SF Chuba Ohams (Fordham Commit) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SF Chuba Ohams (Fordham Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I'm hearing BC as a probability, he's been impressed with the roster they have shaping up lately

Reaction Score
What an embarrassment for Rutgers. They were heavily in on him and were considered the favorite. How you can be in the Big Ten and losing recruits to Fordham is beyond me.
Personally, I think it's because 95% of players couldn't care less what conference they play in, or what teams they play. They want to get to the league, and they want a good relationship with the coach. They would go to a community college if they thought they could achieve those 2 things at the school.

Fans think a conference is very important, because fans are selfish, and it's more boring to watch games against teams in a poor conference vs. one of the better conferences.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think it's because 95% of players couldn't care less what conference they play in, or what teams they play. They want to get to the league, and they want a good relationship with the coach. They would go to a community college if they thought they could achieve those 2 things at the school.

Fans think a conference is very important, because fans are selfish, and it's more boring to watch games against teams in a poor conference vs. one of the better conferences.

I don't know about that. There are 92 players in ESPN's top 100 for 2016. 76 of them are going to P5 schools. The rest are going to the AAC (mostly us, but Memphis and USF each got one), the Big East, the A-10 (VCU only), 3 to Harvard, and 1 to UNLV. The vast majority of top recruits go to top conferences.

Reaction Score
I don't know about that. There are 92 players in ESPN's top 100 for 2016. 76 of them are going to P5 schools. The rest are going to the AAC (mostly us, but Memphis and USF each got one), the Big East, the A-10 (VCU only), 3 to Harvard, and 1 to UNLV. The vast majority of top recruits go to top conferences.
Yes, but which P5 schools are they going to? I don't think you will find many of them going to bottom tier programs in those conferences, and it seems like if conference was that important, even the crap P5 teams would get a bunch of great recruits. I think they are signed at schools that are generally successful at basketball, and they have chosen the school based upon that school's history, not what conference the school is in.

Reaction Score
Yes, but which P5 schools are they going to? I don't think you will find many of them going to bottom tier programs in those conferences, and it seems like if conference was that important, even the crap P5 teams would get a bunch of great recruits. I think they are signed at schools that are generally successful at basketball, and they have chosen the school based upon that school's history, not what conference the school is in.

Yeah, the best programs get the bulk of them, but there are top-100 guys going to Mississippi State, Auburn, Arizona State, Penn State, South Carolina, USC, Alabama, Miami, and Florida State. Some of those programs are on the relative upswing right now, but none of them has won anything of note in a long while. By comparison, only the very best G5 schools - UConn, Gonzaga - and a couple of Big East programs are getting top-100 guys.

Reaction Score
as a Fordham alumn this is nice to see
A friend of mine is best buddies with Tom Pecora, it seems he's brought in some solid recruits in recent years but it certainly hasn't translated on the court. Hopefully they can get something going.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the best programs get the bulk of them, but there are top-100 guys going to Mississippi State, Auburn, Arizona State, Penn State, South Carolina, USC, Alabama, Miami, and Florida State. Some of those programs are on the relative upswing right now, but none of them has won anything of note in a long while. By comparison, only the very best G5 schools - UConn, Gonzaga - and a couple of Big East programs are getting top-100 guys.
But that's kind of my point. Recruits didn't just suddenly realize those schools are in good conferences. Ben Howland showed up, Bruce Pearl showed up, Avery Johnson showed up, etc. It's about the coaches. Good recruits had no interest in those teams when they had uninspiring coaches, despite the fact they were in the SEC.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What an embarrassment for Rutgers. They were heavily in on him and were considered the favorite. How you can be in the Big Ten and losing recruits to Fordham is beyond me.
How bad did they want him? If he was their n.1 target, then this says a lot about the state of their program.

Reaction Score
There are 92 players in ESPN's top 100 for 2016.

I seriously looked at this for waaaaaay too long before realizing you must've meant 92 committed players. :confused:

Long day for me today I guess.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine is best buddies with Tom Pecora, it seems he's brought in some solid recruits in recent years but it certainly hasn't translated on the court. Hopefully they can get something going.

I personally think they need to put the basketball program in the MAAC, just can't see them ever competing in the A10.

Reaction Score
But that's kind of my point. Recruits didn't just suddenly realize those schools are in good conferences. Ben Howland showed up, Bruce Pearl showed up, Avery Johnson showed up, etc. It's about the coaches. Good recruits had no interest in those teams when they had uninspiring coaches, despite the fact they were in the SEC.

But if it's as simple as "hire a new coach" for a P5 school, and you suddenly can get good recruits, then what the hell is wrong with Rutgers?

Reaction Score
But if it's as simple as "hire a new coach" for a P5 school, and you suddenly can get good recruits, then what the hell is wrong with Rutgers?
I don't think it's as simple as hiring a new coach. The schools you mentioned didn't just hire "new" coaches, they hired coaches who had been very successful in prior coaching stints, and who have proven they have a real ability to connect with kids. There are always going to be enough openings that coaches at that level are never going to Rutgers.

But to answer your question, I have no idea what the hell is wrong with Rutgers. My guess is everything.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
He probably committed early to get Rutgers to stop calling him. One of the boosters kept offering him dollar off coupons from McDonalds, and the other one said he could get him a BJ behind the train station in Newark.

Reaction Score
Pecora was fired last spring.

Reaction Score
I think it's a mistake to be thinking in the high/low brow culture mode here in regards to Fordham U. They have always had very good sport teams. Yes, they operate outside the money conferences. However, they have a lot of local kids who do not want to leave the metropolitan area, but who want to play bb at a high level. Fordham U is also a decent (small private) Univ. that may suit these kids well. As for Rutgers, we should not undermine the possibility that it seen as stuck in some corner of NJ, not far enough to give that feeling of going away to college, and not close enough to come home for lunch. Also, the image of Conn might be a lot more positive than that of NJ in the head of NYers(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom