Rx for next season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rx for next season

Reaction Score
I believe that Geno said Z would be the number 1 draft pick in 2019 (assuming she stays for both years).

I also think that Doris Burke and someone at ESPN.com (maybe Graham Hayes) said she would have been the best player in the country this season if she had played.

That's not purely Boneyard speculation.

We saw that she was impressive against UConn. We also know that she averaged almost 19 and 10 as a sophomore, earning AP Honorable Mention AA status. We know that she has practiced with UConn for about 10 months now, and some reports have said that she looks really, really good. I honestly don't expect her to be any better than Pheesa was this year. But if she is about as good, that would be wonderful.
She's taller and physically stronger than Pheesa, at least I'm inclined to think she's stronger.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit concerned about all of the expectations that we are putting on Azura Stevens for next year....all of this talk (which Geno kind of started) about her being a candidate for POY before she ever stepped on the court as a UConn player is a lot to live up to...if she just plays to the numbers she had at Duke I will be a happy camper as that will take some of the stress and strain off of the other starters leading to an almost unguardable starting five....
I'm not sure she would necessarily play the minutes to match those totals but as far as capability, I'm inclined to think she wouldn't have regressed. That bodes well for this team.

Reaction Score
Azura's sophomore stats:

25 games

31.2 mpg

.535 shooting

.358 3-point shooting (53 attempts)

.750 FT shooting

18.9 ppg

9.6 rpg

41 assists

53 blocks

32 steals
I could live with her replicating those numbers, though I'm not sure if she'll get quite as many minutes next year with the amount of talent that'll be on next years roster.

Reaction Score
A lot of people here ooh and aah about Nat when she first transferred, and even thought she will become AA at UConn. You just never know until they hit the floor at UConn.
Azura had two years at Duke and showed herself there against pretty significant competition. The same couldn't be said about Natalie. Agility is one of Nat's weaknesses that can't be overcome. A great kid, though.

Reaction Score
I thought I read somewhere butler said she dominates Stevens in practuce.

Could be... may be it's like in golf, some people can look like world beater in practice round, but can't perform to the same level when the pressure is on.

Reaction Score
Doesnt UConn need more intense defense at the guard positions?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And I read somewhere that Sarah Palin can see Russia from Alaska. Does that make it so?
Her saying it's possible (she didn't say she could) doesn't make it true. However, it is true. The distance between the Diomede Islands is only about 2.5 miles. The Big Diomede Island being in Russia and the Little Diomede Island being in Alaska. On a clear day of course.

In fact during most winters, an ice bridge forms between the two islands and one could walk from Alaska to Russia (or vice versa). Although that would be illegal.

Reaction Score
Azura had two years at Duke and showed herself there against pretty significant competition. The same couldn't be said about Natalie. Agility is one of Nat's weaknesses that can't be overcome. A great kid, though.
I believe that Geno said Z would be the number 1 draft pick in 2019 (assuming she stays for both years).

I also think that Doris Burke and someone at ESPN.com (maybe Graham Hayes) said she would have been the best player in the country this season if she had played.

That's not purely Boneyard speculation.

We saw that she was impressive against UConn. We also know that she averaged almost 19 and 10 as a sophomore, earning AP Honorable Mention AA status. We know that she has practiced with UConn for about 10 months now, and some reports have said that she looks really, really good. I honestly don't expect her to be any better than Pheesa was this year. But if she is about as good, that would be wonderful.

don't mean to be a downer here but Stevens also has an injury history which needs to be managed........I would hate to have her play some spectacular ball only to see her sidelined for important games next season.........the good news is as far as we know she survived an entire year of practices without significant difficulties..............

"She played well at times, then she had the injury with the plantar fascia. That was extremely distressing for her to have that" quote from McCallie.......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn often doesn't have traditional positions. As long as they can all pass and play defense, it doesn't matter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
it's coming next year with Mikayla Coombs....wouldn't be surprised if she plays a role as Geno's "cooler" next season...
Yeah, and Meg has the size and athleticism to defend as well. Mikayla is like a larger Lorin Dixon.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and Meg has the size and athleticism to defend as well. Mikayla is like a larger Lorin Dixon.

Having all of those additional athletes and fouls to give is going to be a great "problem" for Geno to deal with..............

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted or not but it's a interesting look at Camara and Stevens and there thoughts on the final four loss. Also says Stevens likely to start next year, so it kind of puts The Who's going to start between Z vs CD next year to bed.

http://dailycampus.com/stories/2017...ra-look-to-channel-upset-loss-into-motivation
Page has apparently been removed from the "Daily Campus" site.....??

Hmmmm.... I did a search on the Daily Campus site ("Azura Steves Batouly Camara") and found the article. But when I tried to link it here it gets the same (non-) result. So just do that search once you get to the site I guess.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
And I read somewhere that Sara Palin can see Russia from Alaska. Does that make it so?
The Russian island of Big Diomede is less than 4 kilometers from the US island of Little Diomede. So Sara was correct.

JS

Reaction Score
Page has apparently been removed from the "Daily Campus" site.....??

Hmmmm.... I did a search on the Daily Campus site ("Azura Steves Batouly Camara") and found the article. But when I tried to link it here it gets the same (non-) result. So just do that search once you get to the site I guess.
Best you can do for Azura/Batouly article without a search:

Daily Campus UConn Women articles→ scroll down to fifth article

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom