Sacred Heart game moved to Tuesday | The Boneyard

Sacred Heart game moved to Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was looking forward to this game. Why the heck in the middle of freaking Long Island?

Reaction Score
Doesn't make much sense. Also wondering how come he has Zapata starting. Figured since it is the first mid-week game that he would have gone to Colletti who has been waiting his turn.

Reaction Score
My educated best guess is because Baseball Heaven has turf fields...

Reaction Score
And that there is still snow cover or mushy ground from snow melt in most of Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Doesn't make much sense. Also wondering how come he has Zapata starting. Figured since it is the first mid-week game that he would have gone to Colletti who has been waiting his turn.

Penders and the coaches have been pretty high on the freshmen pitching trio of Kay, Ruotolo, and Zapata. I'm thinking he wants to give all three regular work. At this point it looks like Ruotolo and Kay will see a lot of work out of the bullpen, along with Mahoney and Slade. Zapata gets regular work as a midweek starter. Certainly makes sense to me. The worse you can say about any of the three is that they give up too many walks. But other than that, they have been doing fine.

Reaction Score
Penders and the coaches have been pretty high on the freshmen pitching trio of Kay, Ruotolo, and Zapata. I'm thinking he wants to give all three regular work. At this point it looks like Ruotolo and Kay will see a lot of work out of the bullpen, along with Mahoney and Slade. Zapata gets regular work as a midweek starter. Certainly makes sense to me. The worse you can say about any of the three is that they give up too many walks. But other than that, they have been doing fine.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing that the young guns have been awesome so far and should get work. I just know that Colletti who was solid last year has seen very limited action so far this year and also Zapata just pitched on Sunday. Maybe it will be a pitcher by committee today where several guys get a few innings each.

Reaction Score
Oh, I'm not disagreeing that the young guns have been awesome so far and should get work. I just know that Colletti who was solid last year has seen very limited action so far this year and also Zapata just pitched on Sunday. Maybe it will be a pitcher by committee today where several guys get a few innings each.

We're entering into a new stage of the season with the introduction of midweek games for the team. They will now be playing 4 or 5 games a week until finals at the beginning of May instead of the 3 weekend games we've been seeing. That will mean more opportunities for Colletti, Radue and others to pitch, whether in relief or as a spot starter. And believe me, I want to see what these guys can do as well.

Reaction Score

I had forgotten that Zapata had pitched on Sunday. While I expect that Zapata will be the regular midweek starter, you are probably right that today he will be the start of a Penders staff day with several pitchers getting some work.

Reaction Score
Well I guess I shouldn't have said anything about who started as Zapata has a no-hitter thru 6. I also probably just jinxed him. Unfortunately they only have a 1-0 lead. Good start as they got the run in the first but bats have been quiet since.

Reaction Score
5-0 in the bottom of the 8th. Zapata goes 7 innings, one hit, four walks, one hit by pitch. Very nice. I suspect he will get one of the mid week starts in Winter Haven next week. Devin Over took over in relief. Siena with a sac fly and a three run home run, UConn's third home run of the season.

A couple of items from the WHUS broadcast by Chris Jones. It looks like Tom Verdi is out for another four weeks with his wrist. And Callahan Brown is not eligible to pitch this season due to his transfer from Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-basebl/recaps/031114aaa.html

Game Notes

- Andrew Zapata had a no-hitter broken up with two outs in the top of the seventh.
- Vinny Siena’s seventh-inning home run was first long ball of the season and the second of his career. It also extended his hitting streak to 18 games, dating back to last season. The sophomore has reached base safely in 24 consecutive outings.
- Eric Yavarone recorded his sixth mult-hit game, most on the Huskies. It was also his second straight game with at least two hits.
- Max McDowell stole his first base of the season in the sixth inning. UConn now has stolen bases from seven different players on the year. The Huskies swiped a season-high three on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
Zapata is a rare college baseball player on full scolie. I guess we know now, what Penders saw in him out of HS. When have we ever had a freshman take a no-no into the 7th inning. Even though is was Sacred Heart, it's still D-1 baseball. I don't even think Matt Barnes had this kind of a start.
Great frosh class. Kay & Ruotolo add to this excellent young pitching staff. Sullivan & Hill should be fixtures in the starting rotation for years to come.
I do think Garabedean & Olmstead will eventually make their mark here. I have to think Olmstead is going to red shirt this year. Can you imagine if we had Milone.
Experience is what this team needs, particularly with the position players. Lots of sophs and transfers still getting their feet wet.

Reaction Score
Zapata is a rare college baseball player on full scolie. I guess we know now, what Penders saw in him out of HS. When have we ever had a freshman take a no-no into the 7th inning. Even though is was Sacred Heart, it's still D-1 baseball. I don't even think Matt Barnes had this kind of a start.
Great frosh class. Kay & Ruotolo add to this excellent young pitching staff. Sullivan & Hill should be fixtures in the starting rotation for years to come.
I do think Garabedean & Olmstead will eventually make their mark here. I have to think Olmstead is going to red shirt this year. Can you imagine if we had Milone.
Experience is what this team needs, particularly with the position players. Lots of sophs and transfers still getting their feet wet.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Aaron Hill in particular is starting to bring some good stuff to the offense. Right now he has the second highest on base percentage on the team. By the way, Yavarone, a junior, is the only returning upper class man who is regularly starting in the field. This team needs the time to get experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom