Senior Night - Tuck is involved | The Boneyard

Senior Night - Tuck is involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
does it mean she's not coming back for another year?

ARTICLE

is this hurting recruiting or not really?

(didnt see this posted anywhere or Im just blind)

JS

Reaction Score
is this hurting recruiting or not really?
Not really. Only the class of 2016, already recruited, would care whether Tuck is there to lead the team, even if one assumes they would consider that as a minus (I hope not).

If she's genuinely undecided, as the article indicates, she should by all means participate with her academic/recruiting class while she can.

Reaction Score
I am assuming she also picks up her undergraduate degree this year. So it is a good thing to go through the senior day honors with her classmates. Her academic classification next year will be graduate student. For basketball, she will be a RS senior. Am I missing something?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She's a coy one, that Morgan. Now she'll have the opportunity to garner another UConn record. Only player to be honored at two Senior Nights. :cool: :rolleyes:

Madison Cable is in the second year of that situation. She attended the Senior Ceremonies last year for Notre Dame and will do so as a grad student this year. Interestingly, she probably came back for this year because Jewell Loyd chose to go professional after her junior year. In her case, coming back was a win-win from both an individual and collective basis.

BTW, the other ND seniors are Hannah Huffman and Michaela Mabrey (or Mabrey1).

Reaction Score
What it means is that if she decides to come back, she will be watching next year's Senior Night with the underclassmen.

Reaction Score
I think it's a good move for Morgan. It keeps her options open. I thought she would 100% stick around for a 5th year, but now I'm 50%-50%. Good luck to her!
Agree. it does keep her options open. And I think I know the primary reason that this option is important to her.

Much as been said recently about Morgan going to the WNBA as the W is supposedly one of her dreams. What has been lost in the conversation, at least recently, is that Morgan has previously stated in no uncertain terms that she wants to be on "The Wall" when she leaves UConn. As we all know, 3 All-Americans from the same team in the same year is a rarity. I think her probability of getting the AA distinction is going to be better next year than this year.

We'll see. I wish her THE BEST though, regardless of how it turns out for us, the fans.

Reaction Score
I always thought she would do her Senior Day with the teammates she came in with. If she stays, they can find some other honor for her on that day. Of course Polly starts!

HGN

Reaction Score
I am glad to see Morgan will participate in Senior Night with her incoming class of Stewie and Moriah.......... After all , she is a 4 yr senior , on schedule to graduate , and has fulfilled all requirements. Participating on Senior Night will not prevent her from returning next year. I would love for her to stay another year and get her Graduate Degree while on scholarship. Helps her in the long run in particular.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I am glad to see Morgan will participate in Senior Night with her incoming class of Stewie and Moriah..... After all , she is a 4 yr senior , on schedule to graduate , and has fulfilled all requirements. Participating on Senior Night will not prevent her from returning next year. I would love for her to stay another year and get her Graduate Degree while on scholarship. Helps her in the long run in particular.

There must be some NCAA rule that says once you accept Senior Night flowers, you are considered a pro and have used up your eligibility. :rolleyes:

She should keep her options open, but in her place, I'd go pro if that's her dream. Her knees are way too iffy to risk another college year. Sentiment has to take a back seat, especially since she would not be leaving school early. As fans, we all wouldn't mind her in a UConn uniform next year, but if were advising her, I'd want to make sure that any decision to come back isn't based on emotion or loyalty.

Reaction Score
I think the real question for Senior Night will be "Will Polly get her first start?"
That would be absolutely awesome! Put her in at the 2. We need to further investigate the "spy" anyway to determine her real reason for wanting to play for UConn. :eek: :rolleyes:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Agree. it does keep her options open. And I think I know the primary reason that this option is important to her.

Much as been said recently about Morgan going to the WNBA as the W is supposedly one of her dreams. What has been lost in the conversation, at least recently, is that Morgan has previously stated in no uncertain terms that she wants to be on "The Wall" when she leaves UConn. As we all know, 3 All-Americans from the same team in the same year is a rarity. I think her probability of getting the AA distinction is going to be better next year than this year.

We'll see. I wish her THE BEST though, regardless of how it turns out for us, the fans.
Remember that the "1st team AA" designation is given to 10 players, despite its name. I can't imagine that Morgan wouldn't be considered by any knowledgeable observer to be one of the 10 best players in the country. So I think she will get on the wall this year, although maybe not in time for her to be in uniform when it happens.

But I'm not sure that would be a big factor pushing her to the WNBA.

If I were her, I would consider the alternative of playing a 5th year and then not playing professionally at all. Just because she dreamed about the WNBA when she was 14 doesn't mean that is her topmost priority now. It might benefit her to take advantage of her well-earned good name in the state of Connecticut to get a job with a local corporation, or on the staff of a Congressman or Senator from the state if that is in line with her long-term career goals. Almost any employer would be proud to have her as a representative, I would think.

Reaction Score
I'm sure she has a lot to consider. One has to prepare for the worst in life. If she plays anywhere and re-injures her knee what will the rest of her life be like? What if she thinks she can only endure one more year of pain and struggle? Should it be as a pro sitting on a bench for most of the time or at UCONN where she is a beloved star? These and other thoughts going through her mind as well as her chosen vocation is a lot for any young lady to handle. We should pray for her really.

Reaction Score
Remember that the "1st team AA" designation is given to 10 players, despite its name. I can't imagine that Morgan wouldn't be considered by any knowledgeable observer to be one of the 10 best players in the country. So I think she will get on the wall this year, although maybe not in time for her to be in uniform when it happens.

But I'm not sure that would be a big factor pushing her to the WNBA.

If I were her, I would consider the alternative of playing a 5th year and then not playing professionally at all. Just because she dreamed about the WNBA when she was 14 doesn't mean that is her topmost priority now. It might benefit her to take advantage of her well-earned good name in the state of Connecticut to get a job with a local corporation, or on the staff of a Congressman or Senator from the state if that is in line with her long-term career goals. Almost any employer would be proud to have her as a representative, I would think.
The problem isn't whether you can find better players than Tuck, but that you can find players with better stats. That to me will be the biggest thing preventing her from being among those 10.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the real question for Senior Night will be "Will Polly get her first start?"
Is she a senior? Is she on the team? If yes to those two questions, she would be the first senior not to start in her senior night game.
Stacey Marron and Jacquie Fernandes both got the start on their senior nights

Reaction Score

Of course she will start.. it's senior night and she is a senior.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
did Kalana Greene do the Senior ceremony and then come back for a 5th year, wondering... how about Doty? Just trying to get an idea of how often this happens

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
did Kalana Greene do the Senior ceremony and then come back for a 5th year, wondering... how about Doty? Just trying to get an idea of how often this happens
As I recall, both of them did not participate in the ceremony in the year prior to their actual departure. The difference is that both of them had already made a definite decision to play the 5th year.

So I hope we can interpret Morgan's participation as just a matter of keeping her options open, rather than an indication that she has decided to leave.

By the way, isn't this melodrama a whole lot better than what happened at Notre Dame with Jewell Loyd? We may not know what happened behind closed doors, but there is absolutely no public evidence to suggest that she and Muffitt ever had an honest discussion about her future before Jewell made the abrupt announcement that she was leaving. It's telling that Morgan feels comfortable having honest discussions with Geno about that subject, and I will bet that most UConn players would feel the same way if they were in her situation. It's just an example of the level of trust that Geno is able to develop, and the faith that his players have in his willingness to act and advise in their best interest, even when it may conflict with his desire to win yet another NC.

Maybe if Muffitt already had 10 trophies in her case, she could afford to take a detached attitude toward Jewell's career plans, but that is a hypothesis contrary to fact.

Reaction Score
Geno once said in reference to someone (perhaps Nicole Wolff?) : "you don't get 2 senior nights."

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As I recall, both of them did not participate in the ceremony in the year prior to their actual departure. The difference is that both of them had already made a definite decision to play the 5th year.

So I hope we can interpret Morgan's participation as just a matter of keeping her options open, rather than an indication that she has decided to leave.

By the way, isn't this melodrama a whole lot better than what happened at Notre Dame with Jewell Loyd? We may not know what happened behind closed doors, but there is absolutely no public evidence to suggest that she and Muffitt ever had an honest discussion about her future before Jewell made the abrupt announcement that she was leaving. It's telling that Morgan feels comfortable having honest discussions with Geno about that subject, and I will bet that most UConn players would feel the same way if they were in her situation. It's just an example of the level of trust that Geno is able to develop, and the faith that his players have in his willingness to act and advise in their best interest, even when it may conflict with his desire to win yet another NC.

Maybe if Muffitt already had 10 trophies in her case, she could afford to take a detached attitude toward Jewell's career plans, but that is a hypothesis contrary to fact.
Thanks for the refresher... minus the ND mumble jumble

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Geno once said in reference to someone (perhaps Nicole Wolff?) : "you don't get 2 senior nights."
He's much softer these days... but I like that he said that even tho I believe mMorgan wouldn't mind sitting down while next years senior (Chong) takes the walk.

Reaction Score
If it happens (I hope it does) I suspect they will find a way to honor her without calling it her Senior Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom