Rip up the Rotations and Game Plans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rip up the Rotations and Game Plans

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Basketball can be a tough game if your team can’t shoot, every other mistake you make gets magnified and your margin for error is small. Too often this UConn team has that problem.

Having said that we really screwed up in that thin margin for error territory. If we didn’t have Cole/Sanogo all season or IW last night, I can’t imagine how disappointing we would be.

Our starting line-up just doesn’t work for us and is responsible for a long list of slow starts. Although, they played terrible today, I would try Polley, Gaffney or Hawkins in the starting line-up, in an effort to shake up rotations that’s have failed us. Pick one and change things up. It is clear that teams are packing the paint and giving us open 3 looks.

Of the starters, Sanogo, our best player, played the least minutes (29). Whatever crazy match-up mythology our staff was seeking backfired. Twice when he was out in the second half they scored on lay-up drives with an unprotected rim. When you let your opponent dictate the match-ups, you generally lose, as we did last night.

Our bench went 0-8 with 2 points from the line. As a team. we shot 29% from the field and 23% from the 3 line. Lots of guys are not in the gym enough. What’s enough? When you have confidence your shot is going in and it does. Until then it’s not enough.

As for Tyler Polley, standing in one corner so that your defender has an opportunity to rest before going on offense - doesn't work. Tyler needs to run off screens, go corner to corner and around loop double screens to the top of the key. Most of all he needs to take the ball to the basket or go for intermediate shots. At 6-9 he can get the ball off but as importantly get to the foul line where he’s actually been consistent. It’s also a way to gain confidence.

Hawkins is in a confidence crisis. Don’t underestimate the extent of the crisis. He is a good, talented kid who wants to do well. But, we need to figure his role out ASAP. Right now Danny obviously views him as someone who will cost you the game rather than win it. Evidence was the abscence of late gane playing time last night.

Whaley had a great game, and whoever did Creighton’s scouting report on UConn, IW should thank too.

What worked well last night? Our on ball defense was actually pretty good and we did not reach in, we played defense with our feet.

We have the best dressed assistant coaches in the Big East. Yet, far too often Chief looks up at the scoreboard half way through the first half and we have something like 13 points. Time to change things, and hope it works. Given our poor shooting everything has a handicap to it, but we need to change the offensive chemistry. I though Tom was very engaged with the players last night sensing defeat as we came out after halftime. I did not detect a sense of urgency across the board. Maybe this is subjective and unfair but that was Chief’s observation.
Good stuff here, Chief. I’ve been of the opinion for a long time that we don’t recruit enough shooters. I will admit that I thought Hawkins would be the guy who changes that. It doesn’t appear to be the case this year, unfortunately.

The offense isn’t generally run to create open outside shots, and the guys who drive are too focused on taking it all the way and rarely kick out to shooters.

I like the idea of changing the chemistry. But unless the shooters - mainly Hawkins and Polley - not only start making shots but have teammates looking to set them up we are probably in for a lot of hit or miss performances like last night. The best shot is an open shot from your best shooters. Gotta find ways to make that happen more. Particularly when the game is on the line.

Reaction Score
Our bench shot 0% from the floor, and didn't make a basket. Could the recruits sitting there with no playing time have done worse? NOPE...if you think playing the same players with the same issues for the last few years is a winning formula moving forward...so be it.
this is so dumb it's funny. there's a little thing called D and it's half the game.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Danny should have called a TO 1 minute into the game after he saw how lazy we were on offense.

Instead the game went 5-6 minutes with no stoppages of absolutely horrible offensive basketball. That rhythm continued and played into Creighton’s favor.

Reaction Score
in 2010 JC lost 6 of 7 games decided by 4 points or less. I believe that season ended with all 5 starters on the bench.
in 2005 JC lost 4 of 5 games decided by 4 points or less.
Don’t u think a coach with 15+ years of excellence, numerous BE titles, 2 NC’s and another FF gets a teeny tiny bit more leeway/support than a coach whose major accomplishment at the same school is loosing a first round tourney game?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Don’t u think a coach with 15+ years of excellence, numerous BE titles, 2 NC’s and another FF gets a teeny tiny bit more leeway/support than a coach whose major accomplishment at the same school is loosing a first round tourney game?
Yes I do, that statement was in direct response to someone saying JC never lost close games at this % clip. Wrong is wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't think rotation shake-ups are the answer, but at times a coach has to try something, anything new. Sure, start Polley, but everyone will be calling for Polley to be pulled from the rotation after his first cold game. That's what happened in November.

3PT Percentages
  • Cole: .327
  • Polley: .327
  • Hawkins: .321
  • Gaffney: .313

Martin is a surprising .422 and Jackson at .469 on low volume.

Our "shooters" simply cannot shoot. It does not help that Polley is having the worst shooting season of his five years here, by 3% no less.

We've lost five games. Seton Hall is the only loss where we shot the ball well from deep. In our other four losses, we're a combined 18/87 beyond the arc. That's .206. If we shot even 30% from three we're 19-1. In today's game you have to be able to shoot the ball at a reasonable clip. We don't have to shoot 40% as a team, but we can't routinely shoot 20-25% from range.

Reaction Score
Great post Chief.

I think Hurley and the coaching staff were caught looking ahead to Nova and did not have our guys ready for this game. We let them dictate matchups and the short leash on Akok, Gaffney, and Hawkins is hurting their confidence and their play is getting worse because of it. I don't mind riding with the hot hand but when Polley, Martin, and Jackson don't have their shot they still get their minutes. I'm glad Hurley admitted in presser that he needs to fix what's happening with the bench. Hopefully we'll see a change starting Saturday.
Yes. This and DePaul were trap games alley!!!

Reaction Score
I don't think rotation shake-ups are the answer, but at times a coach has to try something, anything new. Sure, start Polley, but everyone will be calling for Polley to be pulled from the rotation after his first cold game. That's what happened in November.

3PT Percentages

Our "shooters" simply cannot shoot. It does not help that Polley is having the worst shooting season of his five years here, by 3% no less.

We've lost five games. Seton Hall is the only loss where we shot the ball well from deep. In our other four losses, we're a combined 18/87 beyond the arc. That's .206. If we shot even 30% from three we're 19-1. In today's game you have to be able to shoot the ball at a reasonable clip. We don't have to shoot 40% as a team, but we can't routinely shoot 20-25% from range.
We don’t. We shoot the three well on conference, in fact weren’t we like 2 or 3 in the league? Once we heard that (DePaul) the ball decided it was too good to go in its home.

Reaction Score
If we can find a way to convert all the bad takes in this thread to baskets made on Saturday vs. Nova, we should be set to break 100 and win by 20.

Reaction Score
I agree. We did not respond well when they took away our core action and Jackson was one of the worst offenders. He should never be taking a step back three

I don’t think Sanogo has fouled out of a game this year. On some occasions we’ve lost the last few min of the first half. I agree he’s prone to the cheap one, I disagree it’s come on hedge action.

I also disagree that by stopping that well protect him. If a guard gets down hill and creates contact in the paint he’s still get fouls called on him.
In several games, Adama has picked up 1 or 2 early fouls participating in this silly hedging action. You miss the point, if you think it’s about fouling out. It’s about your best player, wasting minutes on the bench or playing tentative in post action after picking up the early fouls 25 feet from the basket.
Chief recalls Jim use to have a firm 2 fouls in the first half and sit rule - and other coach’s have various versions of that concept. So it’s about the valuable minutes lost and not just that a guy may foul out at the end. I hope this helps. Chief

Reaction Score
Good stuff here, Chief. I’ve been of the opinion for a long time that we don’t recruit enough shooters. I will admit that I thought Hawkins would be the guy who changes that. It doesn’t appear to be the case this year, unfortunately.

The offense isn’t generally run to create open outside shots, and the guys who drive are too focused on taking it all the way and rarely kick out to shooters.

I like the idea of changing the chemistry. But unless the shooters - mainly Hawkins and Polley - not only start making shots but have teammates looking to set them up we are probably in for a lot of hit or miss performances like last night. The best shot is an open shot from your best shooters. Gotta find ways to make that happen more. Particularly when the game is on the line.
I think this year, Danny did adjust his recruiting to include valuing shooting more. It will take a couple years for that to play out in games. Danny will have to live a little with the fact that many great shooters aren’t the best defensive guys. That should be interesting to watch?

Reaction Score

3PT Percentages

Wow, 20% from 3 in 4 of our 5 close loses. That’s says it all. Thanks.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
In several games, Adama has picked up 1 or 2 early fouls participating in this silly hedging action. You miss the point, if you think it’s about fouling out. It’s about your best player, wasting minutes on the bench or playing tentative in post action after picking up the early fouls 25 feet from the basket.
Chief recalls Jim use to have a firm 2 fouls in the first half and sit rule - and other coach’s have various versions of that concept. So it’s about the valuable minutes lost and not just that a guy may foul out at the end. I hope this helps. Chief
He’s averaging 29 minutes per game chief. In the 3 L’s we’ve taken he played 29, 32 and 34 minutes.

This has not been a factor.

What has been a factor is our 3rd best in the country 2 pt % defense which is built on the concepts you want to throw out.

Reaction Score
He’s averaging 29 minutes per game chief. In the 3 L’s we’ve taken he played 29, 32 and 34 minutes.

This has not been a factor.

What has been a factor is our 3rd best in the country 2 pt % defense which is built on the concepts you want to throw out.
Per ESPN website he’s averaging 27 minutes per game.
Maybe I am old school, but what wrong with him averaging 33-36 minutes a game? Having your best guy play an additional 5 minutes a game in the loses you cite, makes a huge difference when you are losing by 1-4 points per game.
Just last game with Adama out, they drove to the basket for two unmolested layups down the middle. And look what happened to our rebounding last game!
Chief equates the Bigs hedging 25 feet out with the contrast of Jim Calhoun taking the foot off the gas with the pressing once he got more talent. Danny’s not at Wagner anymore.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I totally agree that even though Sanogo makes the occasional pass out of the post he is still holding the ball too long there and trying to create for himself instead of others. There was one play that he was being triple teamed and Martin was wide open just under the basket and he refused to pass to him for a layup and took an contested shot and missed. We just need him to be smarter with the ball when teams are sagging on him with 2 to 3 guys.
My memory was the sequence in the first play of the game. We ran the clock down, didn't hit Martin for an open shot but passed to a player under the hoop who had no shot. It was a head scratcher especially Sanogo looked directly at Martin but wouldn't pass him the ball. These kinds of pass choices killed what would have been a 3 pointer for Martin. The clock ran out. From that point on Martin didn't seem engaged in this game.

Reaction Score
My memory was the sequence in the first play of the game. We ran the clock down, didn't hit Martin for an open shot but passed to a player under the hoop who had no shot. It was a head scratcher especially Sanogo looked directly at Martin but wouldn't pass him the ball. These kinds of pass choices killed what would have been a 3 pointer for Martin. The clock ran out. From that point on Martin didn't seem engaged in this game.
Chief will be 100% transparent, I agree and I think RJ needs to demonstrate some leadership and have a players only meeting.
What some may not realize is Adama’s primary language is French and his first exposure to basketball was literally just a few years ago. So when Danny said out if frustration at his presser Tuesday, that Adama needed to be more fundamental, more coachable and that he was 3-10; he wasn’t wrong. However, I think it’s not for the usual reasons a player is that way. Chief thinks in this case it’s language and exposure to the sport. His work ethic is excellent. It’s actually amazing how far he’s progressed and if we had a couple respected 3 ball shooters, he wouldn’t see all the congestion down low.

Reaction Score
dont throw stats at me. if you watch them play youd rather martin take a 3 over Aj every.single.time.

would you rather akok take a 3 to win the game over cole or polley too lol
Yes that's just about the most ridiculous post I've ever seen, and should be used in math classes to illustrate how stats lie.

Anyone using that to show that Jackson is a decent shooter hasn't watched much of the games this year. It seems like he's just as likely to airball as make one now, I think last night at the end of the game was the first time he's made one with a defender within ten feet of him, it goes on and on. Jackson is a useful player for a lot of reasons but he is an awful, awful shooter

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Hawkins with his liabilities but.... might as well play him for offense. Roll the dice.
He was first guy off the bench against creighton. The dice were rolled, they came up ace deuce.( craps) . He had some good looks that he bricked hard. Way too bricked for as a talented shooter as he looks to be. Close misses and down and ups are ok, you can’t make everything. But he was missing open 3s by literal feet. Wasn’t his night. No issue with pine there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
One of my complaints is that we don't have a zone in our defensive arsenal. There are two reasons that is bad. Once is obviously because we may need it on the defensive end against some teams. That has happened a few times this year.

The other reason is that teams need to be able to practice against zone. This team clearly needs to practice against zone. I long believed that playing Syracuse twice a year was a huge benefit to every team in the Big East. You knew those games were coming. You had to have a plan to execute your offense against that zone. Given what we've shown on offense, this team is going to see some zone.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He was first guy off the bench against creighton. The dice were rolled, they came up ace deuce.( craps) . He had some good looks that he bricked hard. Way too bricked for as a talented shooter as he looks to be. Close misses and down and ups are ok, you can’t make everything. But he was missing open 3s by literal feet. Wasn’t his night. No issue with pine there.
RAF made mention of that a couple of times

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom