Rutgers @ Maryland (4) - 12/31/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rutgers @ Maryland (4) - 12/31/18

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was there. What stood out from the stats was Rutgers took 17 more shots than Maryland. What stood out from being there was Maryland being very slow in the backcourt. Rutgers literally got every 50-50 ball in the game. I'm sure your board would love this but Brenda really got outcoached this afternoon.
Honestly, I don't dislike Brenda. Still not thrilled with how the whole Laura Harper situation went down, but that's really ancient history. I do find her pre game and half time pep talks cloying and uninspired, but she gets a fair amount out of her teams and has consistently been a fixture in the national picture for many years. It's hard to have that kind of staying power. Certainly UCONN, Notre Dame, Stanford, probably Baylor, but that's about it for teams that are consistently in the top 10 year in and year out.

Sure they might have a down year or 2, but they build themselves back up, unlike Duke who has pretty much disappeared from the national scene. Tennessee seems to be on the comeback trail too.

Reaction Score
I was there. What stood out from the stats was Rutgers took 17 more shots than Maryland. What stood out from being there was Maryland being very slow in the backcourt. Rutgers literally got every 50-50 ball in the game. I'm sure your board would love this but Brenda really got outcoached this afternoon.
I was at the game too. From my perspective, it just looked like the RU players wanted it more. This is the best I have seen us play so far this season. I expected us to be better on defense than MD, but I couldn't believe how well we rebounded today and our offense was clicking, which often isn't the case. We had 7 different players hit 3's. I don't remember ever seeing that happen with an RU team before. I was really happy today with our effort and execution of Coach's game plan.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
In the final Big Ten tilt of the day, Indiana prevailed over Penn State, 83-75, in a game that was nip and tuck until the 4th quarter. It was also an ugly game: a total of 55 fouls were called, 34 of them on Penn State.

Penn State always seems like they should be better than their results. Teniya Page is one heckuva player (she had 24 in this game), and their other players are talented as well.

Indiana was led by two transfers, Ali Patberg (26 points) and Brenna Wise (20).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Head Coach Brenda Frese Opening Statement:

"I thought we got beat by a better team today. This team came into our building and competed for 40 minutes. They came out and shot the ball extremely well to start the game. They beat us in the paint, they beat us off the glass, and off of turnovers. Their game plan and scouting report against us was very scout specific. They earned a great win. There are valuable lessons for us to be able to learn in December that I think we can take moving forward to help us to improve and help us to get a lot better."

On rebounding issues:

"It's not a surprise to me, that this presented itself. This is something we've been talking about for a really long time. I knew at some point that it was going to catch us. We've always outtalented people, and this has been an Achilles heel in our practice for a really long time. The ability for us to have that discipline and be able to box out is where it's at. It's not going to change moving forward with the amount of talent and teams we're going to face. We have to make a decision that we're going to fix that piece that's being exposed, or it's going to continue to rear it's ugly head."

More here: (PDF) - University of Maryland Athletics

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Head Coach Brenda Frese Opening Statement:

"I thought we got beat by a better team today. This team came into our building and competed for 40 minutes. They came out and shot the ball extremely well to start the game. They beat us in the paint, they beat us off the glass, and off of turnovers. Their game plan and scouting report against us was very scout specific. They earned a great win. There are valuable lessons for us to be able to learn in December that I think we can take moving forward to help us to improve and help us to get a lot better."

On rebounding issues:

"It's not a surprise to me, that this presented itself. This is something we've been talking about for a really long time. I knew at some point that it was going to catch us. We've always outtalented people, and this has been an Achilles heel in our practice for a really long time. The ability for us to have that discipline and be able to box out is where it's at. It's not going to change moving forward with the amount of talent and teams we're going to face. We have to make a decision that we're going to fix that piece that's being exposed, or it's going to continue to rear it's ugly head."

More here: (PDF) - University of Maryland Athletics
Does anyone in the Maryland athletic department have a spell-checker?

"They were more physical than us and they never let up defensively. They made us expose our
shot selection. We took very quick shots instead of driving the basketball and being aggressive.
They had a really good game plan of the shooters to guard and who to step off of, and really
made us take some uncharatiristc shots".

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Thank you. I did not know that about Walz and Maryland. I remember when they won it all but I heard only about the head coach.
Or so they say. I don't like Brenda's style, and the comments about her "speeches" seems accurate. There was a program quite a few years ago, called something like "Under the Shell" that followed the women's team. Very interesting, so far as it went, but what i call a true Rah-Rah style coach (Peck was another one).

She is a good recruiter. She has had strong assistants at times. To whatever extent, head coaches always need the right assistants for them to be successful.

Very happy for Rutgers.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
So very proud of this team. I knew we had the potential to be really good, and I think this is a big step in that direction. We are finally getting healthy and are starting to gel. We are still missing Sanders and have not heard a timeline for when she'll be back either. However, Cryor, who missed 8 games due to a violation of team rules has been playing great since her return. Calhoun, I believe is fighting a finger injury, so her shooting slump could be because of that.

And then we have Noga, so I believe is a gem. Her three shots late in the game was clutch.

Onto Brown Friday, and then Penn State on Sunday. :)

Reaction Score
Brenda has been outcoached for 10+ years. Everyone knows Walz won the National Championship. Frese is just a great recruiter , cannot coach.
I think you are being unfair to Brenda. She may not be as good as Geno, but she has won a lot of games both with and without Walz. Her ability to recruit has made it possible to win those games, but to be fair, none of the great coaches would be where they are without the ability to recruit top talent. Walz is an excellent coach too, but he still hasn't won the big one as a head coach and Brenda gets to claim that NCAA Championship as head coach. A lot of assistants draw up plays, but it is up to the head coach to decide which plays are run. I don't think her game plan was that bad today, she just ran into a team that was really focused and executing better than her team did. Her team is very young and very talented. I believe they will continue to improve under her leadership.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don't dislike Brenda. Still not thrilled with how the whole Laura Harper situation went down, but that's really ancient history. I do find her pre game and half time pep talks cloying and uninspired, but she gets a fair amount out of her teams and has consistently been a fixture in the national picture for many years. It's hard to have that kind of staying power. Certainly UCONN, Notre Dame, Stanford, probably Baylor, but that's about it for teams that are consistently in the top 10 year in and year out.

Sure they might have a down year or 2, but they build themselves back up, unlike Duke who has pretty much disappeared from the national scene. Tennessee seems to be on the comeback trail too.

Tough to win games when all you play are cupcakes. Best to have some competition before you have to face someone who hits back. You're correct that the Terps have stayed in the national picture for a while; they get tremendous talent because of the team's proximity to DC. But the measure of teams like MD is how well talent is utilized (or if key players don't transfer). As someone who lives in the state, I consider Brenda's body of work disappointing. However, if your criteria include just "being there," the team is that--there.

Reaction Score
I think you are being unfair to Brenda. She may not be as good as Geno, but she has won a lot of games both with and without Walz. Her ability to recruit has made it possible to win those games, but to be fair, none of the great coaches would be where they are without the ability to recruit top talent. Walz is an excellent coach too, but he still hasn't won the big one as a head coach and Brenda gets to claim that NCAA Championship as head coach. A lot of assistants draw up plays, but it is up to the head coach to decide which plays are run. I don't think her game plan was that bad today, she just ran into a team that was really focused and executing better than her team did. Her team is very young and very talented. I believe they will continue to improve under her leadership.

Drawing up a play is the tip of the iceberg, Walz ran practice and did most of the game strategy. Maryland WBB is known for bad ball handling and poor defense ever since Frese became the coach.

Sure, she has won a lot of games. How many wins were against top 10 teams? Her non-conference schedule with one or two exceptions is pathetic.

Reaction Score
Why didn't Maryland drop in the coaches poll after this loss?

I kinda wonder if they balloted the votes a day early because of the holiday, so yesterday’s games weren’t factored in. Minnesota rose in the coaches poll, and Michigan didn’t receive any votes despite looking worthy of some.

Reaction Score

Well, when was the last time Brenda outcoached someone?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom