Rutty is 4-0... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rutty is 4-0...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we ran the same offense we did against Arkansas against Tulane we would have put up 40 on Tulane easily. This game worries me as always, UConn always has a good defense. IMO UConn needs to keep it low scoring, they would not be able to win in a shootout. That seems to be how these games shake out every year anyway.

Both teams always show up ready to go. Last year was a rarity. I think our offense can play at a better level than they have IMO.

Reaction Score
Both teams always show up ready to go. Last year was a rarity. I think our offense can play at a better level than they have IMO.
You have the playmakers on D for sure, Smallwood reminds me a lot of Khaseem Greene. Wish we had a pass rusher like Williams as well, we get a lot of pressure on the QB from our LB's and DB's. Don't know too much about your offense but always thought Mccombs was a solid back.

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
If we ran the same offense we did against Arkansas against Tulane we would have put up 40 on Tulane easily. This game worries me as always, UConn always has a good defense. IMO UConn needs to keep it low scoring, they would not be able to win in a shootout. That seems to be how these games shake out every year anyway.

Also Tulane lost their 5th yr Sr starting QB in the 2nd game of the season as well as a load of defensive and offensive starters after our game (for our game only their starting HB and starting MLB were out)... Tulane is a TOTALLY different (and much weaker) team now then we faced...

Also if you watchd our Howard and Tulane games (I don't blame you if you didn't) our offensive play calling was pretty much run on 1st and 2nd down with screen pass, WR lateral/long bomb on 3rd down... we didn't try anything over the middle or greater than 5yds unless it was a long bomb (which we kept missing on)... Our O was VERY vanilla the first two games on purpose where our D was made to win the game for us while we gave future opponents very little to prepare for as we worked out the kinks with our run game... That changed vs USF and Arkansas where we aired out the ball more with all types of passes... First two games every single throw was a screen, backwards pass to a WR or a playaction long bomb... that wasn't the case AT ALL @USF and @Arkansas...

Arkansas had their 1st rd NFL QB Tyler Wilson out for half of the ULM (sun-belt team) game and were up 27-7 before Tyler Wilson came out from concussion... Wilson didn't play the Alabama game or the latter half of the ULM game... Arkansas played at full strength on offense vs Rutgers with Tyler Wilson at QB... Also Arky had a starting CB, S and LB and 2 FBs out for the season due to injury from the ULM game onward... Also I think their starting NFL TE was out after the 1st quarter of the Rutgers game and is still out... They've been plagued by injuries and have depth to back it up (surprising for a supposed "power" SEC team)...

Reaction Score
Whitmer has grown every game as a passer. He has good pocket presence ( he's gonna need it) and throws a nice ball. Lyle just needs a hole to run through really and use him a little more outside. I think he would be great catching a screen our a ball in the flat too. Our O line has improved little. Although they didn't give up a sack last week though.

The D is the D. Your going to get blitzes from everywhere.

Reaction Score
Whitmer has grown every game as a passer. He has good pocket presence ( he's gonna need it) and throws a nice ball. Lyle just needs a hole to run through really and use him a little more outside. I think he would be great catching a screen our a ball in the flat too. Our O line has improved little. Although they didn't give up a sack last week though.

The D is the D. Your going to get blitzes from everywhere.
From what I remember Whitmer was a pretty big recruit out of HS

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
You have the playmakers on D for sure, Smallwood reminds me a lot of Khaseem Greene. Wish we had a pass rusher like Williams as well, we get a lot of pressure on the QB from our LB's and DB's. Don't know too much about your offense but always thought Mccombs was a solid back.

We get our best pass rusher back from injury for the UConn game... Marvin Booker whom is a hybrid LB/DE which we call the rush end position (RE)... We get the following players back from injury/other reasons for the UConn game: 1RE Booker, 1 DE Isaaca, 1 DE/DT Larrow, 1 DT/NT Kirksey, HB Huggins, HB James

BUT we lose for the season our starting NT Holmes and backup NT Page and 3rd string NT Stephenson along with starting FB Michael Burton... We will be using DT/NT Vallone (was starting 3T-DT), and DT/NT Kirksey at NT...

We should be rotating the following at RE:
RE Marvin Booker
RE Kal'ial Glaud
RE Quinton Gause

We should be rotating the following at 3T-DT:

DT/NT Scott Vallone
DT/NT Kenneth Kirksey
DT Darius Hamilton
DE/DT Jamil Merrell
DE/DT Michael Larrow

We should be rotating the following at 1T-NT:

DT/NT Scott Vallone
DT/NT Kenneth Kirksey
We should be rotating the following at 5T-DE:
DE Marcus Thompson
DE/DT Jamil Merrell
DE/DT Michael Larrow
DE Max Isaaca

As you can see other than NT we are fine on DL quality depth... but losing 1st, 2nd and 3rd string NTs for the season to injury will do that... Our run D might be a little worse and we might get less of a push up the middle because of this however our pass rush should be MUCH better on the outside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom