San Diego Union Tribune: "UConn still not a Blue Blood." | Page 2 | The Boneyard

San Diego Union Tribune: "UConn still not a Blue Blood."

Reaction Score
Not a blue blood they say? Oh well, who cares. We have 5 National Championships in the last 25 years. Here’s how old fans of “blue bloods” would have to be to have witnessed 5 titles themselves.

Kentucky: 66
UNC: 42
Duke: 33
Kansas: could have been old enough to witnessed the Big Bang, still wouldn’t have witnessed 5 titles.

I’ll take what we have, and where we are going, over some made up club.
I was just compelled to prayer for this hall of fame level read I just have to let you know, king/queen/royal.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It's a fine article, but why the hell does everybody push the inane and lazy narrative that we (paraphrasing) "stupidly chased football riches and moved from the basketball-centric Big East to the nobody-cares AAC" as if it wasn't basically the entire other way around?
What you quoted is the only bad/wrong/weak part of the article, which is otherwise thorough, accurate, and complimentary enough for me to take no offense.

Reaction Score
I could care less about the blue blood bs. People know about UConn. Walk through any airport in the US wear UConn apparel and people will want to talk UConn hoops with you.
This.

The other day, I had to establish an online account for paying one of my bills. I was chatting with an online Help person (who I didn't know from Jack) who was answering my questions about the account. I signed off by typing in "Thank you! Go UConn! (March Madness)". The Help person types back, "I love them! I've been a fan of theirs since I was in high school! I'll be rooting for them too!"

Now, this company is located somewhere in the Dallas area -- and the Help person could be remotely working from anywhere -- but it's just another example: People not only know about UConn, quite a few of them are fans.

PS -- I wear my UConn t-shirts out shopping, and people have smiled and stopped me in the grocery store to talk about UConn!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I didn't mind the way that paper presented it.

As far as whether Duke, Kentucky, UNC, Kansas and anyone else who believes they are in the club (blue bloods) wants to pretend we aren't good enough or haven't done enough to join them. Who gives a $#!&. We're well on our way to establishing a club that they won't be good enough to join.

Reaction Score
This is great:

Just yesterday I was joking with a friend about being able to hear Kansas fans saying we're not a blue blood unless or until we can commit multiple level 1 violations and come away unscathed. Maybe that's the test.
The blue blood argument has become a jumbled nonsensical argument. Everybody has different criteria so the debate becomes meaningless. I think i have the one true formula determine blue blood status and that is simply national titles. Kansas is the gate keeper so you need to have at least 4 national titles to get in the club. Villanova is on the cusp with 3 titles and no one else has more than 2. This is the most sensical and definitive way of determining blue blood status. These are cold hard indisputable numbers not subjective bias criteria. But at the end of the day its meaningless and just something for fans to argue about. Uconn is the best program in the country for nearly 30 years. Fact and thats all that matters to me.

Reaction Score
Zeigler dropped UConn from 2nd to 8th behind Florida Atlantic when they lost to Seton Hall. He had a couple of 3 loss teams ahead of us.

He only saw the light around 2/3rds of the season in.

Reaction Score
UK, UNC, Kansas, and Duke I guess - the blue bloods. They drive ratings, money, tv views, national followings. People are tuning in to watch them. Hell, the UK Oakland game had the highest opening weekend ratings in about 4 years. You either hate them or like them.

UConn- today’s best program. Enjoy it, cause you never know when that downturn is coming.

Reaction Score
The whole blue blood argument is tired. If 5 titles in 25 years and 35 years of excellence(outside of a few AAC years) doesn't do it then I don't want to be part of the made up good ole boy goober club.

Reaction Score
It was fine.
That feels like the correct summation of the piece. There’s no slight to get offended by. It was just lazy “journalism”. A summarization of the Wikipedia page of UConn’s basketball history with a debate that’s been had a million times between media talking heads and on message boards sprinkled in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is the quote listed in your thread title actually in the article? I don't see anything where the author actually says we're not a blue blood.
I read that conclusion stated twice and implied at least once:

"Society says [UConn isn't a Blue Blood], or at least not yet..."

"The traditional, accepted blue bloods are North Carolina, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. Some include UCLA with its 11 banners and Indiana with five."

"But [is acting like people from Jersey City act] how blue bloods act?"

Reaction Score
This was an excellent article. Tells exactly what it takes to run a successful program. Sometimes you just have to dig deep to find things to motivate. There is always something you can do to be better. I counted two uncontested jump shots in the last win. That is never acceptable. Get a hand up! Hurley and his staff are as good as there is in the country. Great coaches are always in search of perfection. Good coaches quite often don't even recognize what it is.

Reaction Score
I'm tired of the Blue Blood articles and debates but "what?" at this sentence? when did UCLA and Indiana become excluded?

"The traditional, accepted blue bloods are North Carolina, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky. Some include UCLA with its 11 banners and Indiana with five"
LOL. First clue the appellation is nonsense is excluding the most dominant MBB program yet to exist. Different era but it’s an unmatched feat.

Reaction Score
That feels like the correct summation of the piece. There’s no slight to get offended by. It was just lazy “journalism”. A summarization of the Wikipedia page of UConn’s basketball history with a debate that’s been had a million times between media talking heads and on message boards sprinkled in.
"lazy “journalism”........ so true!

Reaction Score
Is the quote listed in your thread title actually in the article? I don't see anything where the author actually says we're not a blue blood.
He says people aren’t calling UConn blue blood, even if UConn is.

Dumb debate. Who cares? I get Hurley pushing it because he wants to motivate his players. Keep them hungry.

As a fan, UConn isn’t Duke or Kansas or Kentucky. I wouldn’t want them to be.

But the more this debate lingers, and the more fans cling to ‘we’re a blue blood damit!’ mentality, the worse it looks for UConn.

5 NC’s, top program currently, best coaching staff, leading national storylines…. Train is rolling! Who cares what you call it. Just enjoy it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom