Rodney Purvis, Transfer AND Redshirt | The Boneyard

Rodney Purvis, Transfer AND Redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This may be a question with a simple answer but I don't know it.:confused: Rodney Purvis is a transfer student, thus ineligible to play this year. Then why is he a redshirt? Isn't that redundant? If this question has been answered before, I apologize.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He isn't redshirting.

But that doesn't necessarily prevent anyone from misstating it.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that the UConn media guide and the UConn Huskies website have misstated his status? I find that hard to believe.:cool:

Reaction Score
If he redshirts, wouldn't that allow him to not lose a year of eligibility?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that most schools currently use the term redshirt for any year of non-activity, regardless of the cause. This is to some extent a misuse of the term (as initially it was solely for what is now referred as a medical redshirt) but I don't see this as a big deal. He has to sit this year, we've known that all along. His four seasons over five years began the day he enrolled at NC St., we've known that all along as well.

Reaction Score
If he redshirts, wouldn't that allow him to not lose a year of eligibility?
What? He isn't losing a year of eligibility. He played 1 year at NC St. and he has 3 years to play at UConn. Where's he losing a year of eligibility?

Reaction Score
What? He isn't losing a year of eligibility. He played 1 year at NC St. and he has 3 years to play at UConn. Where's he losing a year of eligibility?

I thought a transfer loses you a year of eligibility. Hence, he'll be a junior when he suits up. Isn't that how it's always been when you transfer from one D1 to another?

Reaction Score
I thought a transfer loses you a year of eligibility. Hence, he'll be a junior when he suits up. Isn't that how it's always been when you transfer from one D1 to another?
Nope, you have to sit out a year, but that doesn't lose you any eligibility. Look at Roscoe- transferred out after sophomore year, and still has 2 years of eligibility left. You basically have 5 years to play 4.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected then... Not sure why I thought that.

Reaction Score
Not true. However, the old Big East had a rule that if you transferred within the conference you had to sit out a year and you lost a year. That was a league rule not an NCAA rule. NCAA just says you sit out a year with no eligibility lost.

Reaction Score
Not true. However, the old Big East had a rule that if you transferred within the conference you had to sit out a year and you lost a year. That was a league rule not an NCAA rule. NCAA just says you sit out a year with no eligibility lost.
I just looked it up on Google and it appears that since 2005, transfers within the Big East for Basketball (mens and womens) and Football are strictly verboten. They are allowed for other sports per NCAA standards.

Reaction Score
Then . . . getting back to my original question, according to the UConn website and media guide, a player (in this case, R0dney) can be a transfer and thus, ineligible to play this year (but doesn't lose a year) AND he can be a redshirt and thus, ineligible to play this year (but doesn't lose a year). Talk about redundancy.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Then . . . getting back to my original question, according to the UConn website and media guide, a player (in this case, R0dney) can be a transfer and thus, ineligible to play this year (but doesn't lose a year) AND he can be a redshirt and thus, ineligible to play this year (but doesn't lose a year). Talk about redundancy.:rolleyes:
But if he sits out a year as a transfer that doesn't preclude him from using a redshirt for one of his remaining three years. Hence he is sitting as a transfer.

Reaction Score
Sorry for all my questions but, as the scorpion said to the frog, that is my nature. Why do the UConn website and the media guide have him sitting as a transfer AND a RS? In addition, if he is a redshirt this year, that's it for him. He can't be redshirted again (unless it's a medical RS, I think).

Reaction Score
Are you referring to the fact that his bio says "sitting out as a transfer" and his class says "RS Sophomore"? I think the use of redshirt in the class is simply to show that he's a sophomore but not using his second year of eligibility even though the reason isn't a redshirt. It's just an easy way to show that.

Reaction Score
Redshirt is really football terminology. The word was used to describe players brought in and stashed away as freshmen to spend heir first year hitting the weights and learning the play book. Calling someone a medical redshirt is basically verbal shorthand - the correct terminology by the NCAA rulebook would be a medical hardship. The term redshirt has just become a catchall shorthand for "not using a season of eligibility this year".

The NCAA rule at Division I is that you have five years to play four seasons. Your eligibility "clock" starts as soon as you enroll in college. You use up a year of eligibility as soon as you see any playing time - unless you fill out a hardship waiver for an injury or other reasons such as a family emergency (in which case there are restrictions, such as that you can play in a maximum of 30 percent of the regular season schedule, and no games at all in the second half of the season).

There are special circumstances when you can go beyond the five years. If you have two seasons with medical hardships, the NCAA will typically give you a sixth year. There are also exceptions for military service, religious missions, pregnancy (female only - no waiver for knocking someone up), or playing pro in a different sport (you sometimes see minor league baseball players go back to school and play football, for example). As soon as you miss a season voluntarily, though - for a transfer, or to hit the weights, etc., you have used up your leeway and can't get a hardship waiver. Same is true in the case of AJ Price, who lost a year to suspension, or else he would have been able to apply for two hardship waivers for health reasons.

In division 2, the rule is 10 semesters instead of five years - with one continuous break permitted. So you can enroll in college, play a year or two, spend 10 years working in a coal mine, and then still have the rest of our eligibility when you go back to school at age 35 or whatever.

Reaction Score
"The term redshirt has just become a catchall shorthand for "not using a season of eligibility this year". So why explain to the readers of the UConn media guide and the website that Purvis is not using a season of eligibility (whatever you want to call it), in the case of the team voluntarily, when he is NOT eligible because he is a transfer. Were not talking about your morning paper here but the media guide which I would think would more likely adhere to NCAA dicta than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom