Sabrina Ionescu makes the WSJ -- "Hottest Player in College Basketball" | The Boneyard

Sabrina Ionescu makes the WSJ -- "Hottest Player in College Basketball"

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
WSJ - The Hottest Player in College Basketball Is Named Sabrina

S1-ES324_sabrin_G_20200120224853.jpg

Last edited:

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Sabrina Lonescu is getting a lot of hype. I'm glad she put butts in the seats. Does her team have what it takes to bring home the National Championship? Well . . . guess we'll have to wait and see.

It'll be interesting to see how she fares against top notch competition in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Sabrina Lonescu is getting a lot of hype. I'm glad she put butts in the seats. Does her team have what it takes to bring home the National Championship? Well . . . guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think so. I’ve got Baylor and Oregon as my top 2 right now.

It'll be interesting to see how she fares against top notch competition in the WNBA.

I wonder how she’ll compare with how well Kalani Brown and Chloe Jackson did?

Mulder

Reaction Score

Kalani Brown stats for a 7th round choice are nothing to brag about, perhaps she'll round into form this season.

"Brown averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds in 28 games played during the 2019 regular season."

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Maybe NY works a trade for her ? But if they take her and keep her at #1, either Bria or Brittany Boyd will probably lose their roster spot. They will almost certainly be keeping Nurse and Durr in addition to Sabrina in that scenario.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kalani Brown stats for a 7th round choice are nothing to brag about, perhaps she'll round into form this season.

"Brown averaged 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds in 28 games played during the 2019 regular season."
I think you meant 7th overall pick not 7th round.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I believe that the author of the article used to work for the Oregonian. To me, the most interesting information is what Carol Callan (the director of the National Women's Team) says about learning basketball (partly) on the playground (Ionescu's history playing with her twin brother) vs. learning via the many structured opportuinities that are available to talented wbb players from a very early age. And the video of Ionescu stuffing, and then shoving, the older brother of the star quarterback of the UO football team during a pickup game last summer is priceless.

Reaction Score
There is a side of Sabrina you don't see of Sabrina on tv or media but only in person. She is so supportive of her team mates, especially for the freshmen I swear she is worth a few extra points even on the bench in motivating them. That side can ony be seen in person.

Reaction Score

Oregon definitely has what it takes - on a good day. IMO they are the most talented team this year. But they've shown they can lose to a non-top-10 team too (ASU). I have my doubts too - we'll see.

Regarding Sabrina, I have no doubts. I've seen them play in person several times and she's an absolute stud. No question she's the real deal - she's gonna be the #1 pick for a reason. Super smart player and ultra-competitive with a motor that never quits. Not the fastest or most "athletic" - kinda like Taurasi - she can flat-out ball and is a natural leader. She'll be fine in the WNBA from day 1.

Reaction Score

I wonder how will she'll compare with how well other overall 1st picks did their rookie season. Apples to apples. She should have an higher upside that both of them since she's going to be the presumption overall 1st pick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clearly Sabrina has work to do as mentioned in earlier posts, most noteably to win it all. Her next 2 hurdIes are coming soon: to beat Oregon State in Corvallis which is the only PAC12 town she hasn't won in, being 0-3. That comes Sunday. Then 8 days later she has a chance to win a game in Connecticut on National TV and revenge her worst college loss ever when as a freshman, the Ducks lost 90-52 to UConn in Bridgport in the Elite 8. I wouldn't be surprised if more people watch that game on TV than any regular season WBB ever because of the Oregon and UConn brands and the Sabrina factor.

As for milestones she has many Oregon career records and is currently tied with Gary Payton as the PAC12 assist leader, men or women and will break that record whem they play his alma mater Friday. We know she has already blown apart the NCAA triple double record with 22 and counting. What's even more impressive she is on track to become the first college player, man or woman, to have 2000 career points (which she already has), 1000 rebounds, and 1000 assists. She needs 90 rebounds (9 games given her season 9.1/gm average) and 62 assists (8 games given her 8.6 a/gm). She also will probaby get 2500 points if she keeps her season average of 17.4 pts/gm in about 13 games. Barring God forbid an injury, she should achieve all these milestones during the regular season.

FinaIly I would argue Sabrina has a chance to be the first college WBB player to win a national championship and be more important and more known than her coach. Graves clearly takes a back seat to her and more people know who Sabrina is than Kelly, by far. Previous champions this century the coach was known at least as much as their best player: Geno, Pat, Muffet, Kim, Dawn, Brenda, and Gary Blair just to name the most recent. I do think he was the perfect fit as a coach for Sabrina and knows how blessed he is to have her on his roster. For her to be as special as some people are predicting. it starts with getting to that National Championship game, which ratings would be brilliant.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

Kalani Brown averaged those 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds in 13.5 minutes per game (while shooting 47.8 percent from the floor and 78.3 percent from the foul line). In other words, she was productive in the limited minutes she received.

Why did she receive limited minutes? In terms of post options (PF/C players who primarily score in the paint or close to the basket), Los Angeles had Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike, Chiney Ogwumike, and Maria Vadeeva on the roster last season (Vadeeva played in approximately half of the games, as she missed time due to overseas commitments). Also, in games that I saw in person, Brown did not appear to be in the best basketball shape. A professional-level conditioning program would help to prepare her for the 2020 WNBA season.

Maybe NY works a trade for her ? But if they take her and keep her at #1, either Bria or Brittany Boyd will probably lose their roster spot. They will almost certainly be keeping Nurse and Durr in addition to Sabrina in that scenario.

There is almost zero probability of New York trading the #1 pick.

First, the #1 pick has only been traded once -- in 2007, when the Phoenix Mercury traded #1 Lindsey Harding for Tangela Smith. The 2007 draft was considered to be fairly weak and the Mercury front office didn't feel that there was a player available that would put them over the top. Phoenix traded Harding in a draft day deal for Smith, to acquire a player necessary to put Phoenix (who had Diana Taurasi, Penny Taylor, Cappie Pondexter, and Kelly Miller) over the top. Smith was part of the Mercury's WNBA Championship teams in 2007 and 2009.

New York is not nearly as close as Phoenix was to being a contender.

Second, here are some of New York's offensive statistics from 2019:
  • 8th in PPG
  • 10th in FG% - .414
  • 8th in 3pt. FG% - .334
  • 8th in FG made per game
  • 8th in FT made per game
  • 10th in turnovers per game

And here are some of New York's defensive statistics from 2019:

• 12th (last) in opponents' PPG
  • 10th in opponents' FG%
  • 12th (last) in opponents' 3pt. FG%
  • 11th in opponents' FG made
  • 11th in opponents' 3pt. FG made
  • 12th (last) in opponents' FT made

What does this say? New York's offense was not very good, and the Liberty could not stop teams on the defensive end.

• Brittney Boyd is NY's best playmaker, but she cannot shoot from the outside (she has made a total of 31 three-point baskets in 128 career games), which makes her a liability on offense.
  • Bria Hartley is a good playmaker, but her outside shooting has plummeted in the last two years with New York. And she is better suited as a combo guard off the bench -- someone who can give you 7-8 points and 3 assists in relief of the starting PG and/or SG.
  • As a rookie, Asia Durr showed promise as a complementary scorer, but her season was cut short by injury -- and she needs to be consistent with her three ball.
  • In 2019, Tina Charles went away from being a dominant post presence to drifting more on the perimeter and settling for mid-range jumpers and shots outside the paint. Charles' FG% plummeted to the worse numbers of her career - 38.9 percent from the floor, 18.6 percent from three. But here was no other consistent option in NY's frontcourt.
  • Kia Nurse improved from three (35.3 percent, nearly 2 made threes per game) and in her ability to score from the charity stripe (8th in the WNBA in made FTs per game, at 87.2 percent). But her overall shooting needs to improve (39.3 percent for 2019, 39.7 percent for her career).

While defense is not Sabrina Ionescu's biggest strength, her scoring, shooting, and playmaking abilities are. She brings her ability to facilitate the offense, while being a primary or secondary scorer as needed. She adds a dimension on offense that is sorely needed.

And let us not forget the ability of NY to market Ionescu (the most visible player in WCBB this year), with the return to NYC (and playing in Brooklyn).

New York would benefit by moving Tina Charles back to the five, but allowing her to occasionally roam to diversify the offense. Find a free agent PF (or someone can play PF who is 6-3/6-4) who can be more of an outside presence. Then put Nurse and Durr as perimeter guards, with Ionescu at the point.

Someone who fits NY needs and is an unrestricted free agent this year? DeWanna Bonner.

How did I do, @EricLA and @ucbart ? I kept it under 750 words!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The WNBA needs an exciting draw and team in NYC. Anything to prevent Sabrina from coming to NY should be voided by the commisioner. ;)

Reaction Score
Kalani Brown averaged those 5.1 points and 3.5 rebounds in 13.5 minutes per game (while shooting 47.8 percent from the floor and 78.3 percent from the foul line). In other words, she was productive in the limited minutes she received.

Why did she receive limited minutes? In terms of post options (PF/C players who primarily score in the paint or close to the basket), Los Angeles had Candace Parker, Nneka Ogwumike, Chiney Ogwumike, and Maria Vadeeva on the roster last season (Vadeeva played in approximately half of the games, as she missed time due to overseas commitments). Also, in games that I saw in person, Brown did not appear to be in the best basketball shape. A professional-level conditioning program would help to prepare her for the 2020 WNBA season.

First, the #1 pick has only been traded once -- in 2007, when the Phoenix Mercury traded #1 Lindsey Harding for Tangela Smith. The 2007 draft was considered to be fairly weak and the Mercury front office didn't feel that there was a player available that would put them over the top. Phoenix traded Harding in a draft day deal for Smith, to acquire a player necessary to put Phoenix (who had Diana Taurasi, Penny Taylor, Cappie Pondexter, and Kelly Miller) over the top. Smith was part of the Mercury's WNBA Championship teams in 2007 and 2009.

• 8th in PPG
  • 10th in FG% - .414
  • 8th in 3pt. FG% - .334

• 10th in opponents' FG%

What does this say? New York's offense was not very good, and the Liberty could not stop teams on the defensive end.

• Brittney Boyd is NY's best playmaker, but she cannot shoot from the outside (she has made a total of 31 three-point baskets in 128 career games), which makes her a liability on offense.
  • Bria Hartley is a good playmaker, but her outside shooting has plummeted in the last two years with New York. And she is better suited as a combo guard off the bench -- someone who can give you 7-8 points and 3 assists in relief of the starting PG and/or SG.
  • As a rookie, Asia Durr showed promise as a complementary scorer, but her season was cut short by injury -- and she needs to be consistent with her three ball.
  • In 2019, Tina Charles went away from being a dominant post presence to drifting more on the perimeter and settling for mid-range jumpers and shots outside the paint. Charles' FG% plummeted to the worse numbers of her career - 38.9 percent from the floor, 18.6 percent from three. But here was no other consistent option in NY's frontcourt.
  • Kia Nurse improved from three (35.3 percent, nearly 2 made threes per game) and in her ability to score from the charity stripe (8th in the WNBA in made FTs per game, at 87.2 percent). But her overall shooting needs to improve (39.3 percent for 2019, 39.7 percent for her career).

While defense is not Sabrina Ionescu's biggest strength, her scoring, shooting, and playmaking abilities are. She brings her ability to facilitate the offense, while being a primary or secondary scorer as needed. She adds a dimension on offense that is sorely needed.

And let us not forget the ability of NY to market Ionescu (the most visible player in WCBB this year), with the return to NYC (and playing in Brooklyn).

New York would benefit by moving Tina Charles back to the five, but allowing her to occasionally roam to diversify the offense. Find a free agent PF (or someone can play PF who is 6-3/6-4) who can be more of an outside presence. Then put Nurse and Durr as perimeter guards, with Ionescu at the point.

Someone who fits NY needs and is an unrestricted free agent this year? DeWanna Bonner.

Plus the Liberty, under new ownership, are moving into the Barclay Center in Brooklyn. They have to be looking forward to the splash of drafting a highly-publicized star #1 overall, to help them establish a new ‘local’ Brooklyn fan base and help recover their NY fan base from the Westchester disaster.

Reaction Score
Plus the Liberty, under new ownership, are moving into the Barclay Center in Brooklyn. They have to be looking forward to the splash of drafting a highly-publicized star #1 overall, to help them establish a new ‘local’ Brooklyn fan base and help recover their NY fan base from the Westchester disaster.

And maybe for a little extra splash, they could trade Durr + #13 pick for Diggins, if Dallas is looking to part ways with her. Diggins’ management is based in Brooklyn, so I’m sure they would love this move.

Mulder

Reaction Score
And maybe for a little extra splash, they could trade Durr + #13 pick for Diggins, if Dallas is looking to part ways with her. Diggins’ management is based in Brooklyn, so I’m sure they would love this move.

From the tenor of her tweets I get the impression Skylar wouldn't mind parting ways with the Dallas Wings.

Reaction Score
Plus I am sure she will sign with Nike as Phil Knight loves her. She plays in the arena he built to honor his son Matt. I can see them making Sabrina the Michael Jordan of the WNBA when it comes to the marketing, She also will probably be in the Olympics on the Team USA 3*3 team with the 2020 Olympics coming up. Timing is everything.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

• 8th in PPG
  • 10th in FG% - .414
  • 8th in 3pt. FG% - .334

• 10th in opponents' FG%

Great stuff Barry! But I counted 751 words. You are slippin, bro! ;)

Seriously, the Liberty should be a better team. Charles, Stokes, Zauie and Chinese center Xu all can anchor the post. Nurse, Durr, Hartley, Boyd, Wright - again, some pretty good guards. But as you pointed out, Durr, Hartley and Nurse are all better off the ball. I think taking Sabrina as the playmaker of the team gives them 3 things:
  1. A big name to market along Charles, Nurse and Durr
  2. A dynamic player who is just as capable of scoring as she is of dishing assists
  3. A tremendous competitor - fiery like Nurse. I think she would bring some serious toughness to the team
Bonner would be a great addition - she gives them something no one else on the team does. Not sure they need Gray, Johannes, Allen or Raincock, and after 13 years in the W, it might be time for Wright to retire... unless she's a better guard than Hartley. Bria needed some serious work on her shot in the off season.

Reaction Score
Not sure they need Gray, Johannes, Allen or Raincock, and after 13 years in the W, it might be time for Wright to retire... unless she's a better guard than Hartley. Bria needed some serious work on her shot in the off season.

Wright has already retired.

Johannes might be the best guard they have. I know the new head coach loves her. Hopefully she’ll be available for them, seeing that this is an Olympic year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom