Sam Cassell, Jr. graduating and transferring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sam Cassell, Jr. graduating and transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Sam Jr.'s main contribution to the program was that when Ollie didn't seem like he could recruit anyone, Sam committed and everyone knew his father was a player, so, by coming to UConn, Sam gave Ollie what might be called Street Cred when Ollie desperately needed it.

Reaction Score
I hope Sam finds another home where he can have fun, get his studies in, get some burn and impact the whole team the way he did here despite not playing. You can see he was a huge fan of his teammates and a positive influence no matter what he was doing. I just wish the kid was healthier I still believe those spellings and some other issues are taking him back a notch or 2.

Either way thank you Sam and best of luck to you!

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I always thought his lack of playing time last season and this season was due to injuries. Anyway, Goodluck and congrats on graduating Sam jr.

C

Chief00

Sam Jr.'s main contribution to the program was that when Ollie didn't seem like he could recruit anyone, Sam committed and everyone knew his father was a player, so, by coming to UConn, Sam gave Ollie what might be called Street Cred when Ollie desperately needed it.

Sam and his assistant also helped with recruiting far more than we will ever know because he is a great guy!

C

Chief00

1. Yes, Sam was our 4th guard, but if he was playing because of injuries or foul trouble he wasn't going to be helping us anyway.

2. Denham Brown his Sr. year was playing 15 minutes a game at off guard, and that team was a Top 5 team all year. Hamilton handles and passes the ball as well (at least) as Denham did. If he has to play some at the 2 this year, there is no reason to think he couldn't help us there as much as Sam could anyway.

Good luck to Mr. Cassell in his next endeavors, whatever he decides to do from here.

I really think Sam Jr will be missed much more than many people realize. The off the court intangibles and fun he brought to the team will be very difficult to replace. You can type up all the statistics you want and they have no correlation to what Sam brought to the team - from making a recruit feel welcomed and have a great visit to keeping morale up after a tough loss. Sam is the guy who helped make the much talked about brotherhood what it was.

Reaction Score
I think Cassell is DHam's closest friend on the team. So his departure might affect DHam more than Purv.
Neither Purvis nor Hamilton's decision will be affected by this.

Reaction Score
I really think Sam Jr will be missed much more than many people realize. The off the court intangibles and fun he brought to the team will be very difficult to replace. You can type up all the statistics you want and they have no correlation to what Sam brought to the team - from making a recruit feel welcomed and have a great visit to keeping morale up after a tough loss. Sam is the guy who helped make the much talked about brotherhood what it was.
That's well and good but this isn't a Hallmark special, this is an elite college basketball program trying to win its 5th championship.

Reaction Score
Now we REALLY need to pick up another guard for next year
Let's not fool ourselves. The need for another guard is the absolute same as it was before this announcement. Just now we have another scholarship to open, this is a very positive development.

Reaction Score
Are you hanging out with him right now?

Reaction Score
That's well and good but this isn't a Hallmark special, this is an elite college basketball program trying to win its 5th championship.
You certainly understand team sports.

Reaction Score
You certainly understand team sports.
He seems like a great kid and a big part of the team, I just think a guard who can bring some of those intangibles but be counted on to play meaningful minutes would be a definite upgrade. How many times did people on here cringe and complain when KO brought Sam into a game that was close? Due to his loyalty and friendship with Sam Sr. this was probably a sticky situation for KO, now he can recruit for that 3rd ballhandler we definitely need.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Quite frankly, that is wasted time like midnight practice.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Best of luck Sam in whatever the future brings
I appreciate the fact that you held your head high and was a complete team player.
I am proud, as I am sure your family is, of your UConn degree - above basketball that is something that will help you in life.
While you may not have been satisfied with your basketball playing time at UConn I am sure you forged many friendships and you always seem to be upbeat.
This is a great win/win story for you, your family and UConn.
Thanks Sam

This is the best poem about Sam Cassell, Jr. that's ever been written.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Not in haiku for though. Maybe someone should start a SCJ haiku thread.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

best-of-luck-sam-in-whatever-the-future-brings-i-appreciate-the-fact-that-you-held-your-head-high-and-was-a-complete-team-player-thanks-sam-2795b.png

Reaction Score
I always thought he had more to offer than people on this board thought - athletically, clearly he wasn't equipped for this level, but I wouldn't have bet against him contributing as a fourth guard next season had he gotten healthy.

You can't say he never helped us win a big game. Kid scored 11 points in 12 minutes against Michigan way back in November. Who knows if we would have won that game without him.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Good luck Sam, thanks for choosing UConn. Congrats on your degree, wish you well, hope your dreams come true

Why are people talking about Rodney? He seems to like it here and he's getting plenty of minutes. His game is improving, we should be a force next year, I just don't see it

Reaction Score
*waits patiently for threads next year complaining when Sam scores 25 a game at some mid major and we wonder why he couldn't do that at UConn*

Sam will join the ranks of Roscoe Smith and Michael Nebrich and we will all cry about how Ollie didn't utilize him correctly. Calling it now.

Reaction Score
Cassell will most likely transfer to IONA based off what I have heard, or at least make an attempt to land there. I see UConn offering STM Guard Christain Vital, who recently Decommitted from UNLV. He is making an official visit sometime in the near future and I see them offering him, an in state kid, good shooter who is worth taking a chance on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom