Ryan Boatright | The Boneyard

Ryan Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I was watching the post game presser after the game last night, and I found myself begging for questions to be asked to Ryan. I know its not about individual accolades, but we all know how driven Ryan is to make it to the next level and all of the hardship hes gone through while he's worn a UConn uniform.

Last night Boatright was incredible. Daniels will get the press, Bazz will always get his as the face of this years team, but Ryan had a very similar line to Shabazz with less turnovers. He played damn near perfect.

And the TWO single biggest plays for my money in the last 10 min of the game were made by the show as we were trying to hang on.

1) The ISU run out that turned into a UConn run out (where Bazz had his pocket picked) that turned into an ISU run out. Boat stepped into the passing lane for a 2nd straight ISU turnover and kicked the ball up court immediately to a streaking T-Sam. HUGE 4 point turnaround when the wheels were starting to wobble.

2) The drive and kick to Giff for the answer onions 3 around 2 min. Perfect play making and finding the right guy at the right time.

The kid has been a monster. It wasn't the "Broadway Show" I was expecting, but I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the best games he's had for us.

Reaction Score
The kid has been a monster. It wasn't the "Broadway Show" I was expecting, but I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the best games he's had for us.

Both Ryan and Deandre will get their rewards if the level of play next year is anything approaching this. The team is in good hands with Samuel, Boatright, Brimah and Daniels anchoring things. Let's see what Facey, Hamilton, Purvis and Cassell bring to the mix. I hope to see the new and improved Omar Calhoun next season as well.

Reaction Score
And the TWO single biggest plays for my money in the last 10 min of the game were made by the show as we were trying to hang on.

1) The ISU run out that turned into a UConn run out (where Bazz had his pocket picked) that turned into an ISU run out. Boat stepped into the passing lane for a 2nd straight ISU turnover and kicked the ball up court immediately to a streaking T-Sam. HUGE 4 point turnaround when the wheels were starting to wobble.

2) The drive and kick to Giff for the answer onions 3 around 2 min. Perfect play making and finding the right guy at the right time.

Yup, if either (or both) of those plays go differently, we could be posting on a very different board this morning.

Boat has really impressed with me with his decision-making on offense lately. He's gotten a lot better at the drive-and-dish. Now the only thing left is to figure out how to draw foul calls at the rim.

caw

Reaction Score
I was watching the post game presser after the game last night, and I found myself begging for questions to be asked to Ryan. I know its not about individual accolades, but we all know how driven Ryan is to make it to the next level and all of the hardship hes gone through while he's worn a UConn uniform.

Last night Boatright was incredible. Daniels will get the press, Bazz will always get his as the face of this years team, but Ryan had a very similar line to Shabazz with less turnovers. He played damn near perfect.

Definitely agree. That Giffey three I saw as soon as Boat touched the ball. He seemed to be intent on drawing Giffeys defender a couple of steps away. It wasn't just the pass but the whole setup on that play that was fantastic. I'm so glad Boatright has gotten over WW2.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Now the only thing left is to figure out how to draw foul calls at the rim.

That's certainly not on him. He gets crushed, but the refs swallow their whistles. It's almost like they allow it because he's not a big dude. So strong though.

Reaction Score
the dish to Giffey for the corner 3 was damn near identical to the dish to Olander for 3 against MD in game 1, similar situations as well, great playmaking by Boat.

Reaction Score
You want to compliment him, well Ollie sat our hottest/best player for a long (and I mean Tournament long) time in the 1st half. With Boat we didn't miss Bazz. Boat was spectacular last night and he does equal Bazz in the testicular department. He started the game with absolutely no fear and played like a 4 year player all game. He cheers on TSam, Giffey, DD and of all the players he is the one appearing to have the most fun. Just watch him closely. He may jokingly say he has a Napoleon complex but in all ways he is Napolean.

Remember out of respect he is deferring to Bazz this year. The final 'unadulterated' package will be on display next season.

I hope Ollie continues to recruit City ballers as Calhoun did, or at least keep some sprinkled on the team. Bazz, Boat, Ben, Taliek, Jeff and others were tough as nails. Not at all saying suburban kids aren't strong its just that City kids have a little something extra, don't know exactly what it is but its there. Hell I just wish Boat would adopt Brimah and Nolan for this summer, and take them to Chi-Town, even if only for a month.

caw

Reaction Score
You want to compliment him, well Ollie sat our hottest/best player for a long (and I mean Tournament long) time in the 1st half. With Boat we didn't miss Bazz. Boat was spectacular last night and he does equal Bazz in the testicular department. He started the game with absolutely no fear and played like a 4 year player all game. He cheers on TSam, Giffey, DD and of all the players he is the one appearing to have the most fun. Just watch him closely. He may jokingly say he has a Napoleon complex but in all ways he is Napolean.

Remember out of respect he is deferring to Bazz this year. The final 'unadulterated' package will be on display next season.

I hope Ollie continues to recruit City ballers as Calhoun did, or at least keep some sprinkled on the team. Bazz, Boat, Ben, Taliek, Jeff and others were tough as nails. Not at all saying suburban kids aren't strong its just that City kids have a little something extra, don't know exactly what it is but its there. Hell I just wish Boat would adopt Brimah and Nolan for this summer, and take them to Chi-Town, even if only for a month.

Well Samuel is on the team for 3 more games this year and three years after. So city tough guard will be there. Prince Ali is from the Bronx also.

Reaction Score
I think its better for Boat to watch from the periphery and be reminded he is next in line. Come back next year, win, and it will be his turn to shine! He is playing great though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Boatright is very quietly having an excellent tournament.

yup, and he's mostly eliminated the groaner 3pt shots. Only one yesterday, and you can live with that, as it keeps him aggressive. He's playing smart.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You know he's having a good game when you realize there's 5 minutes left in the game and you haven't face palmed yourself once over his shot or pass selection.

His game has always teetered on trying to do too much or just enough. Right now he's found the perfect balance of just enough.

Reaction Score

I love how you point out that city kids have that something extra bc it's so true and I've always noticed it. I've had the opportunity to play with kids like Bazz (not skill wise) but in terms of mentality, and as a kid from the burbs I always wished I had it but its not something I could just imitate. My theory is that it's a mental edge that one gains through real hardship at a young age. Childhood and adolescent development has the greatest impact on an individuals psychological make-up more than any other developmental stage. Sometimes hardship can be extremely damaging to a person's psychology but if you are strong like Bazz and Boat I think the opposite happens...Pure Resilience and fearlessness.

Reaction Score
City-bred players get tough because they play on street surfaces strewn with pot holes. Suburban and small town gyms are immaculate and soft. The PGs dribble the ball tenderly for fear of ruining the polished floors.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
City-bred players get tough because they play on street surfaces strewn with pot holes. Suburban and small town gyms are immaculate and soft. The PGs dribble the ball tenderly for fear of ruining the polished floors.

Nah, it's the people man. Keeping the court in the city is no joke.

pj

Reaction Score
Both Ryan and Deandre will get their rewards if the level of play next year is anything approaching this. The team is in good hands with Samuel, Boatright, Brimah and Daniels anchoring things. Let's see what Facey, Hamilton, Purvis and Cassell bring to the mix. I hope to see the new and improved Omar Calhoun next season as well.

Boatright - Purvis - Hamilton - Daniels - Brimah backed up by Cassell - Samuel - Calhoun - Facey - Nolan (plus Tolksdorf and Lubin) is a pretty solid lineup. Hope Boat and Daniels come back.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Win or lose, he's only half way done with NY.

Reaction Score
I love how you point out that city kids have that something extra bc it's so true and I've always noticed it. I've had the opportunity to play with kids like Bazz (not skill wise) but in terms of mentality, and as a kid from the burbs I always wished I had it but its not something I could just imitate. My theory is that it's a mental edge that one gains through real hardship at a young age. Childhood and adolescent development has the greatest impact on an individuals psychological make-up more than any other developmental stage. Sometimes hardship can be extremely damaging to a person's psychology but if you are strong like Bazz and Boat I think the opposite happens...Pure Resilience and fearlessness.
A recipe for success: a few inner city kids, a 7footer from africa who has played organized ball for less than 5 years, and an isreali or a german............it has worked at uconn for 25 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom