Sean Woods Incident (Morehead State vs Kentucky) | The Boneyard

Sean Woods Incident (Morehead State vs Kentucky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Anyone else see him drive a player to near tears? Thoughts? His team looked really athletic against UK. But that incident might overshadow it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reaction Score
Scott Van Pelt said he did this pretty much the entire game when they played MD, I'd imagine he's going to get a talking to from administration since this has been blowing up on twitter/blogs.

zls44

Reaction Score
Yowzas.

Looked like the assistant was trying to get between them without making it look too obvious that he was separating the head coach from a player. The shove was really, really uncomfortable to watch.

H

Huskieforlife

Yowzas.

Could he be fired for pushing him? I swear that kid might have knocked the coach out if he had pushed him again. the first push was heated!

Reaction Score
I'm all for tough love and fiery coach can get after it with a player but you cross a line as soon as you get physical, it just should never happen.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Funny how times have changed. I had high school and college football coaches who had incidents like that in practice virtually every day and often times worse. We didn't even think twice about getting grabbed by the face mask or getting a finger poked repeatedly in your chest while being screamed at. That's just how it was. That was only 25 years ago.

Reaction Score
I agree that the shove crossed the line a bit. But anyone on this board that might say the face to face confrontation was too much needs to step back a bit. This is a part of the game that has fallen to the wayside over the years and one that I welcome.

I didn't see the game nor do I know much about Woods' usual behavior, so I cant speak to the situation that provoked the encounter. But anyone who has sat behind the UCONN bench in the JC era should understand tough love and the beneficial nature it can have on a program. I've heard him say some miserable things to players (miserable might be an understatement), yet it galvanized them and we all know what he was able to do here and the way he influenced so many young men. It's a thin line to walk, and maybe only some people can perfect it, but I honestly believe that College basketball needs this (again, not saying Woods was right in everything he did).

zls44

Reaction Score
I don't think Woods should be fired...a public reprimand at most. It's a new job for him, and I think the emotion of the moment just overwhelmed him. His team played very well- they've clearly bought in. He needs someone experienced to take him aside and inform him that this crap won't be tolerated going forward. And, hopefully, that's the end of it.

Reaction Score
We need to know so much more about the incident to even comment. The kid could've have disrespected him on the way to the bench without our knowledge and he certainly looked like he did after they initial exchange. As many have said, this was how I grew up in baseball and basketball. You screw up you get an earful, you disrespect or make excuses you get a tug of the shirt or a "sit the duckk down and think about it".........

As Beantown said we don't have all the facts including how Woods is every day, but passion is part of the game and if you can't handle it, well "sit the duckk down"

Reaction Score
This is tough to watch. I think it's uncalled for. It's one thing to be fiery, it's another to publicly humiliate someone in front of tens of thousands. It's true, we don't know the whole story, but there are other ways to deal with a situation. I remember my first job out of college, I was working on a trading floor and my boss used to lose it constantly. Sometimes it was my fault, but a lot of the times, he was angry about a trade and just took it out on people. He would berate me in front of the entire desk. Unfortunately, a trading floor is a tightly packed space and people just pretended it wasn't happening. He did it a few times, and I felt tiny. Finally, after one outburst when he actually shoved me, I calmly told him that I was going to kick his ass if he ever did it again. He didn't. That sort of thing isn't accepted on Wall Street anymore, and I think it's for the better. I think the guy maybe had my best interests in mind, deep down, but he was a bully and got off on demeaning thoughts. The point is, a change in traditions isn't always a bad thing.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
A little blame has to go to the network - they didn't need to keep the camera on the kids face between foul shots. That was pretty over the top too.

Reaction Score
The sad part is that some of these coaches think that it's okay to communicate that way.

I've been watching UConn games for a long time and I NEVER saw JC yell at a kid for that long. He always said a few words about the mistake a kid made and moved on.

caw

Reaction Score
The sad part is that some of these coaches think that it's okay to communicate that way.

I've been watching UConn games for a long time and I NEVER saw JC yell at a kid for that long. He always said a few words about the mistake a kid made and moved on.

He came back sometimes.

Reaction Score
Funny how times have changed. I had high school and college football coaches who had incidents like that in practice virtually every day and often times worse. We didn't even think twice about getting grabbed by the face mask or getting a finger poked repeatedly in your chest while being screamed at. That's just how it was. That was only 25 years ago.

Its still common. At least for me it was and that was 5-8 yrs ago. Then again my dad was part of the coaching staff so that makes a difference

Reaction Score
I think the kid said something uncalled for on his way back quite honestly....check out the assistant coach who some think was trying to get in the middle, instead I believe he was po'd at the kid for something he said.......and the kid bumped the coach and continued to yap after playing real lazy defense.........fact is if I heard correctly it's the kids 4th school in 4 years, not all on Woods here!! Just saying.......:oops:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I agree that the shove crossed the line a bit. But anyone on this board that might say the face to face confrontation was too much needs to step back a bit. This is a part of the game that has fallen to the wayside over the years and one that I welcome.

I didn't see the game nor do I know much about Woods' usual behavior, so I cant speak to the situation that provoked the encounter. But anyone who has sat behind the UCONN bench in the JC era should understand tough love and the beneficial nature it can have on a program. I've heard him say some miserable things to players (miserable might be an understatement), yet it galvanized them and we all know what he was able to do here and the way he influenced so many young men. It's a thin line to walk, and maybe only some people can perfect it, but I honestly believe that College basketball needs this (again, not saying Woods was right in everything he did).

The thing is, most successful coaches don't do the physical stuff. It really is possible to motivate without physical intimidation or bullying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom