Say what?.... | The Boneyard

Say what?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I saw this in an articles about the upcoming Tennessee/Stanford game.

Last season, the Lady Vols fell to Stanford at home, 73-60. In order to defeat the No. 6/4 Cardinal, UT will have to stop Stanford's leader, Chiney Ogwumike, who gave the Big Orange some trouble in the previous meeting.

"We came into the game last year not prepared mentally," Graves said. "I think a lot of us were focused on going home and not on the game. "

So, you are playing against the NUMBER ONE ranked team in the country at home and you are not mentally prepared? You were thinking about going home and not about your biggest game of the year at that time?

Wow..just wow.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So, you are playing against the NUMBER ONE ranked team in the country at home and you are not mentally prepared? You were thinking about going home and not about your biggest game of the year at that time?

Wow..just wow.
Santy Claus is coming.

HGN

Reaction Score

Last season, the Lady Vols fell to Stanford at home, 73-60. In order to defeat the No. 6/4 Cardinal, UT will have to stop Stanford's leader, Chiney Ogwumike, who gave the Big Orange some trouble in the previous meeting.

"We came into the game last year not prepared mentally," Graves said. "I think a lot of us were focused on going home and not on the game. "

Wow..just wow.
DD, there are 2 things that will derail a win or NC according to Geno.....Complacency and/or lack of focus. I think what happened to the LV last year was a lack of focus. At least thats what Graves is saying. Coaches should have prevented that and kept the focus on the game and not let thoughts of going home sneak in there because kids will be kids.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD, there are 2 things that will derail a win or NC according to Geno.....Complacency and/or lack of focus. I think what happened to the LV last year was a lack of focus. At least thats what Graves is saying. Coaches should have prevented that and kept the focus on the game and not let thoughts of going home sneak in there because kids will be kids.
Kids will be kids? Sorry, but that dog won't hunt.

Against Tennessee State? I get it. Against #1 Stanford? No way.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
New Coach, young immature player (who is also honest; really like her).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe Coach P could send Coach HW a few of those motivational plaques festooning the Duke locker room.;)

Reaction Score
It's understandable. Tenn players have hands down the best Christmas parties.

or.....

They had their hands down on defense that game.

This is fun.....

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
upload_2013-12-20_10-25-17.jpeg

Where is the party?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to."

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Happens.

Many years ago, before most folks here were following WBB, an unranked Rutgers defeated #1 Tennessee at the RAC behind a former star named Caroline deRoose; the game is known as the "ice storm" game.

The common reason given for the upset had to do with Tennessee not concentrating, it being Christmas season and the first visit to New York City for many of the players, who had been in the city the day before. Die hards brag that they were there, having made it through the storm.

That's not the only instance I've heard of, but obviously one I've heard a million times.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Wow..just wow.

I get it.

Your choices are:
  1. Admit you aren't as good as Stanford, not even close.
  2. Come up with a cockamamie excuse that allows you to think you are still the best, despite the evidence to the contrary.
Many people, not just LVs, managed to go for door #2.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I get it.

Your choices are:

1. [ ]Admit you aren't as good as Stanford, not even close.
    [ ]Come up with a cockamamie excuse that allows you to think you are still the best, despite the evidence to the contrary.

Great word Phil...

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I get it.

Your choices are:

[ ]Come up with a cockamamie excuse that allows you to think you are still the best, despite the evidence to the contrary.

I like what you said, Phil. I was going to phrase the same sentiment but just in a different way.

Choice 2 is the easier option for most, I think, just as it's easier for Coach P to say that her team needs some more lessons than to say "Hey, UConn is just a much better team than us." It's just hard to say the other guy is better - which, by the way, is one of the things I admire about Geno, his honesty to say that he doesn't always have the best team.

The problem of course is that the players on Stanford, being on the road, probably wanted to go home even more than the Lady Vols.

Reaction Score
The Vols had same excuse when we beat Parker's team at Maples in Dec. 2007. Also, in the post game press conference, Pat said Parker was too beat up to come to join her, yet Parker was seen hustling out of Maples, then at SFO to catch a flight home.

Our post players (Appel, Pedersen and Harmon) had LOCK down D on Parker and other TN posts. It was also the game when Tara said Candice (Wiggins) is spelled with an "i", a dig at CandACE that pissed off Vol fans. It was one of my favorite games, ever.

game recap with quotes.

http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208078177

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Note that Ms. Graves specifically avoided saying that SHE wanted to go home. "A lot of us" probably was not meant to include herself. I interpret it as a slightly veiled criticism of her teammates' effort and focus in the game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I get it.

Your choices are:

Did I say that it was just the lady vols?

Cabbie made the best point. Weren't both teams playing just before the holiday?

I think the most stunning thing was it was in a game against the #1 team on the LV's home court. I would wager a guess that all these other people that go for door #2 were not playing under those circumstances. More likely against a lousy team that they beat by 30 instead of 40.

But against the new #1 team? Big issue in coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom