SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 38 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Enough of the sour grapes. You guys are a bunch of babies. A recruit went to Kentucky instead of UConn. Who fuc.king cares? Gabriel would've been nice to have in the class, but any sane person realizes that he wasn't a do-or-die recruit.

So when a player decides to go elsewhere, everyone must instantly display their undying respect and admiration for said recruit and refrain from expressing their opinions otherwise... unless the player is a "do-or-die" recruit, in which case its fine to express all opinions?

I just want to make sure I keep up on the rules of posting on this forum and when its okay or not to share my opinions

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I look at it another way. This is not a Kentucky versus UConn issue. The majority of the players Kentucky gets would get into the NBA as one and dones with most good programs. I believe it's naive to think these kids don't know that. If my assumption is correct than the question that should be asked is why would these kids want to attend a program in which you have to sit for major parts of games when you can display your skills in major minutes at another program?

The only answers I can come up with are these kids want to take the easiest path to the NBA (not reputation, but degree of work both academically as well as practice) or are concerned about injuries. Both rationals are intelligent but I prefer players who are like Bazz. Give me hungry Huskies with talent any day!

I believe that now that the APR sanctions are no longer an issue, KO will end up with enough good talent to test the Kentucky model repeatedly and not as a one off.
I'm going to edit myself in this second post. I should have written "The only non cynical answers"!

Reaction Score
This is going to sound like sour grapes but I have this distinct feeling that UK isn't going to work out as well for him as he believes. Seems like a great kid so I hope it does work out for him. Hopefully he makes it to the NBA like he wants.

caw

Reaction Score
This makes a ton of sense for Gabriel.

PC never had a legit chance. Well not once he blew up.

UConn is pretty stacked at his position (or if not stacked at least has a potential 30 minute guy there in Larrier and even the four is pretty crowded with Durham/Facey/Diarra/Enoch, though some may put the last two at the five). I think he did Ollie a favor by announcing before his OV.

He was enamored with Duke but likely wasn't going to play the three for them. Heck he would be lucky to get many minutes as a freshman if they get who they want (Giles). He definitely wouldn't start.

Maryland had some potential but honestly who wouldn't chose UK over Maryland with the programs/coaches they both have. UK promised him time at the three and they will likely have time there for him. I mean who is there now that is going to stay?

I do think he is a tad overrated, but he's made such huge strides the past year, it's not hard to project really great things for him if he puts in the work.

caw

Reaction Score
In addition, it's interesting the two guys UConn went after with any effort and missed out on were two top 20 SFs (both to the state of Kentucky).

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
This is going to sound like sour grapes but I have this distinct feeling that UK isn't going to work out as well for him as he believes. Seems like a great kid so I hope it does work out for him. Hopefully he makes it to the NBA like he wants.

He wouldn't be the first guy to transfer to UConn after Ollie was the second choice.

Reaction Score
Yeah obviously this is rampant speculation but this kid's still pretty raw and I can see him being squeezed out and not staying in Lexington all that long.
That's the way I see it. Calipari brings in kids that are ready for the draft coming out of high school which Gabriel isn't close to. I see it as a bad decision for Gabriel because there is a decent chance he gets squeezed.

Reaction Score
Yeah obviously this is rampant speculation but this kid's still pretty raw and I can see him being squeezed out and not staying in Lexington all that long.

Yea, I know the "I'm not a boneyarder" posters are going to view our opinons as sour grapes, but with Durham and Diarra this isn't really a big deal, it would be very difficult to play Gabriel for long stretches at the 3. Jackson is the better fit because as long as his shooting carries up to this level you can pretty much utilize him the same way as Giffey on offense(defense might be another story, he looks slowfooted). If they miss on him then I would be upset because wing depth and perimeter shooting are both in need for 2016 and beyond.

Reaction Score
We will see what happens if he doesn't start then gets recruited over next year.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Gross

Also agreed that for a Kentucky recruit he is a project. Higher ceiling than a guy like Lyles, but much more raw.

Reaction Score
Look great news for this kid. Hope he can live up to the hype and expectations of going to Kentucky. But I not there will be someone else next year that will be a 5 star battling for his position.

Reaction Score
He will be a Marcus Lee type. Great talent but not cut out for the one and done fashion.

Reaction Score
So much for academics, his mom must be happy. Good luck to the young man.

Reaction Score
Ajou Deng 2.0

I honestly don't care.

Would've taken Gabriel in a heartbeat, but your comp is perfect. I think I made the same one on page 1-9 in this thread.

Reaction Score
One more thing: he picks UK and all of a sudden his skill level drops and he's a second round pick? Give me a break. Leave the amateur scouting to the posters who actually know how to separate their biases from their analysis.

This discussion had been ongoing, mainly in relation to him wanting to be a 3.

I don't necessarily think Gabriel made a bad pick; he is not going to be any more of a project than Sacha Killeya-Jones and I'm sure there will be minutes for him right away as a 4. UK is possibly his best choice. I don't think we were a great fit with our guys who already committed and Duke was a bad fit if he wanted to play early and they land Giles as expected. Maryland probably was his best fit roster wise but I wouldn't trust my development to Turgeon. Maybe PC to have tons of PT to develop and eventually become the man on the team? I just don't get the desire to be recruited as a 3 when the NBA is shifting the opposite way, with a guy like Paul George slated to play the 4 this year. He should try to bulk up and lock down his outside set shot and then prepare himself for a long career as a stretch 4.

Reaction Score
So much for academics, his mom must be happy. Good luck to the young man.

The University of Kentucky: Because sometimes you can't quite hack it at a community college.

Can we kill this line of argument?

3p1a36.jpg

Reaction Score
The notion that a high level college basketball recruit picking Kentucky over UConn indicates that he doesn't care about academics is just laugh out loud ridiculous. By all means, though, keep it going.

With your approval, I shall. The University of Kentucky: Because someone has to pump our gas in the future.

Reaction Score
With your approval, I shall. The University of Kentucky: Because someone has to pump our gas in the future.

I hear Harry Giles was really underwhelmed by the history department at Wake Forest and might be leaning toward Duke now, said no one ever.

Reaction Score
I look at it another way. This is not a Kentucky versus UConn issue. The majority of the players Kentucky gets would get into the NBA as one and dones with most good programs. I believe it's naive to think these kids don't know that. If my assumption is correct than the question that should be asked is why would these kids want to attend a program in which you have to sit for major parts of games when you can display your skills in major minutes at another program?

If we're operating under the assumption that the platoon system is the norm at Kentucky, then I agree with you. But the platoon is not the norm. Every other year at Kentucky, Calipari has played his best players 30+ minutes per game.

If Gabriel isn't a starter at UK his freshman year, that doesn't make it a bad decision.+ If he even comes close to reaching his potential then he'll be a starter at Kentucky at some point during his career and then he'll get paid. If it takes a kid 2-3 years to get there, that doesn't mean it's stupid to pick Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom