Seven will get you nine. | The Boneyard

Seven will get you nine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Now when our small band of gallant survivors goes out to battle superior (numerical) forces, we can perhaps refer to them as the "Magnificent Seven". We could have called them the "Seven Samurai", except...well, never mind. And I fully expect that they will do to the opposition what these other outnumbered bands of heroes did to the bad guys. Greater will be the glory!

Reaction Score
I fully get that Tierney and Polly are not going to be major in game contributors but I am really over boneyarders referring to this team as only having 7 players. I've ignored it to this point but I just think about what those girls would think if they came on here and saw a thread like this. They may be walk on's but they are putting in the effort everyday, just like everyone else and are just as part of the team as any of the scholarship athletes. I actually revere them a bit more in their confidence to even try out for a team as prolific as UConn.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
With all due respect, Dawson is right. There are nine healthy players on the roster, nine players dressed in the UConn uniforms and nine players ready to play Friday night. I realize no one in the BY means any disrespect, but please, can we call all nine "survivors" or "samurai".....as president of the TLaw Fan Club, I am grateful. Go Huskies...!!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I am full of respect for T and Polly, for all the reasons cited, and I am very glad that they are part of the team. HOWEVER (and I am sure that they fully realize this), with all due respect to them, and to David and Dawson, bar excessive fouls or another injury, they will not be on the floor until the game has been decided.

Reaction Score
I prefer magnificent to Samurai because the theme song is better.

Reaction Score
I am full of respect for T and Polly, for all the reasons cited, and I am very glad that they are part of the team. HOWEVER (and I am sure that they fully realize this), with all due respect to them, and to David and Dawson, bar excessive fouls or another injury, they will not be on the floor until the game has been decided.

Neither was Heather and many others before her.
What you are anticipating has nothing to do with the principle here.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
seven7.jpg

Oh, wait, you said seven will get you nine. Sorry. (Cam will get this - who else?)

Reaction Score
Now when our small band of gallant survivors goes out to battle superior (numerical) forces, we can perhaps refer to them as the "Magnificent Seven". We could have called them the "Seven Samurai", except...well, never mind. And I fully expect that they will do to the opposition what these other outnumbered bands of heroes did to the bad guys. Greater will be the glory!
Once T and Polly get more experience and the injuries heal, it will be 7 come 11 in March.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
“It’s tough,’’ Mosqueda-Lewis said. “We only have seven players now with me and Morgan out. But it’s still seven strong. It’s people that have been preparing to be in this moment. Bri, Saniya and Kiah are three players that I feel like can step up and help the team tremendously while me and Morgan are out.’’

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's heartwarming to see the attitude about including the walk ons as part of what the team looks like going forward for now, but likely to be a semantic difference. Undoubtedly these kids are very important to game preparation. Maybe Geno will surprise us by using them in other than garbage time, but if he does that absent foul problems, I think we will all be surprised. If this team is effectively deeper than 7 right now, the walk ons are better than the typical walk on and might earn scholarship offers. That would make everybody happy.
The thing is, those two are guards and that really isn't where the team is hurting right now.

Reaction Score
By all accounts, Morgan and Kaleena will be playing again before it is time to make the championship run in the tournament. It a bit premature to come up with a fancy name for the team at that time...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
“It’s tough,’’ Mosqueda-Lewis said. “We only have seven players now with me and Morgan out. But it’s still seven strong. It’s people that have been preparing to be in this moment. Bri, Saniya and Kiah are three players that I feel like can step up and help the team tremendously while me and Morgan are out.’’
I don't really like the players drawing that type of line within the team. Polly and TLaw are either full members of the team or not even if they are unlikely to be thrown into the storm on the court. In fact, Polly is a scholarship player since her track scholarship is now charged against the basketball scholarship limit. You are a team member and a player or you are not. If you want to qualify the 7 or original 9 as experienced players fine but Chong is really minimally more experienced than Polly and TLaw.

We don't need chemistry problems because Polly and TLaw are treated and thought of differently.

Reaction Score
Now when our small band of gallant survivors goes out to battle superior (numerical) forces, we can perhaps refer to them as the "Magnificent Seven". We could have called them the "Seven Samurai", except...well, never mind. And I fully expect that they will do to the opposition what these other outnumbered bands of heroes did to the bad guys. Greater will be the glory! [/quote]

Can women hold their manhoods cheap?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I don't really like the players drawing that type of line within the team. Polly and TLaw are either full members of the team or not even if they are unlikely to be thrown into the storm on the court. In fact, Polly is a scholarship player since her track scholarship is now charged against the basketball scholarship limit. You are a team member and a player or you are not. If you want to qualify the 7 or original 9 as experienced players fine but Chong is really minimally more experienced than Polly and TLaw.

We don't need chemistry problems because Polly and TLaw are treated and thought of differently.

Actually, I, too, think it would be nice if KML and others used 9 instead of 7 in their public comments re: the squad. But young people are often a lot more direct in their speech. She knows that right now, there are 7 people that Geno will call upon while the game is being decided.

Maybe in time the walk-ons will be better integrated into the team's collective espirit de corps so that players will start including them in the team "count" for these types of comments. That would be a good thing.

Reaction Score
... when our small band of gallant survivors goes out to battle superior (numerical) forces, we can refer to them as the "Magnificent Seven."

They'll be magnificent as long as they don't play basketball at sixes and sevens.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well, besides, seven is well-known to be THE most mystically powerful number in the whole set. Think of the
Seven Deadly Sins, the Seven Wonders of the World, the Seven Swarves, the Seven Sisters of Serendipity, the Pleiades, the Seven Seals of Revelation, the Seven Keys to Baldpate, the Seven Hills of Rome, the Seven Heavens, the Seven Seas, the Seven Against Thebes. At Jericho, seven priests carrying seven rams' horns marched around the city seven times on the seventh day before blowing the horns seven times to bring down the walls. I could go on and on, but will refrain. Wonkster or the PBear probably will. Nine just does not have the power of seven. I rest my case.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, Dawson is right. There are nine healthy players on the roster, nine players dressed in the UConn uniforms and nine players ready to play Friday night. I realize no one in the BY means any disrespect, but please, can we call all nine "survivors" or "samurai".....as president of the TLaw Fan Club, I am grateful. Go Huskies...!!

Why is that so? Should we not give up the mentality that a walk-on is someone who is far from being ready to play if it's still a game. Both of these players played in HS. We know that one of the two decided to pursue another sport that she was good at. Also, we have an incoming guard who wavered about being an olympian in another sport. What is good about UCONN is the emphasis on position- playing a position or executing. Now, he often avoids using some recruits in games that are blow outs- so we will see.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Why is that so? Should we not give up the mentality that a walk-on is someone who is far from being ready to play if it's still a game. Both of these players played in HS. We know that one of the two decided to pursue another sport that she was good at. Also, we have an incoming guard who wavered about being an olympian in another sport. What is good about UCONN is the emphasis on position- playing a position or executing. Now, he often avoids using some recruits in games that are blow outs- so we will see.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what your point is....I'm not sure how to respond.

Reaction Score
Remember "Hoosiers", the movie. When the team needed it the most, that little short made the two foul shots that won the game for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom