing holding out for a different awesome player that is supposedly giving Uconn very little consideration.
Wasn't my intention, but valid point.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Just curious, JonnyRI, do you have some inside info? How do you know that Gabriel isn't committing here in the end? If he does, I hope you're willing to eat your pound of crow. Hum...you a PC fan. If so, why are you even in this discussion, but maybe I'm making an incorrect assumption here.

I've never said that Gabriel was coming here. Just would like him to though. We are in his top 3 or 5, whatever the case. And he still has an official visit scheduled.
No reason to call a season ticket holder (go section 221) and lifelong UConn fan a PC because I live in RI. Crossed all sorts of lines with that.

On a serious note I just don't understand how anyone could not be fired up to get a top 50 (or for some on this board a top 51) recruit is visiting and totally trending to commit and instead at the same time whine about holding out for a guy who is trending toward ACC country. Would love Gabriel but would be just as happy with Jackson, especially if it means getting a guy who will be here for at least 2-3 years.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Good points, David.

I'm a bit surprised that some seem to be hot and bothered that I brought this up. I've not said that I have any insider perspective. I've not said that Vance would be a bad fit or is not a good prospect. I've only shared my preference of Gabriel over Jackson and why..

Dog, I'm not sure sure why people are reacting to your preference so strongly I guess being a little tone deaf to a feel good thread. But I think a couple of folks are coming at you a bit strong. This too shall pass.

I want to add that while WG wants to play the 3, it is not because, as someone posted, of his talent or comfort there. From anything I've seen. It is because he believes that will be better for his NBA career. He has every right to worry about his future, but we have every right to wonder about his ability to play defense at the 3.

Reaction Score
And for the record, the decision has already been made by the staff. If vance commits he's in.
Exactly. The staff has offered. That means if he accepts, he is first up. There's no "taking" anyone over anyone else in this case.

And regardless, Gabriel doesn't even count while Vance does ;)

Reaction Score
Dog, I'm not sure sure why people are reacting to your preference so strongly I guess being a little tone deaf to a feel good thread. But I think a couple of folks are coming at you a bit strong. This too shall pass.

I want to add that while WG wants to play the 3, it is not because, as someone posted, of his talent or comfort there. From anything I've seen. It is because he believes that will be better for his NBA career. He has every right to worry about his future, but we have every right to wonder about his ability to play defense at the 3.

It wasn't necessarily that DM said he would prefer WG over VJ - I think 90% of this board would say that given the choice of only 1. It was that he said he thinks we should essentially hold off on a commitment from Jackson until after Gabriel's visit next weekend. I'm not going to take as strong a stance against him saying this as other guys (although I do disagree with him), but let's get the facts straight as to why he is getting a hard time.

I don't know if its a Jackson or Gabriel situation and I certainly don't think Gabriel would be scared off by Jackson. As someone mentioned earlier, Durham is a much more comparable player to Gabriel than Jackson is. Additionally, I think this is all sort of a moot point, as all indications are that we don't have that great a shot at Gabriel anyway, and that we have a much better shot at Jackson.

Give me Jackson and then let's see how the Diallo situation plays out. If we don't get him or if he sticks in '17, I think we try to pick up another guard in the spring.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly - they are going all out for Vance - party tonight I am told. Make no mistake he is having a good time. Let's not over analyze - you take the best guys you can get - guys at his level always have other options after a verbal if things don't play out to their liking.

Reaction Score
I can't tell if he means the boneyard is going to celebrate his commitment with a party or if Vance will be attending a party on campus tonight alongside chief.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly - they are going all out for Vance - party tonight I am told. Make no mistake he is having a good time. Let's not over analyze - you take the best guys you can get - guys at his level always have other options after a verbal if things don't play out to their liking.
Say what's up to Andre for me.

Reaction Score
I'm not even sure the gap between Jackson and Gabriel is that big . Jackson has been at it , consensus NEAR top 50 recruit for what 3 years ? Him and maybe some nameless pg with upside to strengthen a weak guard core ... That would end as a top tier class regardless of what happens up top

2016 is loaded , if hamilton were 2016 he would probably land 35-50 ...

Reaction Score
He's actually not sure if he hung out with Vance and them this weekend. He'll decide in a couple days.

I always hate when I'm hanging out with somebody and then they go back in time and change their plans. Really puts me in a tough spot especially when it turns out they weren't even in the same section of the country.

Reaction Score
I always hate when I'm hanging out with somebody and then they go back in time and change their plans. Really puts me in a tough spot especially when it turns out they weren't even in the same section of the country.

I would expect someone who doesn't understand the game to say that. Don't worry, there's room for fans like you too.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I would expect someone who doesn't understand the game to say that. Don't worry, there's room for fans like you too.
But only if he spends the time to learn about the players on the team.

caw

Reaction Score
You should look it up, because all of your assumptions are wrong.

I would argue one of my "assumptions" was right. Probably the last one where I said some other players have a larger spread throughout the services causing Vance to be higher than his average would be if you were taking a strict average.

However, in your quoted portion they do not explicitly state what they consider "major media services." So one of my two other assumptions could be correct also, they don't include one of the ones I included, or they include another I did not include. I have no time to look it up right now. Feel free to educate me more if you find it.

Right, but I certainly wouldn't use "top-75" player for a guy whose average ranking is #51.

The composite is not an average, or if it is I don't know what data they are using for the average.

Jackson's average amongst 24-7, Rivals, Scout and ESPN is 57.

Again, two of the four put him outside the top 60, let alone top 50. Two put him decidedly inside.

I certainly wouldn't call him a consensus top 50 guy based on the spread of data or his average.

Reaction Score
With some kids like Vance who have been ranked and assessed for such a long time, three years, they tend to fall back a little as other unknowns shoot up the ranks. I remember all the buzz about Tyler Dorsey losing his mojo over the years, and he plummeted in the rankings. But the kid showed that he is a bigtime player in that world basketball U21 tournament.

Reaction Score
I can't believe DogMania next'd Vance.
Real funny, 8893. If Vance comits this weekend or soon after, which there's a good chance he does, I'll celebrate with the collective.

Never have dropped a next on Vance or any recruit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To throw a random name out there...Christian Watford? I know little to nothing about Jackson so forgive me if I come off as ignorant, I'm just wondering who the most natural comp is. Not sure if he's the same type of athlete that Giffey was.

Reaction Score
To throw a random name out there...Christian Watford? I know little to nothing about Jackson so forgive me if I come off as ignorant, I'm just wondering who the most natural comp is. Not sure if he's the same type of athlete that Giffey was.
i'm thinking daniel hamilton but bigger with a worst first step.. a very natural fit for small ball ( stretch not playmaking) 4.. loves to shoot and is proud of his jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom