Rutgers stadium is a joke | The Boneyard

Rutgers stadium is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone made the trip down or not, but seemed like several people in the UConn section had seats that didn't exist. When we asked the ushers one of them said, "believe it or not this happens a lot." They had about 3-4 extra tickets per row, so if a row ended at seat 9, people were given seat numbers to 11, 12, or 13

I have to give credit to their crowd, they were loud all game, but the amount of microphones they must have near the student section and band to pump that noise even louder was pretty obvious ( not sure how it sounded on tv ).

No beer in stadium

Don't get me started on the parking / shuttle bus nightmare.

Overall that place makes the rent look like heaven, won't be going back unless its a matchup of two top 25 teams. Will the way we look that means I won't be going back until, we'll I won't be going back ever.

Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone made the trip down or not, but seemed like several people in the UConn section had seats that didn't exist. When we asked the ushers one of them said, "believe it or not this happens a lot." They had about 3-4 extra tickets per row, so if a row ended at seat 9, people were given seat numbers to 11, 12, or 13

I have to give credit to their crowd, they were loud all game, but the amount of microphones they must have near the student section and band to pump that noise even louder was pretty obvious ( not sure how it sounded on tv ).

No beer in stadium

Don't get me started on the parking / shuttle bus nightmare.

Overall that place makes the rent look like heaven, won't be going back unless its a matchup of two top 25 teams. Will the way we look that means I won't be going back until, we'll I won't be going back ever.

Rutgers DOES NOT put a microphone in front of their student section or band. Never has, never will. That's bush league stuff BC does.

It just sounded that way, because of 11,000 students being nice and loud. When you have that many there scraming their heads off, you don't need a microphone.

And having been to your place on the runway, thank you but I'll take our setting and atmosphere over yours every day.

Reaction Score
I was at the game yesterday with my daughter and I saw the seat debacle. I was in row 12 of our section. So ridiculous. Funniest moment of the day? Came over the GWB and my 12 year old accuses me of farting. Hehe, no that's just Jersey.

Reaction Score
I was at the game yesterday with my daughter and I saw the seat debacle. I was in row 12 of our section. So ridiculous. Funniest moment of the day? Came over the GWB and my 12 year old accuses me of farting. Hehe, no that's just Jersey.

Reaction Score
If Rutgers doesn't put a microphone in front of the band why was it so loud all game, but during the half time performance you couldn't hear the trumpet player? 11k students making noise I'll give you, but I don't think the trumpet or tuba players blew harder during the game than they did at halftime Jersey trash. Got hit a tanning bed

Reaction Score
Agree with the above- no chance that the band was not on a microphone during the game.

As far as getting out, think it depends where you went. We parked in the Church lot some had recommended- took a right out of there and were on the highway in three minutes.

Reaction Score
I actually kind of liked what they've done with the stadium itself. It was my first trip there since ND played there in late 1990s. Very easy access to bathrooms/concessions. And despite all the warnings about fan behavior, I found 99 percent of Rutgers fans to be fine, certainly no worse behaved than the Rent

But the parking "system" is beyond brutal and makes the Rent's seem like clockwork. The plan was to park in Johnson Park. After clear sailing thru Jersey hit River Road at 9:30. Waited 45 minutes in line that was caused by an unnecessary bottleneck at the light where you make a left turn into the park - nothing worse than watching cop sit by the traffic light controller and do nothing. That, plus it seemed like it took 2-3 minutes to park each individual car. Five cars before entering lot they closed off the parking, despite the acres of open space nearby.

Up to the RAC we went, passing tons of unused parking lots and plenty of open space. It was interesting that while Michigan and Notre Dame parks cars on their golf courses, Rutty doesn't, despite the fact the course is not much better than your average public track. As we hit the RAC, we hit another bottleneck and another poorly monitored parking lot. God bless the Explorers for helping, but a little professional oversight to create a smooth flow into the lot would have helped. Some people were ignoring the kids directions which slowed things further. The shuttle from RAC to the game did work OK but post-game got back to the lot quicker walking than if I had waited for the shuttle. (Actually kind of needed the walk to cool off mentally). And exiting was easy.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure we mic our band, but definitely not our students. Unfortunate if that is what happened with the visitors and invisble tickets, but I don't feel too much sympathy because you're the visitors lol. I never experience gameday traffic because I get to stadiums 3-4 hours early usually. I've been to the rent and not to be a homer but our stadium is much more asethically pleasing. No, we don't sell beer...yet, but we recently improved our concessions this year and a quick tip for the future. Use the bathrooms where our huge scoreboard is. They built a ton of them over there and you'll get in and out in 5 minutes. Looking forward to visiting UCONN next year. Hope you guys win the rest of your games!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I actually kind of liked what they've done with the stadium itself. It was my first trip there since ND played there in late 1990s. Very easy access to bathrooms/concessions. And despite all the warnings about fan behavior, I found 99 percent of Rutgers fans to be fine, certainly no worse behaved than the Rent

But the parking "system" is beyond brutal and makes the Rent's seem like clockwork. The plan was to park in Johnson Park. After clear sailing thru Jersey hit River Road at 9:30. Waited 45 minutes in line that was caused by an unnecessary bottleneck at the light where you make a left turn into the park - nothing worse than watching cop sit by the traffic light controller and do nothing. That, plus it seemed like it took 2-3 minutes to park each individual car. Five cars before entering lot they closed off the parking, despite the acres of open space nearby.

Up to the RAC we went, passing tons of unused parking lots and plenty of open space. It was interesting that while Michigan and Notre Dame parks cars on their golf courses, Rutty doesn't, despite the fact the course is not much better than your average public track. As we hit the RAC, we hit another bottleneck and another poorly monitored parking lot. God bless the Explorers for helping, but a little professional oversight to create a smooth flow into the lot would have helped. Some people were ignoring the kids directions which slowed things further. The shuttle from RAC to the game did work OK but post-game got back to the lot quicker walking than if I had waited for the shuttle. (Actually kind of needed the walk to cool off mentally). And exiting was easy.

Weird timing on that comment about Rutger's golf course. It's actually one of the best in the country. Apparently they have an agriculture program and they grow some interesting grass hybrid's (Cue the Caddyshack jokes).

http://www.pga.com/yahoo/golf-courses/quick-nine/quick-nine-americas-best-college-courses

6. Rutgers University Golf Course, New Brunswick, N.J.
Over 6,300 yards in length, the picturesque, tree-lined course is a par 71 and offers a challenging layout with four teeing areas per hole. Highlights include narrow fairways, fast greens and water hazards on nine holes.
The 18-hole Rutgers University Golf Course is open to the general public. Founded in 1963, the course is located on Rutgers University's Busch Campus in Piscataway. The mission of the course is to ensure that every player enjoys a timely round of golf played on superior fairways and true greens with uncompromising service and instruction.
Facebook fan quotes:
"Rutgers is on there because of their amazing turf science program at the agricultural college... some of the best kept grass on the east coast." -- Scott Holcombe
"I agree with USF the claw for the fact that it is one of the tightest tracks in NCAA but, honestly, Rutgers University has one of the nicest 18-hole par 71's that I have ever played. They run a phenomenal turf management program and spend a lot of time and effort on the course. I have crisscrossed the country for NCAA golf and can honestly say that Rutgers will forever be one of the nicest in my book!" -- David Bradshaw

Reaction Score
I wish I'd have bought the clubs. . . would have had more fun. Should have said "didn't seem to be much better than" your average muni. Certainly didn't mean to imply it was a cow pasture. Got a good upclose view on long walk back to RAC.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure we mic our band, but definitely not our students. Unfortunate if that is what happened with the visitors and invisble tickets, but I don't feel too much sympathy because you're the visitors lol. I never experience gameday traffic because I get to stadiums 3-4 hours early usually. I've been to the rent and not to be a homer but our stadium is much more asethically pleasing.

It is true the Rent is very spartan in appearance but the state built it to be a multi-use stadium.One of the great things about the design is there is not a bad seat in the stadium. The plus is UConn doesn't owe any money on it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What exactly is so beautiful about Rutty Stadium?

Reaction Score
Agree with the above- no chance that the band was not on a microphone during the game.

As far as getting out, think it depends where you went. We parked in the Church lot some had recommended- took a right out of there and were on the highway in three minutes.

We were at the church also. Easy out and walk to stadium. Small tailgate area but that's ok. Don't need much room to open up a bottle of single malt. :)

I had no issues with the stadium. Like that it is closed in. Felt a lot like MD. Would love ours closed in but don't see that happening for a long time.

Reaction Score
Rutgers Stadium and Noise Factor:

Here's the real story about the noise, the micing, etc. at Rutgers Stadium:

The band IS mic'd. The system features six shotgun mics for the band going through the main array, which is on either side of the jumbotron. That presents a severe feedback potential problem, and there were many times when low freq feedback was present. The system was originally my design, and I'll try to get the electrician crew to adjust the EQ before 'Cuse to cut out that lo-freq fb.

The students are NOT mic'd or amplified. Period. They're loud and proud, and their section was extended last weekend as more than 10,000 applied for tickets.

The stadium is designed for more expansion as time and attendance indicates might be necessary. Seating now at 56,000+ but could easily become well over 80,000 with completion of second level seating on both ends. Could happen.

Rutgers does not serve beer in the stadium, which is probably a good thing. We won the ESPN Tailgate competition last year, and there is plenty available out there. Beer in the stadium might lead to people throwing beer during a game, as UConn fans did onto our band last year. That led to UConn's band being uninvited to NJ this year. Think about it.

The Rent is a good stadium, nice sightlines, and an excellent sound system. UConn, like Rutgers, has its up and down years, but the several years of sold-out home games still holds the record for the northeast. Congrats, UConn.

Reaction Score
Rutgers Stadium and Noise Factor:

Here's the real story about the noise, the micing, etc. at Rutgers Stadium:

The band IS mic'd. The system features six shotgun mics for the band going through the main array, which is on either side of the jumbotron. That presents a severe feedback potential problem, and there were many times when low freq feedback was present. The system was originally my design, and I'll try to get the electrician crew to adjust the EQ before 'Cuse to cut out that lo-freq fb.

For what it's worth, I am pretty sure UConn's band is mic'd at the Rent too. The funny thing is that I am pretty sure RU fans have commented in the past about the band being mic'd at the Rent and how that would never happen at RU's stadium. I don't see a problem with it at all. If you are seated on the same side as the band it's hard to hear them so I think a band being mic'd is good. It has no impact on a visiting team given that a team's band can't play during a play anyway. I almost wish UConn's band was in a direct endzone section so that the whole stadium could hear them but I get that it is not ideal from a student section perspective.

As far as beer being served...I don't think RU even has that option assuming the RU stadium is considered "on campus" which I believe it is. Not having beer served at your games is probably a good thing....it would probably be a good thing at UConn games too but it probably will not change.

Reaction Score
Rutger's band was at the Rent last year? Where the heck were they sitting? I don't ever recall seeing their band.

Reaction Score
apparently they were covered by a hail of froth and blue solo cups.

Scarlet voice is full of carp. Rutgers' band has never been to the Rent.

Reaction Score
I guess that's an interesting stadium expansion strategy. Instead of adding more seats, sell more tickets to seats that don't exist.

Reaction Score
As far as beer being served...I don't think RU even has that option assuming the RU stadium is considered "on campus" which I believe it is. Not having beer served at your games is probably a good thing....it would probably be a good thing at UConn games too but it probably will not change.

There is no rule against serving beer at on campus arenas, nor even on campus at all. There are plenty of on campus pubs all over the country.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The students are NOT mic'd or amplified. Period. They're loud and proud.

But have they been described by a Big 12 beat writer as "rivaling the best of the Big 12 student sections"? UConn's have.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is no rule against serving beer at on campus arenas, nor even on campus at all. There are plenty of on campus pubs all over the country.

Exactly. For example, they sell beer at the USF on-campus basketball arena. Of course, the only folks I saw in line were UConn fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom