Rob Dauster: UConn "Thoroughly Mediocre" | The Boneyard

Rob Dauster: UConn "Thoroughly Mediocre"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gives Bazz some praise then calls the rest of the team mediocre. I think mediocre is a bit harsh to describe this team. Mediocre would describe their play in Texas, but outside of that stretch I think it's a bit much to say. What do you guys think?

2. Shabazz Napier, UConn
: Outside of a forgettable trip to Texas, Napier has been sensational for an otherwise thoroughly mediocre UConn team. The Huskies have won four of their last five and regained their footing in the AAC thanks to Napier, who is now averaging 17.8 points, 6.0 boards, 5.9 assists and 2.0 steals while shooting 44.3% from long range.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...sketball-player-of-the-year-power-rankings-2/

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I can't really dispute that. While calling the rest of the team mediocre, he is giving Bazz alot of credit. I can't argue it because DD is not consistent to be called sensational, and Boat has been steady but not anything more than that, Calhoun has underperformed and Giffey has over performed, and LK has been better than expected, and our centers are a work in progress. So how can I argue it? Bazz has been spectacular though.

I don't want to imagine what would have been if Bazz left after last season.

However, this team can be really good, especially if DD plays like he can every time, they rebound, and others continue to knock down outside shots.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think it is a wholly untrue sentiment. Napier clearly make UConn better, but without him, UConn is indeed a mediocre basketball team. There is no low post presence, sub par rebounding and the 2nd & 3rd most productive players on the team are somewhat inconsistent.

That said, if you take a NPY candidate off any team, 9 times out of 10 the result would be mediocrity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
mediocre among NCAA tournament teams, but not among all college basketball teams. We would be in the top 1/3 of every conference and the top one or two team in many conferences. I guess technically he is correct, but to say the team is mediocre minus a consensus top 5 impact player in the country doesn't tell me much. There have been many top teams in NCAA history that would have been mediocre if they didn't have their best player that year.

Reaction Score
Take Napier away and make Boatright the PG. Then what's out record? Still better than .500. Maybe another couple of loses. IMHO, we're still in top 40. So I think calling the rest of the team mediocre is harsh.

Reaction Score
Not sure mediocre is the right word. I'd say inconsistent. We all know how good Boat and Daniels could be. Brimah is improving rapidly. Everyone needs to put it together. Every game.

caw

Reaction Score
mediocre among NCAA tournament teams, but not among all college basketball teams. We would be in the top 1/3 of every conference and the top one or two team in many conferences. I guess technically he is correct, but to say the team is mediocre minus a consensus top 5 impact player in the country doesn't tell me much. There have been many top teams in NCAA history that would have been mediocre if they didn't have their best player that year.

Hell just don't count the starting PG for almost any of the top 25 and see what you call the resulting team.

Keep in mind Boat is probably one of the bet backups in college right now.

Cuse without Ennis has no PG
Zona without McConnell is just like last years mediocre team
MSU without Appling
Etc.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think the Mediocre holds the correct level of harshness. UConn is in the mid 100's (out of about 300) in both rebounding and assists and is ranked in the high double digits in scoring and FG%. The first 3 numbers, while offset partially, would certainly be lower without Napier, the result would be mediocre at best...But so was the 2010-11 team.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Given that the guy used "Outside of . . . forgettable" and "otherwise thoroughly mediocre" in the same sentence, he's either not a very good writer or doesn't have a good editor. The quality of his observation is debatable. It's just another dubious Boneyard post. Like this one.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Have some other players step up, win some games and prove him wrong. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
Have some other players step up, win some games and prove him wrong. Problem solved.

KO will not take the ball out of Bazz's hands --and he shouldn't. So the point is moot.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
KO will not take the ball out of Bazz's hands --and he shouldn't. So the point is moot.
Huh? Who said anything about taking the ball out of his hands? I said we needed other players step up to be better than mediocre. Unless Bazz plans on scoring 80 a game and defending 5 positions my point is not moot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure mediocre is the right word. I'd say inconsistent. We all know how good Boat and Daniels could be. Brimah is improving rapidly. Everyone needs to put it together. Every game.
Brimah's the wild card. If he becomes a 10/8 guy every game, we are no longer mediocre.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Brimah's the wild card. If he becomes a 10/8 guy every game, we are no longer mediocre.
...and if Daniels shows up the way we've seen in spurts. We'd be pretty damn good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think the Mediocre holds the correct level of harshness.

I agree. The Florida game was a thrill, but otherwise even most of our wins have been a slog. But that doesn't mean we can't hit another gear from here on out, we still have room for improvement.

Reaction Score
...and if Daniels shows up the way we've seen in spurts. We'd be pretty damn good.
With Daniels injury I hope Facey finally gets his chance, you never know.

Reaction Score

I agree. According to ESPN for the season Brimah avg 4.0 pts, 2.9 boards

Past 5 games: 8.6 pts, 5.4 boards. Almost double what he's avg. all season. Not sure if this is an anomaly or if we are really seeing progress out of Brimah

Reaction Score
Huh? Who said anything about taking the ball out of his hands? I said we needed other players step up to be better than mediocre. Unless Bazz plans on scoring 80 a game and defending 5 positions my point is not moot.

How does another player step and win the game if Bazz is controlling the offense with the ball in his hands? Where it belongs. That's not so hard to understand.

Reaction Score
How does another player step and win the game if Bazz is controlling the offense with the ball in his hands? Where it belongs. That's not so hard to understand.

They don't have to step up and win the game, but they have to contribute and help, like Memphis where DeAndre played the best game of his career and Kromah chipped in with dbl figures. Bazz will still be the lead dawg, but if DeAndre could give us 90% of what he did against Memphis the majority of the time, and if Boat could remember how to convert 2pt baskets again they would shed the inconsistent/mediocre label and make this team far more dangerous.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Im not even sure how to answer your question. Are you suggestion that only point guards have the ability to decide games because they are the primary ball handlers? Other players step up by scoring, rebounding, playing defense, hustling for loose balls, blocking shots, playing with heart and about 1000 other ways.

Reaction Score
I don't think it is a whole untrue sentiment. Napier clearly make UConn better, but without him, UConn is indeed a mediocre basketball team. There is no low post presence, sub par rebounding and the 2nd & 3rd most productive players on the team are somewhat inconsistent.

That said, if you take a NPY candidate off any team, 9 times out of 10 the result would be mediocrity.
One player in BB is the difference between final 4 and NIT.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

see the Stanford game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25