Round 2 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Round 2

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't like the overly physical, hands all over you constantly defensive style of WVU. Glad they lost. They made it tough, but I just don't respect that brand of basketball. Never have and never will.

Clark with yet another record, single season scoring.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
And the NCAA breaths a sigh of relief as the ticket sales in Albany will be bolstered by Iowa not getting upset by West Virginia. Iowa looks shaky though. Clark with more turnovers than assists tonight. Defenses get better the deeper they go.

Reaction Score
Sweet 16
Min-Max Teams

PAC 4-6
ACC 3
SEC 2
B12 2-3
BiG 2
Oth 1-2

Reaction Score
That was a valiant effort by WVU, but they were never walking out of there with a victory.

I’m old enough to remember the Kings-Lakers series that was decided by the officials. This may have been worse.

It also would be nice if ESPN had any broadcasters willing to call out the poor state of officiating in the women’s game. Then again, Stephanie White was outright rooting for Iowa tonight, so it’s no surprise she stayed silent.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I’m old enough to remember the Kings-Lakers series that was decided by the officials. This may have been worse.
Um...nope. One was the most blatant cheating by refs in history. The other was a team who fouls on every possession, and you get to pick and choose which ones you are actually going to call. Could've been whistled for twice as many as they actually were.

Reaction Score
Um...nope. One was the most blatant cheating by refs in history. The other was a team who fouls on every possession, and you get to pick and choose which ones you are actually going to call. Could've been whistled for twice as many as they actually were.
lol, nope.

West Virginia was definitely the more physical team, so it makes sense that Iowa shot more free throws. But it should not have been anywhere close to a 28-5 discrepancy.

When you have the likes of Bill Simmons, Damian Lillard, et al tweeting about WVU getting hosed by the officials, you know it was bad.

Reaction Score
lol, nope.

West Virginia was definitely the more physical team, so it makes sense that Iowa shot more free throws. But it should not have been anywhere close to a 28-5 discrepancy.

When you have the likes of Bill Simmons, Damian Lillard, et al tweeting about WVU getting hosed by the officials, you know it was bad.
30-5 was the final margin. Be nice to know what MTSU and West Virginia could have done playing 5 on 5.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Here's what I saw: WVU had a hand on every ball handler and every cutter all game long. That's a foul. Got away with it most of the time.

This FT discrepancy wasn't any worse than LSU yesterday (37-9) or 1st Round (31-8). Were you equally concerned about either of those games?

Regardless, nothing I've ever seen compares to Kings-Lakers Game 6. That absolutely was a fixed game, and I'm sure it came directly from David Stern.

Reaction Score
Here's what I saw: WVU had a hand on every ball handler and every cutter all game long. That's a foul. Got away with it most of the time.

This FT discrepancy wasn't any worse than LSU yesterday (37-9) or 1st Round (31-8). Were you equally concerned about either of those games?

Regardless, nothing I've ever seen compares to Kings-Lakers Game 6. That absolutely was a fixed game, and I'm sure it came directly from David Stern.
As a matter of fact, yes. I found those FT discrepancies concerning, especially when you factor in the storylines that come with a potential LSU-Iowa rematch.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did I see Fair moved to #3 on the all time scoring list?

edit--yes indeed I did; kinda crazy to see 2 players climb to #1 and #3 in the same season

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
With all the talk about Fr. around the country, Nichols from Kansas has largely been ignored, but she's really good too.

USC jumped out to a 15 point lead, Kansas got it back down to 1, then the Trojans pushed it all the way to 18. 2+ minutes left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Zags were up 21, Utah cut it down to 6 and then ran out of gas. Balanced scoring for GU. Pili had 32 and not nearly enough help.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Regionals Portland and Albany

Gonzaga is the closest team to Portland at 350 miles
Notre Dame appears to be the closest to Albany at 700+ miles

Reaction Score
Zags were up 21, Utah cut it down to 6 and then ran out of gas. Balanced scoring for GU. Pili had 32 and not nearly enough help.
While I'm super stoked to see Ejim and Gonzaga move on to the Sweet 16 round, it was hard to watch Pili do all the scoring in the end. Really enjoy watching her play. That was a heck of a battle between the two of them yesterday, which I expected.

Reaction Score
So no true Cinderellas this year. All # 1-4 teams are in the Sweet Sixteen except Ohio State and Kansas State. Both replaced by # 5’s Duke and Colorado. Home court and chalk held in 14 games. Not that there wasn’t a lot of excitement and great games. Not complaining. :)

Reaction Score
So no true Cinderellas this year. All # 1-4 teams are in the Sweet Sixteen except Ohio State and Kansas State. Both replaced by # 5’s Duke and Colorado. Home court and chalk held in 14 games. Not that there wasn’t a lot of excitement and great games. Not complaining. :)
Isn't Duke a 7?

Reaction Score
Duke is A 7
Also 5 Baylor beat4 VT

Reaction Score
Could mean a couple of things. The committee did a good job of seeding teams. Or that hosting the first 2 rounds is not just an advantage but a big advantage. 13 of the 16 host teams advanced.

VT lost a close game, an outcome greatly impacted by the Kitley injury.

Duke and Colorado were two legit 2nd round upsets.

It sets up a great slate of games in the sweet 16.

Reaction Score
Could mean a couple of things. The committee did a good job of seeding teams. Or that hosting the first 2 rounds is not just an advantage but a big advantage. 13 of the 16 host teams advanced.

VT lost a close game, an outcome greatly impacted by the Kitley injury.

Duke and Colorado were two legit 2nd round upsets.

It sets up a great slate of games in the sweet 16.
I think it’s a bit of both. But I’ll say that I like the top 4 seeds hosting, it rewards your regular season. The tournament is obviously the big prize, but at least this way the teams who preformed the best throughout the entire season are given an advantage in a single game elimination setting. I personally don’t mind that. I’ve read or heard on podcasts about the women’s tournament needing to adopt the men’s format where all games are neutral, I dont really agree.

In baseball we have regional hosts and super regional hosts, in my mind that’s ok. You earned those advantages throughout the course of the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom