Semi OT: Cutting Cable's Cord and Still Watching UConn? Advice Needed | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Semi OT: Cutting Cable's Cord and Still Watching UConn? Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess UConn women's basketball might work on delay since there is no actual drama in who wins.

If you are ok watching a 83-45 game live, it's not like someone can spoil the ending.

Reaction Score
For a few years I streamed espn3 an hour after uconn men's and women's games. I was interested in paying for a live espn streaming package but espn and the cable companies have no desire to take away the only real reason left to pay cable companies big bucks and that is live sports.
It is not a question of not being willing to pay for entertainment, espn doesn't want to go to a netflix/hulu model at this time.
SNY had streaming rights for Uconn women's games under the old BE contract and sold a streaming package that worked on computers (not iPad or other TV streaming devices) but their new AAC contract only espn has the streaming rights.

I've had
  • free OTA CPTV...
  • paid streaming CPTV...
  • paid SNY...
  • 'included' ISP supplied ESPN3 (delayed)
Fortunately all have been available where I lived

I would gladly pay for a (reasonably priced) live streaming package. I will continue to opt out of subscribing to large/bundled cable packages as long as possible. Other than UConn Bball we get all the TV we care about via OTA or selective streaming packages.

Reaction Score
Montenegro?! That's where Gatsby got his medal in WWI ( . . . or so he said).

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
I consider U-Verse also to be cable, except it's fiber-optic cable.

Only FIOS is fiber to the house. ATT uses twisted pair (phone lines) to the house. They only use fiber to their nodes (those big tan things at the base of telephone poles) and depending on how far away from one of those you live will determine how good the service will be. The farther away the worse it gets. As far as I know, ATT uses Cat 5 throughout the house. But I could be wrong. My encounters with ATT U-Verse I've only seen Cat 5. I work for cable and I understand completely about paying for cable. I don't live in system so I am forced to pay for it myself.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members