Seth Davis Final Four Hoop Thoughts | The Boneyard

Seth Davis Final Four Hoop Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Florida vs. Connecticut

1. How will the Gators handle UConn's defense?

I know what you're thinking: I've got this backward. Florida is the team with the awesome defense, right? Well, yes and no. The Gators were arguably the best defensive team in the country this season, but in the NCAA tournament, the Huskies are getting after it as well as anybody -- or else they wouldn't be here. Exhibit A is junior guard Ryan Boatright, who has had seven steals in his last three games, the same number he had in his previous nine. That includes four thefts in the East Regional final against Michigan State. If Boatright and Napier can do as good a job keeping Scottie Wilbekin and Michael Frazier in front of them as they did the Spartans' guards, then Connecticut will have a legitimate chance to win.

As for the frontcourt, the Huskies might not be very big, but they are tall. Their starting front line goes 6-foot-7, 6-9 and 6-10, and they bring 7-foot Amida Brimah and 6-10 Tyler Olander off the bench. The Gators, meanwhile, will counter with 6-9 Patric Young, 6-8 Will Yeguete and 6-8 Dorian Finney-Smith. Florida's big men are used to overpowering their opponents, but this may be one case where they will have to do some scoring away from the basket, where they are not quite as comfortable.​

2. Will UConn keep cashing in its free throws?
Foul shooting has been Connecticut's calling card all season -- its 76.5 percent clip led the American Athletic Conference and ranked seventh nationally -- but even by those standards the Huskies have been otherworldly during the NCAA tournament. In their four games they have made 81 of 92 free throw attempts, with Napier leading the way (naturally) by sinking 25 of 27 (92.6 percent). During their two games at Madison Square Garden, the Huskies made 41 out of their 44 attempts. That is almost inhuman.

It's hard to imagine any team maintaining that pace, but if UConn is able to repeat that performance, both in terms of frequency and percentage, then it will be able to hang with Florida until the very end. (By the way, the Gators have made 74 percent from the line during the tournament, which is normally a solid number but in this game looks just okay.) Most of the close games in this tournament have been decided (or undecided) at the free throw line. If that is the case on Saturday, the advantage will go to the Huskies.​

3. Will UConn's luck run out?
During its opening game against Saint Joseph's, Connecticut trailed by three points with under a minute to play. Brimah erased the deficit with a three-point play off an offensive putback, the Hawks' best big man fouled out early in overtime, and UConn survived. After getting past Villanova in the third round, the Huskies played an Iowa State team that was missing arguably its most valuable player in sophomore forward Georges Niang. In the regional final, they faced a Michigan State team that inexplicably wasted its size and strength advantage by attempting 29 of its 46 shots from behind the three-point line.

Just like Kentucky, the Huskies took advantage of all these opportunities, but make no mistake, they are playing at a level considerably above where they played during the regular season. You don't get to a Final Four purely on luck, but it helps. This is still the team that went 12-6 in AAC play and suffered a 33-point defeat at Louisville less than a month ago. UConn caught a wave and rode it to North Texas. On Saturday night it will be playing the best team in the country, and it will need some luck to earn another game Monday night.​

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-c...orida-uconn-kentucky-wisconsin/#ixzz2xqVKgggh

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Luck? UConn don't need no damn luck

Reaction Score
What was lucky about the MSU game? MSU was beaten fair and square. It's not like we shot lights out. MSU was outwitted, outplayed and outlasted.

Yeah, I think it was a pretty good summary, but this narrative that MSU beat themselves is getting old.

they faced a Michigan State team that inexplicably wasted its size and strength advantage by attempting 29 of its 46 shots from behind the three-point line.

Anytime their bigs touched the ball in the paint it was like a swarm....and those opportunities to get the ball into the paint were rare and often not in good position to score. They couldnt handle our quickness. I re-watched the game, and Uconn was the better team. We controlled the tempo, and dictated how Mich St was going to play. They couldnt adjust.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've heard people saying that over and over again, that there was no reason for MSU to shoot so many threes and they did it for no particular reason.

caw

Reaction Score
Honestly the biggest story to me from the MSU game was the limited number of second chance points they got. Yes the post defense was great but most of the year UConn was hurt on the boards an second chance points. UF also doesn't have a great post up player but they do hit the OR really well. UConn needs to grab the defensive boards.

Reaction Score
In the regional final, they faced a Michigan State team that inexplicably wasted its size and strength advantage by attempting 29 of its 46 shots from behind the three-point line.

This quote suggests that MSU was shooting all alone in a gym by themselves, and our defense had nothing to do with it.

Did MSU play well? No. Did we have something to do with that? Absolutely.

Reaction Score
While this is not a horrible analysis, he failed to give us much credit for the MSU game. We took out America's favorite team because we forced them to shoot 3s, not because they want to. We packed the middle and forced their players to make 3s. UCONN simply played amazing defense during this run.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
He writes as though we didn't know going into the game exactly what MSU's strengths were and then try to counter it. There's nothing inexplicable about the defense we played.

Reaction Score
Giffey is going ZERO for 5 on open 3s anytime soon. Then again, maybe UConn is...

DOOOOOMED

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another thing, their bigs had to come out to help get our guards out of their guards jockstraps. They weren't getting into any offense without that help.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The same analysts that are wondering why Payne attempted so many 3s against us were raving about how much his 3 point offense adds to MSU in the previous game. It was supposed to draw Brimah away from the basket and negate his shot blocking ability.
Phil on the other hand...

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Talking heads gotta talk. 6 losses in the AAC - 3 to one team and 2 to another. If we were facing LV or SMU I'd be more worried!

Funny before each of the last 4 games we were going to lose for these same reasons Seth gives us no credit for winning games against ranked opponents, and it's not like anyone else is blowing out foes along the way, Lots of squeakers getting into the Final 4.

Reaction Score
boy do they look down on the Nova win. Glossed right over that didn't they. I know Nova was "only" the top#2 seed on the s curve. Had they beaten the Hall in the little east Tourney they probably would have been a 1 seed.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've heard people saying that over and over again, that there was no reason for MSU to shoot so many threes and they did it for no particular reason.

I enjoyed in the post game wrap up, Barkley gave us those props, everyone was talking about all of States bad turnovers and lack of inside play, and Charles said something along the lines of "well if the defense doesn't allow you to get into your game, yeah, it becomes tough". He felt the other guys weren't giving us enough credit for causing them to look so awful

Reaction Score
The only two who I've heard give UConn proper credit for the MSU win (aside from possibly Jay Williams) are Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith. Everyone else is asking why MSU didn't play it's game...as if they changed their approach voluntarily. What was wrong with THEM...or was it sainted Coach Izzo's fault??? Smith and Barkley gave UConn's D the credit for the win. Sir Charles even went so far as to say that it was the best D he has seen played by two guards in a long, long time! But I guess if you're one of these other pundits, you can't possibly give the credit to the OTHER team, then it would look like you made a foolish choice. So it just had to be that your pick played a terrible game...and how could anyone have foreseen that coming?!?

Reaction Score
Not only have we played D outrageously well so far this tourney we've done it against a number of different looks. Trying to 3 point barrage us into submission? Go have a seat on the couch next to Nova. Got an all league guard who wants to drive and kick? Here's a ticket for the excuse train, it just left the Iowa St. station. Got versatile big men and want to play inside out with us? Pull up a chair at the "we beat ourselves!" bar and drown your sorrows alongside Izzo and Martelli (leave the crying kid outside Phil, no one wants that in a bar). So far I've seen laser focus, huskies flying to the ball, defense that would make Aaron Craft and his brainless supporters blush and rebounding like you read about. This gator team is dangerous because they're good as a team, well coached and they don't beat themselves. At this point, we're the exact same thing with one major difference - we've got Bazz, and his supporting cast isn't anything to scoff at.

Long story short - doooooooooooooooooooomed.

Reaction Score
It's simply amazing to me that the only person who seems to understand that UConn got MSU out of their game is Charles Barkley. The Huskies forced State out of their offense by pressuring the ball handlers, shutting down the passing lanes and swarming the post when the ball actually made it there. State shot the three because they had nothing else, they just happened to make enough of them to make people think it would continue.

Reaction Score
What I can appreciate about Barkley is at least he admitted when he was wrong about us. All these other pundits keep coming up with excuses for why our opponents lose. How many times can all these writers be wrong before we can stop taking them seriously.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Sir Charles even went so far as to say that it was the best D he has seen played by two guards in a long, long time!

And that was AFTER he said at the half that MSU was the much better team and would blow us out in the 2nd half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom