RIP Tony Bennett | The Boneyard

RIP Tony Bennett

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thought this was for the basketball coach. Tony Bennett was indeed a tremendous entertainer. Not many of his ilk left. RIP.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wasnt he doing gigs with Lady Gaga up until a few years ago? Pretty incredible for his age
I remember listening to the first Bennett/Gaga album and was blown away at how good he still sounded and how well she handled the classics. Fascinating thing with Alzheimer's is how guys like Glen Campbell and Bennett were just about completely checked out mentally, except when it came to their music. Like others said, a life well lived.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I finally caught him late-career at Jorgensen . He was still great. I always liked him better than Sinatra.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

... Fascinating thing with Alzheimer's is how guys like Glen Campbell and Bennett were just about completely checked out mentally, except when it came to their music.
On a more serious note, I offer that my college classmate Al Power has been notably engaged in research, writing, and clinical care around music & memory, and the therapeutic benefits for people with dementia.

At the 49 minute mark, the discussion focuses on the arts. Not sure if the link goes to this point, or to the full hour long interview.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Thought this was for the basketball coach. Tony Bennett was indeed a tremendous entertainer. Not many of his ilk left. RIP.
Ditto. Context, setting & recency all contributed to our misconstruing the mention.

As an aside, dealing with the actual subject of the post, I met him in 2000, in Chicago. Myself and a couple friends decided to blow off the meal and cocktail party on the first night of the event we were there for, and went to a highly recommended place for Chicago style deep dish pizza. Waitress gave us a table, kind of in the darkest corner of the room and took our order. 10 minutes later, she asks if we would mind moving to a different table. Actually, it was more like "We have to move you gentlemen to a different table." The reason turned out to be Tony Bennett (and two unidentified younger guys). Halfway through our deep dish he walked over and thanked us for relinquishing his 'usual table'. That was it. Maybe 5 seconds. No handshakes, no conversation other than the thanks. It still seemed pretty cool at the time.

Reaction Score
I remember listening to the first Bennett/Gaga album and was blown away at how good he still sounded and how well she handled the classics. Fascinating thing with Alzheimer's is how guys like Glen Campbell and Bennett were just about completely checked out mentally, except when it came to their music. Like others said, a life well lived.

Alzheimer effects both episodic memory as well as procedural memory. Fortunately Bennett still had his procedural memory so when the music came on he could instinctively remember how to perform. It's amazing that he was performing until his last days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom