SC vs LSU | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SC vs LSU

Reaction Score
As much as I like and respect our SEC LSU fan here, the sheer lunacy of their immediate loss posts are very confusing and irrational. This is year 2 of rebuilding a very down LSU program. Of course Kim has more to do and what she has already accomplished is mind-numbing. She also has a top class of recruits coming in next year. She clearly has the #2 program in the "mighty SEC" already so what is absolutely confounding is the complaints by this Tiger fan.
Is this LSU a top 10 team, who knows as they haven't played anyone to justify their rank anywhere from 8-18. They are probably a deserving Top 16 team to host, but let's be honest very few of the SEC teams will make it to the 2nd round and only SC is guaranteed to make it to the Sweet 16 and beyond.

Overall, it was an entertaining game, going the way most of us figured and certainly puts Caitlin Clark in the NPOY driver's se
For all the reason’s you stated, and the fact thst SC totally dominated LSU the way they did, and won by 24 points, is why I think SC will repeat as national champions.

There’s a gap between them and other teams like there used to be between UConn and other teams. They are the last undefeated team in D1 WCBB. If not them, then who?
I think UConn has a chance if Ducharme and Fudd return, or maybe even one of them. I also think Indiana might be a good game and Stanford could get them if they’re on their A game and SC is on their B game. I do think they’ll likely repeat, but if they don’t, these are the teams I think could get them.

Reaction Score
Just made it home from the game! The environment was crazy!!! It got so loud at one point my ears started ringing! Great game and respect to LSU.
I know we all make fun of Kim as she is a firecracker but I was pleasantly happy with how she acted during the game and after. No sore loser mentality or anything. She straight up said SC is the standard and said that is who they strive to be one day and used the game as a learning experience for the program and its current players.

She didn't take anything out on any player or throw excuses. She was actually remarkable calm. She used it as a tool to learn, grow and what they have to adapt to down the road.

Any coach though who has built their program into a powerhouse it is today took their lumps at some point to get there. Don't get embarrassed or make excuses. Just use it to fuel you and get better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good news/Bad news:
Good news: I think the SC 24 point MOV sheds a good light on the UConn effort.
Bad news: I hope I'm wrong, but I think Cardoso is getting better...
Good news: Dorka is also getting better...
Bad news: UConn still a pretty depleted team... SC bench strong...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just made it home from the game! The environment was crazy!!! It got so loud at one point my ears started ringing! Great game and respect to LSU.
Glad you made it home safrly. Now get ready to watch another game where the atomispher is even more crazy. The SuperBowl. I like the Eagles. :D

Reaction Score
South Carolinas only real threats are Stanford Indiana and UConn. The UConn game was way better than this. Wait til fudd gets back
Did you mean: If Fudd gets back? Please tell me you know for sure.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Good news/Bad news:
Good news: I think the SC 24 point MOV sheds a good light on the UConn effort.
Bad news: I hope I'm wrong, but I think Cardoso is getting better...
Good news: Dorka is also getting better...
Bad news: UConn still a pretty depleted team... SC bench strong...
You’re not wrong. Trust your eyes, they’re not betraying you. Cardoso is getting better with age (maturity), and good coaching. She’s not the raw sophomore she was when she transferred in from Syracuse. I expect her to have a stellar senior year as she takes the baton from Boston. Anyone not convinced by now that SC is the best team in the country is a hard sell. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm not defending Kim's trash schedule which we have complained about for months but I truly don't see the game ending much differently if they played a much more difficult schedule. Maybe its a 15-20 point loss instead. SC is in a class in their own way above LSU and a tough schedule isn't going to change that. The media is the one self promoting LSU as a top 5 team, when in reality they are probably just a middle of the pack top 25 team in rebuild mode (a very good but not elite team)

LSU's lack of quality depth is ridiculously glaring. They had it at one point 6-7 points in the middle of the third quarter but LSU became very tired towards the end. SC kept pounding it inside and getting rebounds off missed free throws. Nothing LSU was doing could prevent Cardoso from scoring. It was 6'7 on 6'2. This LSU team is also highly reliant on Flaujae's scoring which typically never does well against a team like SC. She gave 0 points and they did not make a single attempt to get her involved.

Most embarrassing stat of the game was a 6'2 thin freshmen Sa'Myah Smith (who played terrific) having 6 rebounds and Reese/Ladazhia combine for 6 rebounds. That is laughably bad.

Reaction Score
I'm not defending Kim's trash schedule which we have complained about for months but I truly don't see the game ending much differently if they played a much more difficult schedule. Maybe its a 15-20 point loss instead. SC is in a class in their own way above LSU and a tough schedule isn't going to change that. The media is the one self promoting LSU as a top 5 team, when in reality they are probably just a middle of the pack top 25 team in rebuild mode (a very good but not elite team)

LSU's lack of quality depth is ridiculously glaring. They had it at one point 6-7 points in the middle of the third quarter but LSU became very tired towards the end. SC kept pounding it inside and getting rebounds off missed free throws. Nothing LSU was doing could prevent Cardoso from scoring. It was 6'7 on 6'2. This LSU team is also highly reliant on Flaujae's scoring which typically never does well against a team like SC. She gave 0 points and they did not make a single attempt to get her involved.

Most embarrassing stat of the game was a 6'2 thin freshmen Sa'Myah Smith (who played terrific) having 6 rebounds and Reese/Ladazhia combine for 6 rebounds. That is laughably bad.
We also didn't sell out on defense to stop SC bigs. Or even preventing them from getting touches. I see why teams do it. And I know SC would've adjusted anyway

Reaction Score
SC is a slow starter, has been all season mostly. LSU will hang around the first half, might have a lead. Second half usually favors SC, we will see Sunday.
Not today.

18-2 open. We "learned"

SC defense is the best in the country

Cardoso is really good on both ends

Kim spent much of the second half on the court, why no warning or T?

Morris can deliver

With this talent and effort no one is going to touch SC throughout the tournament.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Gamecocks held the Huskies in check from the perimeter as I recall Uconn was only able to get six three-point attempts. That would seem to be pretty good perimeter D, Huskies are one of the top three-point shooting teams in the nation this year

Well to be fair UConn only has 1 healthy 3 pt shooter right now, so it was not that hard to take that away. If Fudd was available or is available for NCAA tournament that would make a substantial difference. Whether Fudd can return is still a huge question but I’d love a rematch with a healthy Fudd and Ducharme.

Reaction Score
Will
Well to be fair UConn only has 1 healthy 3 pt shooter right now, so it was not that hard to take that away. If Fudd was available or is available for NCAA tournament that would make a substantial difference. Whether Fudd can return is still a huge question but I’d love a rematch with a healthy Fudd and Ducharme.
So if/when they come back, who do they replace? Serious question.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I know we all make fun of Kim as she is a firecracker but I was pleasantly happy with how she acted during the game and after. No sore loser mentality or anything. She straight up said SC the standard and said that is who they strive to be one day and used the game as a learning experience for the program and its current players.

She didn't take anything out on any player or throw excuses. She was actually remarkable calm. She used it as a tool to learn, grow and what they have to adapt to down the road.

Any coach though who has built their program into a powerhouse it is today took their lumps at some point to get there. Don't get embarrassed or make excuses. Just use it to fuel you and get better.
THIS.

Gamecock fans know this as good as anybody. When Dawn was building her program we took a fair amount of demolitions at the hands of UConn and Stanford and a heartbreaker here and there from Notre Dame. Kim will get y’all on that same level sooner rather than later. But Kim has to get over that soft scheduling. The best players want to compete against the best programs and they want the spotlight. Games against the best programs, win or lose, will only benefit your program in the long run.

Reaction Score
THIS.

Gamecock fans know this as good as anybody. When Dawn was building her program we took a fair amount of demolitions at the hands of UConn and Stanford and a heartbreaker here and there from Notre Dame. Kim will get y’all on that same level sooner rather than later. But Kim has to get over that soft scheduling. The best players want to compete against the best programs and they want the spotlight. Games against the best programs, win or lose, will only benefit your program in the long run.
I agree 100% about the schedule especially. Kim has always kinda been a weak scheduler but its never been this bad, ever. This is historically bad even by her standards. I get the schedule was made before last year ended and she probably assumed the cupboard was be empty with so many kids leaving and unsure if any quality transfer would want to come to LSU when they were in basic rebuild mode from scratch.

Kim did a luncheon two weeks ago, she mentioned they are supposed to be in the Naismith Hall of Fame Classic next season, which they should play someone of quality hopefully. She also mentioned playing in another tournament with a few top 25 teams but that is in the works right now. Hopefully its serviceable next year, definitely can't be any worse than right now.

She also mentioned they were supposed to play Virginia this year (not great but at least P5) but somehow that fell through last minute.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I agree 100% about the schedule especially. Kim has always kinda been a weak scheduler but its never been this bad, ever. This is historically bad even by her standards. I get the schedule was made before last year ended and she probably assumed the cupboard was be empty with so many kids leaving and unsure if any quality transfer would want to come to LSU when they were in basic rebuild mode from scratch.

Kim did a luncheon two weeks ago, she mentioned they are supposed to be in the Naismith Hall of Fame Classic next season, which they should play someone of quality hopefully. She also mentioned playing in another tournament with a few top 25 teams but that is in the works right now. Hopefully its serviceable next year, definitely can't be any worse than right now.

She also mentioned they were supposed to play Virginia this year (not great but at least P5) but somehow that fell through last minute.
I bet we get UConn...don't they always play in that classic?

Reaction Score
It ended in a blowout, but LSU held it close in the 2nd and 3rd. It was largely due to Morris’s heroics — I didn’t think she had it in her. But I think they deserve some respect for playing a better team close for as long as they did. I’m sure this was a new experience for them, being so thoroughly over matched at every position.

Reese was a non-factor, and got some junk points at the end to make her stat line seem a bit more respectable. But even with that, I think she showed some grit and talent. The taunting and showboating was gone — one moment in the third it peeked out when she said “too small” to Saxton after one of her few baskets. But I think even she could see how ridiculous that had to seem in the eyes of the world.

My conclusion after this game is that LSU is definitely a top ten team, and maybe even a top 5 team. They are too thin on talent to really run with SC. But a lot of folks here (me included) like to cherish high hopes for an even thinner team.

And after today, I think no one can really stop SC. Unless there’s a disaster or a fluke, they look like NC favorites to me.

Reaction Score
I bet we get UConn...don't they always play in that classic?
The two games this year were:

UCONN vs Florida St
Iowa St vs Villanova

Hopefully LSU ends up in it and playing someone very solid early on. Reese, Flaujae, Sa'Myah along with the freshmen class they have coming in should be playing quality competition in OOC play. And this is before they add from the portal to upgrade talent in some spots.

Reaction Score
Kierra Fletcher was the unsung x factor in this game. Morris was near unstoppable until Dawn substituted her in for Raven. Kierra immediately shut Morris down. Great to see after her struggles against UConn last weekend. Quite a reversal of fortunes.

Reaction Score
It ended in a blowout, but LSU held it close in the 2nd and 3rd. It was largely due to Morris’s heroics — I didn’t think she had it in her. But I think they deserve some respect for playing a better team close for as long as they did. I’m sure this was a new experience for them, being so thoroughly over matched at every position.

Reese was a non-factor, and got some junk points at the end to make her stat line seem a bit more respectable. But even with that, I think she showed some grit and talent. The taunting and showboating was gone — one moment in the third it peeked out when she said “too small” to Saxton after one of her few baskets. But I think even she could see how ridiculous that had to seem in the eyes of the world.

My conclusion after this game is that LSU is definitely a top ten team, and maybe even a top 5 team. They are too thin on talent to really run with SC. But a lot of folks here (me included) like to cherish high hopes for an even thinner team.

And after today, I think no one can really stop SC. Unless there’s a disaster or a fluke, they look like NC favorites to me.
I'd put LSU in the 12-16 range, they are solid but they just have very inconsistent play all around although they have talent in spots Morris, Reese, Flaujae, Sa'Myah and Ladazhia is a solid core but LSU's freshmen at time go through up and downs. Its much less steady than last years team of all seniors who were mostly consistent every night. But this is what happens when you play freshmen. Very few freshmen have a steady presence every game year one.

I was proud of the team for fighting back when the game could have ended much sooner but the foul trouble kept piling on and then the depth of SC took over by late in the third and that was it. I expected Flaujae to struggle but to be that non existent in a game was pretty bad. 11 minutes with 3 fouls and 1 shot attempt for the 3rd leading scorer on the team (13 PPG) is just not acceptable. LSU already is thinner than a sheet of paper, to get that little from her is just not gonna cut it. Kim should have attempted to run some sets for her but they gave up on her way too quick IMO. I think they panicked and just rode Morris hoping Reese would eventually wake up (which she did not).

Looking strictly at the benches:

SC: 34 points 21 rebounds
LSU: 15 points 9 rebounds

Stanford may be one of the few teams who could match up or be somewhat competitive with SC, mostly because of Brink and Jones but I'd be interested to see what thats like on a neutral court. I just think SC is way too deep, talented, experienced this year. They have a machine rolling right now

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a humbling pie for sure for our players.... But I still think we are a good team. Top 5 was a stretch. I still think we are top 10.

But we are not in the same class as SC. I'm not sure who could beat that team TBH. But it's a learning experience for us.

Hopefully we can become more reliant on talent outside of Reese and Morris. And continue developing our talent at Freshmen.

I think LSU is a good team. No team in the country was beating SC today. Especially if you play a man-to-man defense. That is why teams always play a sagging zone and pack the paint against us. Props for playing us head up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Stanford or Indiana.

Reaction Score

We also didn't sell out on defense to stop SC bigs. Or even preventing them from getting touches. I see why teams do it. And I know SC would've adjusted anyway
I expect Kim will do that next time. She probably didn't want to go away from what you'll did all year and challenge LSU bigs to man up.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I expect Kim will do that next time. She probably didn't want to go away from what you'll did all year and challenge LSU bigs to man up.
She said in her post game presser that if we meet again she’ll do things differently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom