Semi-OT: BC article in Globe | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Semi-OT: BC article in Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The last time I looked, maybe in the spring, the BC boards seem to have become ghost towns. The rivals board was deserted for some private board, which then was deserted for another private board. So BC fans who want to engage anyone about college sports are forced to come here and other places, like CSNBBS.
Actually, there are more sites for BC sports discussion, than Uconn sites for discussion. ( both private sites that are by invitation only, and public sites like Rivals, Scout, BC in Atlanta, Eagle Outsider, etc ). But its true, they seem to be dominated by the same small group of devoted regulars there now. I'll check in on them on occasion as well. I don't see a lot of BC posters on here as you are saying... no more than any other school, but maybe I'm catching this site now when its just me as a BC fan on here at present. I used to see quite a few Uconn fans on the Rivals, Scout sites. But they likewise too have become " ghost towns " for Uconn sports discussion. So it appears that this site has become the single defacto site for Uconn sports fans. I do like the Conference Realignment section here. Its my go to place for Conf. Realignment gossip, rumor, new info, news print on the subject, updates, and whatnot. I don't know of any other school that has a better Conference Realignment thread, and its discussion volume found there. I commend this site for that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it was a mere coincidence that I found a post about the Boston Globe, BC, Harvard, etc within 30 minutes of his posting the new thread. I don't park myself here I assure you. And have not posted on here in... well.. I don't recal the last timel. I suppose I might check in here once a,month now that you've become curious on this.. Usually I'll read for a few minutes of posts that might interest me, not post, then leave. I did not ask you how often you visit a BC Board, but nonetheless, thank you for sharing that info anyway.
Oh okay. Good to know the stalker vibe you kind of put out there by posting so quickly was just a fluke.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There are so many sports entertainment options in Boston both college and pro that it is tough for anyone, other than the Red Sox, to dominate the local scene. Boston (and media members like The Globe) fancies itself as a "Hub of New England" and offers coverage to all New England entities - including UCONN. Search through the archives of The Globe and you will find a fair amount of content about UCONN. This is why I always contest that UCONN would deliver a presence in Boston for any P5 conference, much like it would deliver a presence in NYC (in addition to being the only sport in town in our own DMA). It is the only former Big East school that could boast about being in the Top 5 followed football programs in both Boston and NYC. UCONN's untapped potential in the northeast is enormous. If you put UCONN in a P5 conference, my guess is that coverage of UCONN athletics in Boston would increase (as it would here and in NYC).

That said, what Yawkey says is not off-base. BC, as of today, is New England's top college football program. It has more history and tradition and plays a MUCH better schedule. Attendance at BC games will dwarf attendance at UCONN games in the near future. While BC plays home games against the likes of USCw, FSU, Clemson, Va Tech, and nearby Syracuse, we will get a home schedule next year that consists of Villanova, Army and a slew of AAC dregs. Now, all this could change and change very rapidly if UCONN is invited to the B1G or ACC (although we're all in agreement that an ACC invite will never happen, thanks to BC and other schools). Ironically, BC support could also reap the benefit of UCONN being on equal footing. It would have that much-needed local rival that would bring instant hatred amongst the Eagle fanbase...something that college athletics sorely needs back after all the CR.

As for basketball, an annual game at the XL against BC would sell out every year not because BC is any good, but because UCONN fans hate BC. BC hoops will always be behind UCONN hoops, regardless of what conference UCONN plays in, but the average UCONN fan would still get more fired up to play against an unranked, mediocre BC team than most ranked AAC teams. Look how fired up everyone was around here over last year's game at MSG and the potential for a rematch this year in Puerto Rico.

Even if the two schools never play against each other as conference mates, I think both would benefit from annual games against one another in all sports. Even if you played the football games at Gillette and the basketball games at TD Bank, you would get sellout crowds with close to a 50/50 split. It would generate a great amount of excitement in and around New England and re-ignite what could be a very long lasting and heated rivalry. The northeast is often criticized by southern fans of not caring much about football and, for the most part, it's true. An annual game between the two most followed athletic programs could help change that perception, over time, in the same way that Yale/Harvard is played. Southerners just don't understand the importance of Yale/Harvard up here because the players carry 4.0 GPAs and will never go to prison. The same importance would be placed on a UCONN/BC annual game.

Reaction Score
There are a number of rivalry games that most of the nation neither knows or cares about...but are important to the fans of the programs involved. Most involve teams not on the first tier of college football.

Alabama-Birmingham vs Troy....

FIU vs FAU

Eastern Michigan vs Western Michigan

The biggest rivalry game in Tallahassee for much of the population is the Bethune Cookman vs Florida A&M game

pj

Reaction Score
There are a number of rivalry games that most of the nation neither knows or cares about...but are important to the fans of the programs involved. Most involve teams not on the first tier of college football.

FIU vs FAU

The biggest rivalry game in Tallahassee for much of the population is the Bethune Cookman vs Florida A&M game

BC doesn't want a rivalry game. They want your $20 million per year, and as little attention as possible.

Reaction Score
Please tell me you have a life beyond posting on this site. duck*ing amazing to me that the first post on BC and quite some time and your on it in about 30 minutes. Not sure if it's scary or just sad.
nobody cares about BC... that's why whatever fans the school does have, can be found here, supporting New England's college team.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

FIU vs FAU

Easter Michigan has no rivals. They are just there. I got one of my degrees from there and no one gets up for EMU. Now Central Michigan and Western Michigan hate each other. That is quite the rivalry!

Reaction Score
I live in Cambridge, am an active Catholic, and have been to games at Conte Forum. It is weird to say that Harvard football is more popular than BC football -- Harvard must have cleaned up on social media mentions because no way do they win at the most obvious dimensions. Apart from that, it's a generally accurate article. Interest in BC football has declined since they moved to the ACC and lost all their regional rivals. They have loyal alumni fans and that is it; they don't penetrate the larger community.

Nor do you get the impression that BC wants to penetrate the local community. They seem to be happy catering to their own alumni and Jesuit community, picking up $20 mn a year from the ACC, and separating themselves a bit from non-alumni residents. There is hardly any local PR from BC. They don't represent themselves as "Boston's sports school". Personally, I'm glad of that - they should emphasize a Catholic, global identity, not a local parochial one. But, that makes it difficult for them to build a large local non-alumni athletics fan base. And they haven't.
BC is the local Notre Dame...

Reaction Score
Easter Michigan has no rivals. They are just there. I got one of my degrees from there and no one gets up for EMU. Now Central Michigan and Western Michigan hate each other. That is quite the rivalry!

Why EMU was put in Yipsilanti when U Michigan was already in in place the next town over in Ann Arbor is insane. EMU should be somewhere north of Detroit between there and Bay City. UConn and Eastern are about the same distance apart; but the do not compete in Athletics.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Eastern Michigan started out as a teacher college (Michigan State Normal College) in 1853 and became a full fledged university in 1959. Michigan has many State Universities in the Lower Peninsula.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom