Seth Davis's UConn write up | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seth Davis's UConn write up

Reaction Score
In fairness, his top 25s are clearly somewhere between legit exercise and professional trolling to a) stand out from the crowd, and b) drive engagement because of controversy. These reactions are exactly what Davis is going for.
In which case BL is still right, because he's falling for Davis' trap.

Reaction Score
This isn't hard. Rankings matter, because being ranked brings publicity. This isn't your grandma's pre-NIL days. Being top 25 crushes being outside of the top 25. That little (#) accompanies all mentions of the team, be it on tv or a website. Being top 10 beats just being in the top 25. Witness Nebraska beating Creighton and how that has been talked about as a transformative win for Hoiberg. If Creighton was unranked, does one think that that conversation would happen? As far as top 5 versus top 10, that matters, but to a lessening degree. What it does allow for is the climb up over those ranked above. The pathway is easier to climb above 4 when you are ranked 5th, rather than being ranked 10th. That's just common sense. Also, it is that much closer to number 1. And every team wants to be ranked #1. You are the opposing team's superbowl, you are talked about as THE top team in the country, repeatedly. You get more publicity. And I can't wait until UConn is ranked #1, hopefully by January 1st.

Reaction Score
Rankings matter for national exposure and recruiting.
I don't pay much attention to the correlation between rankings and recruiting. Is the class we signed for next season a fluke? The reason I ask is because I don't recall being highly ranked last season. I thought that The Brand may have something to do with it as well.

Reaction Score
I don't pay much attention to the correlation between rankings and recruiting. Is the class we signed for next season a fluke? The reason I ask is because I don't recall being highly ranked last season. I thought that The Brand may have something to do with it as well.
Huh?? My argument is having a "5" next to your name and being in the national spotlight will help with recruiting. I never said DH and staff aren't great recruiters, just made the argument that being a Top 5 team in the country matters to future recruits

Reaction Score
Huh?? My argument is having a "5" next to your name and being in the national spotlight will help with recruiting. I never said DH and staff aren't great recruiters, just made the argument that being a Top 5 team in the country matters to future recruits
Then why didn't you expound on that as opposed to a 7 word reply that was open to interpretation. You know, the one I initially responded to.

Reaction Score
Then why didn't you expound on that as opposed to a 7 word reply that was open to interpretation. You know, the one I initially responded to.
Because I figured most logical people would get that but its clear you need more of an explanation.

Reaction Score
Fine differences in the rankings are truly meaningless this early in the season. Can I see being upset if someone has us at 15? Sure, if you want to follow the rankings of individuals. But the difference between 7 and 5 at this point in the season is so unbelievably fine that I truly don't understand how someone can be outraged or upset because someone disagrees with you by 2 spots. That is giving the rankings far, far, far more respect than they deserve. Not Seth Davis's rankings -- anyones. Not everyone is going to have or has to have the exactly same opinion.
The issue is the lack of respect by Davis. It's one thing if he was only doing this for attention (which he is) but his vote also counts. He makes a mockery of the poll because he wants the attention and troll fan bases for engagement. That's what the problem is.

Reaction Score
Nowhere did he say that you have to be highly ranked to get top recruits, just that it helps. Bizarre comment.

Reaction Score
In fairness, his top 25s are clearly somewhere between legit exercise and professional trolling to a) stand out from the crowd, and b) drive engagement because of controversy. These reactions are exactly what Davis is going for.
You know what "they" say about the interwebnet? Good for 2 things, clickbait and mastur...

you get the idea

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You know what "they" say about the interwebnet? Good for 2 things, clickbait and mastur...

you get the idea
Experts spell it with an "e."

Reaction Score
Getting upset about our being in the top 5 or not at this point is dumb this early in the year. Did I miss something? Did we beat a top 10 team yet? We lose a game and it will be 3 weeks to work our way back to #8. Husky fans are irrationally exuberant at this point. Don’t get me wrong, I love this team and the potential is through the roof but let’s see some wins on the road in conference and at Florida.

Reaction Score
Getting upset about our being in the top 5 or not at this point is dumb this early in the year. Did I miss something? Did we beat a top 10 team yet? We lose a game and it will be 3 weeks to work our way back to #8. Husky fans are irrationally exuberant at this point. Don’t get me wrong, I love this team and the potential is through the roof but let’s see some wins on the road in conference and at Florida.

Yes we beat Alabama who is now top 10

Reaction Score
Alabama is #8 so we kinda did beat a top 10 team

Reaction Score
Could've fooled me
No, I am as psyched as anyone here about the roster and the way the new players have performed, I could go on but it’s been said here a thousand times. It’s just that I would not be shocked be beaten by some teams not supposed to beat us. It can come down to getting the bad end of refs calls on the road. The polls are just not reliable now and many times by tourney time are wrong in judging teams’ quality, seeding, you name it.

Reaction Score
I often wonder what some of our poster’s lives are like when they can find fault on a daily basis about being undefeated and ranked #5. This has been such an enjoyable season so far.
Oh and why you can’t wear white after Labor Day

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Sure but put aside the fact that we did it and ask yourself: did we do it? Sort of concerning, no?
It's simple. They weren't when we did so we didn't. If they had been when we did then we would have. Concerning either way when you think about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom