Seth Greenburg's at Practice Today | The Boneyard

Seth Greenburg's at Practice Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@SethOnHoops: You need ten toes in when you attend a @UConnMBB @CoachKO_UConn practice.

Reaction Score
That's it. That is Seth's total impression and story. A tweet that could have been sent last year?

Reaction Score
@SethOnHoops: @Lumpy231 Amida Brimah in time will be a difference maker. 2 most abused words in basketball great and expert.

Reaction Score
A bit concerned about new rules. I know they'll favor athleticism, but I think zone defenses will also benefit. Man-to-man is going to be more dangerous. Sometimes you tweak the game and get bad results (like the NFL) that are unforeseen. Instead of more scoring, you could end up with less scoring, and boring zone defense ball.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm very concerned about them - you're going to end up with a lot of zones and a ass-ton of free throws.

I think the URI-Southern Conn game last night creeped on 55 total fouls.

Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg@SethOnHoops
Huge emphasis on Loading to the ball and outnumbering the ball as well as communicating & physical block outs Excellent teaching points.[/quote]

Can anyone explain what 'loading to the ball' and 'outnumbering the ball' means? I am not familiar with those terms.

Reaction Score
UConn's never really relied on hand-checking too much. Louisville under Pitino has been great beneficiaries of the lax hand-checking rules in college until now. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

Reaction Score
So I've been trying to figure out what 'outnumbering the basketball' means so I did a google search and all the results are of Seth Greenburg using the term. No one else uses the term at all, so maybe it's just something he made up?

Reaction Score
UConn's never really relied on hand-checking too much. Louisville under Pitino has been great beneficiaries of the lax hand-checking rules in college until now. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

Louisville? more like those scumbags from Duke. coach K brought hand checking to a new degree.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I've been trying to figure out what 'outnumbering the basketball' means so I did a google search and all the results are of Seth Greenburg using the term. No one else uses the term at all, so maybe it's just something he made up?
I'm not sure. My best guess is that he's talking about overloading one side of the zone and then attacking on the weak side. In our case I could see that be set up for Bazz, Boat, Daniels or Calhoun. Given our personnel this is a good approach because I like our chance one on one with any of those guys. I like them even better with the new hand checking rules.

Reaction Score
Louisville? more like those scumbags from Duke. coach K brought hand checking to a new degree.
no Louisville is even worse because not only do they handcheck in the halfcourt but they use their hands in the press, its not easy beating a press with multiple defenders putting their hands on you. Jay Bilas lost his mind during the BET final, and rightfully so, when MCW got called for a tech when he elbowed Luke Hancock in his grill for trying to clear space after Hancock literally had 2 hands on both sides of MCW's upper body to limit his movement. You should not be allowed to play D like that on any level yet that is how Pitino's Louisville teams have played for awhile.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Seems to me that there's only one ball, so outnumbering the ball must mean double (or more) teaming the man with the ball, and moving the double team when he gives up possession. If he means anything else by it, only Seth would know.

Reaction Score
Is the game at 6:30 or 8:00? I thought it was 6:30, but the Courant has it listed at 8:00, and so did this video clip.

Reaction Score
Add Pitt to that list. They perfected having their hands all over their opponent, especially off the ball so that players couldn't get to their spots. Of course they do the same to the handler 20 feet out or more.

KO gets his players to defend with their feet. Though I wonder if we'll be penalized for our aggressive play. I hope not.

Reaction Score
I'm very concerned about them - you're going to end up with a lot of zones and a ass-ton of free throws.

I think it'll be tough to watch at first, but ideally there'll be a gradual adjustment to the whistle over the course of the season. Of course, this assumes a uniform level of competence by the officials that I don't think exists in college, so who knows how it'll play out.

Reaction Score
Is the game at 6:30 or 8:00? I thought it was 6:30, but the Courant has it listed at 8:00, and so did this video clip.

Basketball at 6:30, UConn-Louisville football at 8.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Seems to me that there's only one ball, so outnumbering the ball must mean double (or more) teaming the man with the ball, and moving the double team when he gives up possession. If he means anything else by it, only Seth would know.

At the invited practice, as the opponent brought the ball over halfcourt, the UConn defender and often a UConn big would move to double the man with the ball for a count or two. This seemed to be an attempt to stop all forward momentum the opponent PG had and to slow the other team from penetrating or getting into their offense.

Reaction Score

Until I read your post , I did not think about the benefits of a zone. This would place a premium on 3 point shooters.

Reaction Score

teams will probably have a tough time executing zone consistently unless they have NBA length though. I think the rule benefits the top teams in CBB on both offense and defense. We will see though. I think we can all agree that it is more likely to benefit UConn than not. How much it will benefit them is yet to be seen and what it will do to the overall product of CBB is certainly up in the air. I agree that free throws, foul trouble, and slower games will definitely happen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Add Pitt to that list. They perfected having their hands all over their opponent, especially off the ball so that players couldn't get to their spots. Of course they do the same to the handler 20 feet out or more.

True. Another thing that Pitt did (and normally got away with) was have their players in a stance that was almost like a football lineman's split, so when they moved laterally while someone was trying to penetrate in halfcourt the Pitt defender's leg would get in the way. It drove me nuts that BE officials always let them get away with that. I have a hunch that the ACC won't be quite so accommodating to their style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom