Rutgers Technical foul | The Boneyard

Rutgers Technical foul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was at game but did not get info on pregame technical..Can anyone give me some help on this?

Reaction Score
I watch uconn dunk ..I thought that rule was history..

thanks and regards

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

thanks and regards

The announcers were saying in the game it depends when they dunk. There's a certain point at which they have to stop dunking. Still a stupid rule.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

thanks and regards

It's after a certain point in time that you can't dunk. The announcers said something about once the refs take the court.

Stupid rule nonetheless.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Almost as embarrassing and silly as when Blaney got a T a few years ago for not having the starting line up turned in on time.

Reaction Score
aceboon said:
I think the rule is you can't dunk once the referees take the floor.

That is my understanding as well, or it could just be that the players disregard the rule when the refs are not on the floor yet?

Reaction Score
the literal rule is 'a team member dunking or attempting to dunk a dead ball before or
during the game, or during any intermission'

refs cant call a T if they dont see it, so i guess before the game officially starts when the stripes hit the court. you will notice a point in pregame routine where the players look like theyre going to dunk but lay it in without touching the rim

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Almost as embarrassing and silly as when Blaney got a T a few years ago for not having the starting line up turned in on time.

I remember a Mets game when former bench coach Bobby Wine was ejected from the game for that same reason.

Reaction Score
the literal rule is 'a team member dunking or attempting to dunk a dead ball before or

refs cant call a T if they dont see it, so i guess before the game officially starts when the stripes hit the court. you will notice a point in pregame routine where the players look like theyre going to dunk but lay it in without touching the rim

Hmmm, so a ref could lurk and wait for teams to start dunking, then run on the court and say, "Gotcha!"

Reaction Score
No, refs can't lurk. They enter the floor as a group, and they leave the floor as a group, just like the teams are supposed to do.

msgordon has it right, the refs have to see it (just like any other call). I've seen the refs distracted and talking to a coach when a player dunked during warmups. Everyone heard it, half the gym saw it, but the refs didn't see who did it, so they couldn't assess a technical.

Reaction Score
I saw it and said to the people around me- they're gonna get T'd up for that! Everyone had a good chuckle, but then Bazz was at the line before they jumped it. This IS a rule and DOES happen. It's pretty rare but I've seen it a half dozen times or so, not sure why people are acting like this is the first time it's happened.

Reaction Score
[URL='http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/24/oregon-state-freshman-gets-technical-for-dunking-pregame-beavers-lose-by-1-to-cal/']Oregon State freshman gets technical for dunking pregame, Beavers lose by 1 to Cal
Daniel Martin

Feb 24, 2013, 10:49 AM EST

Leave a comment
screen-shot-2013-02-24-at-10-47-57-am.png
AP
Olaf Schaftenaar was making the first start of his career Saturday for Oregon State after averaging 4.0 points and 1.2 rebounds per game off the bench to begin the year. But before his day against Cal could officially start, he made a mistake.

In pregame layup lines, Schaftenaar dunked which, as harmless as it may sound, is a technical foul. Cal’s Allen Crabbe was given two free throws and he hit one of two. That made the score 1-0 when the game tipped off moments later.

For much of the game, the miscue did not seem to matter. Cal led by nine points at halftime and pushed the lead to as much as 13 in the second half. But then the Beavers came back.

Ahmad Starks and Joe Burton led an Oregon State comeback that gave the Beavers a chance to win, down 60-59 with possession of the ball and four seconds remaining. OSU inbounded to Starks, who had to dribble the length of the floor and fire a three from the left wing that was no good. One point loss, 60-59.[/URL]

Reaction Score
UConn usually has a grad assistant standing by the entrance to see when the refs come on the floor and to alert the players. There's definitely a difference in how the players warm up when the refs get out on the floor.

Reaction Score
UConn usually has a grad assistant standing by the entrance to see when the refs come on the floor and to alert the players. There's definitely a difference in how the players warm up when the refs get out on the floor.

I was just going to post this too. Most schools do this. The officials have certain times they need to be on the court. You'll notice they come out, leave, and come back out. The second time they come out is for the captain's meeting, check the line ups, etc.

Reaction Score

Ha! I had this happen during half time of a pretty hotly contested hs game a few years ago. Two HUGE rivals, we were addressing something with the coaches and the table just before the end of halftime and a kid dunked. None of us saw it, I thought I had heard it, but couldn't be sure. An assistant did see it. He hit the roof. We almost hit him with a T for unsportsmanlike conduct but thought better of it. We wanted to get out of there alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RollSkis

Top Bottom