Scripted plays....then nothing. | The Boneyard

Scripted plays....then nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the feeling I got, as this god-awful day wore on. I dodn't know if I"m right, or way off....but it's how I felt. We came out with a script. NFL style. A bunch of plays, 10-15 or so, that we had practiced all week long, that we were going to run, and that we were going to execute. Bam. WE come out, we run our stuff, and get three good possessions and 14 points out of it.

Then what happens. THe opponent starts to adjust to what we're doing. THere simply isn't enough time in a practice week, to drill 65-70 plays......so we have to go to the playbook........the OC needs to start thinking ahead of where we are on the field, and what's happening......

....and we fall right into the same rut we've been in all along. The D is moving around and our blockers have no idea who to block, because the defense shows one thing, then moves, and the pay clock is counting down, and after the move, nobody knows what to do.

All of the timing, and on target motion and movement, that clearly, to me,was practiced during the week, for that NFL style scripted opening to thegame?

GONE.

I do believe that these coaches, are completely out of touch with the college game, and it's a realization that I do freely admit, I have been slow to come to.

Today was the last straw. We are not lacking in enough talent to put up the points that were necessary to win today.

Reaction Score
You defined exactly what I though I was seeing. We just got more and more out of sync. That's more than just short-term weekly preparation. It's a failed system when it happens over and over. And the players keep struggling to get it right. To overcome their mistakes. They put all the blame on themselves because they can't perfect it.

Reaction Score
This is the feeling I got, as this god-awful day wore on. I dodn't know if I"m right, or way off....but it's how I felt. We came out with a script. NFL style. A bunch of plays, 10-15 or so, that we had practiced all week long, that we were going to run, and that we were going to execute. Bam. WE come out, we run our stuff, and get three good possessions and 14 points out of it.

Then what happens. THe opponent starts to adjust to what we're doing. THere simply isn't enough time in a practice week, to drill 65-70 plays......so we have to go to the playbook........the OC needs to start thinking ahead of where we are on the field, and what's happening......

....and we fall right into the same rut we've been in all along. The D is moving around and our blockers have no idea who to block, because the defense shows one thing, then moves, and the pay clock is counting down, and after the move, nobody knows what to do.

All of the timing, and on target motion and movement, that clearly, to me,was practiced during the week, for that NFL style scripted opening to thegame?

GONE.

I do believe that these coaches, are completely out of touch with the college game, and it's a realization that I do freely admit, I have been slow to come to.

Today was the last straw. We are not lacking in enough talent to put up the points that were necessary to win today.
It is extremely concerning...after the first quarter, I was double thinking myself and then "nothing" like you said. I don't understand it and I have no clue what happened. I thought I was a decent judge of college football but after watching the 1st quarter and then the 2nd thru 4th, I have convinced myself that I do not have a clue about college football. I wish I can add something significant but I can not except that I think we need a new staff. I want to be at the Rent with a packed house 20 years from now and for the 1st time ever I don't think that is going to happen.

Reaction Score
Looking at some numbers now.

OUr first 21 plays - result in a missed FG and two TD's.

We drive for another 7 plays - and then the punt......the first punt......the WTF, Bill Stewart moment. Punt? Go for it on 4th down in that situation. Seriously. Bill Stewart (RIP) didn't survive (football job) that kind of faithless decision in your team either.

So - time for adjustment from the oppositon, and the NFL style script to open the game is over. Everything you practiced during the week, to get the game going.....

Now - it's time to go to the playbook, and play the game, strategy and tactics.......

The next 19 plays - go for a grand total of 40 yards and 6 straight punts. (20 plays including the knee before half)

We have three consecutive three and outs....two to open the second half. OUr players look exactly like they have in the previous six games when the scripted plays are over, and it's time to go to the playbook and system - and the opponent is doing something different.....they have no idea WTF they are doing.

I'm stopping here, before I get too angry, I will go to bed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom